SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Car Show Shinw

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes SLC 300 Polar White
Car Show Shinw

Hi everyone,

Watching the Barrette- Jackson auction and I notice how shinny and clear all the windows are on the cars. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations on how to get my SLC windows so clear and shinny? Looking on line there are numerous stories some suggesting using extra fine steel wool. Before I do anything serious I would like to hear any proven results from actual users in the MB world.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-12-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Canadac300
Hi everyone,

Watching the Barrette- Jackson auction and I notice how shinny and clear all the windows are on the cars. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations on how to get my SLC windows so clear and shinny? Looking on line there are numerous stories some suggesting using extra fine steel wool. Before I do anything serious I would like to hear any proven results from actual users in the MB world.
Thanks,
Mike
Steel wool is a common solution from the days of hotrods. So is use of certain kinds of acid. You'll have to look that up yourself. BUT if you're referring to the dots that speckle these windows (front or rear) then neither will work. The problem is INSIDE the window itself as the lamination ages it forms these pits. Remember your SLC has a rear tempered glass similar to the windshield. Removing it and replacing them is done VERY carefully as they are uber prone to cracking.

As far as "proven"? Well you'll just have to take my experience and word for it.