SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Is there a general tool that can replace the chrome top of the hard top lock?

Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380SL
Is there a general tool that can replace the chrome top of the hard top lock?

Because the hard top lock gets stiff to turn over time, it happens -- whether by myself or the mechanics that work on the car -- to strip the chrome thingy on top that turns the hard top lock. And they are crazy expensive to replace.

Has anyone developed a tool, or is there a tool available to turn the hard top lock WITHOUT using the chrome thingy that strips out over time and loses its shape? Is there a socket wrench attachment? This would make the removal and re-installation of the hard top so much easier.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Jtl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
560SL
Roof locks

You may mean the part under the chrome if I’m misunderstanding. I have trouble with one of mine. I usually just pull off the good one and use it to tighten other side. Sorry if I miss understand. I’m about to begin my search for the lock cable to release the hard top center lock in rear. Dam cable won’t pull enough to hold latch over far enough. I scratched the heck out of my paint trying to take if the hard top like using the roof as a turtle shell on my back. Youth had more muscle than brains. Now I seek assistant for the off and on process. Hahaha.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
450SL
I have never had nor heard of this problem. If your latches are that hard to turn they need to be cleaned or adjusted. Are they only stiff when installing or also with the top off? Any mechanic worth a damn should not force it to the point the cap strips and should pay to replace if they do. Find a different shop.