SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 1988 Fuel Distributor Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560sl
1988 Fuel Distributor Question

Figured I'd ask the community cause I just got some conflicting information on the operation of the Fuel Distributor. I have an '88 560SL

My Fuel Distributor (FD) was not flowing fuel out to two cylinders. Thus I got a new gasket/diaphragm an carefully replaced it following CIS instructions. I thought I rebuilt it ok. After I installed it, I tested it for gas flow up/out of the top to each injector line. I energized the fuel pumps and now I have a little bit of gas coming up and out of the threaded holes. But per a video I saw on a You Tube video, the threaded holes are supposed to be dry, no gas coming up and out of them, unless I press the air plate down, which causes the control plunger to move up allowing gas to flow into the upper half of the FD and then out the injector holes. So, I thought my rebuild of the FD had failed . Each one of the eight injector holes fills with gas (uniformly) when I energized the fuel pumps.

I contacted German Star/CIS-Flow Tech and set up an appointment to have my FD rebuilt.

Just for kicks put the FD back on the car and started it up. It runs fantastic except at idle. Runs horrible at idle and will die if I don't rev the engine. I figured that the leaking describe above was probably flooding the engine. But perhaps me messing with control plunger adjustment screw is more of the issue now.

Anyway, I stopped by a local Mercedes repair shop today as they have a 380SL for sale that I was interested in and talked to a mechanic. I told him about my FD and he said that a small amount of gas coming out of the injector holes was ok when the fuel system was energized and to not be alarmed with that. Contrary to what I saw on you tube.

So before I send off the FD to German Star to spend over $500, I thought I'd reach out to you all to see what you think/know. Is it a problem is a little gas comes up out of the holes with the fuel pumps running?

Thanks for you time. Happy Thanksgiving too

Last edited by orbit398; 11-22-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: forgot to add model