SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Misses upon throttle up, idles fine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 Mercedes 450SL , 2004 Mercedes S430
Misses upon throttle up, idles fine

OK. Here's my scenario. Car was idling perfectly. Couldn't even tell it was running. Accelerated ok too but seemed to have less power in kickdown at higher speeds. Don't usually drive it too hard but I began noticing this as I began driving it harder. Also, occasionally seems to surge and ebb when accelerating at speed. So, I'd done everything tune-up wise except spark plug wires so changed them out. Car ran about the same. Next, watched a video on mercedessource.com which made a good case for cleaning injectors thoroughly. Removed them, cleaned them using one of the methods on youtube (tube attached to injector, fill tube with fuel system cleaner, blast through injector with air gun on other end of tube). Did that, reinstalled injectors. Distinct miss. Removed injectors once more. Found one injector missing tip. Purchased new injector. Reinstalled everything. Runs only slightly better but with distinctive miss. Need help diagnosing from here. Could I have hurt an injector, like the one with the missing tip by using too much air pressure when cleaning ? Could it be the fuel distributor ?
Please help.

Sorry, 1980 450sl with 145k. Have owned for about 2 years

Last edited by tmurphytmurphy; 12-02-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: forgot to list car model and year
Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'73 450SL
had the same issue on my '73 450SL. my mechanic sold me a can of Liqui Moly injector cleaner and a can valve cleaner. ran even rougher for a couple of days and then the problem cleared up. hope this helps