SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL
View Poll Results: Interested in a hazard switch button?
Yes!
100.00%
Not really, but cool.
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

SL/R107: Interest in Replacement Hazard Switch Buttons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
450SL
Question Interest in Replacement Hazard Switch Buttons?

Hello everyone! I have a friend and forum member who's got a 450SL and asked me to help make him a new hazard switch button.
It sounds like they're notorious for the white coming off and cracking, which I suspect is due to the bulb below creating heat.
From what he could find online, it's difficult to find a correct matching button that doesn't cost a lot and also doesn't include the whole switch assembly.
After getting the button designed in CAD and a few made, he thought there may be others interested, so... Is there any interest in a button from this forum's members?
Would you want them finished, painted? Unfinished?
Thoughts on what you might pay for one?

Material is red ABS plastic, 3D printed, and either the vertical "HAZARD" text or the triangle design. Not sure if there are other variants, but those would also be possible, or custom designs if interested.
While not identical to the originals, you may be able to finish them with sanding and a heavy clear coat after applying white paint to the letters/triangle.
It'd probably be a good idea to change the bulb in the switch to an LED to cut down on the heat which might be why the originals cracked.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
450SL
Are you selling them? What year(s) do they fit?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
450SL
Trying to gauge interest and determine if it's worth it.
No idea about fit for what years. I did this for my friend's 1979 450 SL. I found a detailed post on another site with pictures, looks like it'd apply to 78-81 but possibly earlier too.