SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: High idle FIXD!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350, 380SL, SL550
High idle FIXD!!

I finally found a solution to the high idle in my 84 380SL, and I owe it to this forum big time. My car did not have a idle control valve where it should have been but my mechanic apparently boot legged something. So I bought a new valve and the control unit as well. I put in the control unit but had mechanic install the valve plus a couple other things. Well, at first it was a total bummer as it didn’t work so I came back to the forum and someone mentioned something about a overload relay so I dove into the foot well and sure enough the 10amp fuse was bad. Bought one and now she’s idling, driving and shifting the best she ever has. So my 2.5 years of repair work are done for now. Engine rebuild, new radiator, condenser, compressor, steering rebuild, exhaust redo, paint job,new soft top, cruise control unit, new carpet in cabin and trunk, new chrome pieces around windshield, new front grill, turn signal boxes, rear shocks,new wood panel, new rear view mirror, new clear headlight rings, and alot more. Now I am broke and can’t afford to drive it so it will stay garaged with my R230(kidding) Big thing this forum taught me is if you’re going to own an older Mercedes you better be able to learn how to fix stuff or have an tree that grows big bills. I was able to do alot myself because of this forum so keep contributing. Thank you. GDAY

There she is. I didn’t like the OEM turbine wheels but I did like the 560 so I switched them out

My antique tag with Beverly Hills Mercedes Benz frame.

Footwell LED lighting. Newer navy MB tex interior with added jumpseat. Covers were not to hard to put on. Coming soon: touchscreen infotainment system with GPS and premium channels.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 560sl
Congrats on getting the car running.

Now drive it cuz the next issue is coming either way😆.

I like you am finding it better to work on it myself.

have fun.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 R107
Smile

Thanks for the post GMDay73

I just bought a 1983 380SL - had exactly the same high idle problem.

Pulled the relay out, and sure enough the fuse was blown. Put a new one in, popped the relay back in, and fired the car up. Idles perfectly now!

Thanks so much for saving me a lot of time and frustration.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1988 560 SL
High Idle

Great looking car! My 380 is identical and love it every second. Took me 4 years learning and fixing but worth every $ and every minute spent on it.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 R350, 1984 380SL
You lucked out

I am sure you installed new throttle position switch during engine rebuild. I did that too but when it failed I did not want to take the intake manifold apart. So, since my cruise control wasn’t working anyway because I am using LED brake lights, I took the cruise actuator apart and installed a micro switch rigged to provide ground to Lambda for throttle idle position. I did not bother to setup a second switch for open throttle ground signal to Lambda. When the throttle mounted position switch fails you will get a high (800 rpm) idle, which can get quite annoying.