SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 AMG Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 325i
SL65 AMG Aftermarket Stereo?

Hi All,

I have my eyes set on either and SL55 AMG or SL65 AMG within 6 - 8 months from now. New or pre-owned, as long as I am satisfied with the options, I'm good to go -- I will prefer pre-owned to save some money, but would buy new if necessary to get what I want.

My question is this... I am starting my own car audio company, so I would like to have my product installed in all of my cars. The BMW 325i that I drive now is under construction and will become my company show car in the future once I have something else to drive (eg: SL65 AMG or SL55 AMG).

I am wondering how friendly these cars are to aftermarket stereo equipment? Anyone have good trunk pictures? Perhaps installation experiences?

I am interested in installing a single 10" or 12" subwoofer in a small sealed enclosure, and perhaps upgrading the front door speakers and/or using one of my amps to power the factory ones if they are satisfactory. I may defer this job to a professional... I have done install work many a time, but not on a car in this price range! It hurt me enough to take the air grinder to the sheet metal of the BMW

Any comments on this would be great! If I have no options for stereo in this car I may have to pick something else as I would really want to be able to show my product in anything I am driving.

PS: Yes, I am serious... my company is not my source of income, nor is my current day job. I am getting into day trading FOREX and have developed a very powerful system, a 100% return in 3 weeks during testing... so I will probably be buying outright or perhaps financing just to build credit score. I know it probably sounds absurd for someone in my age group driving what I have now to be asking this question, but be assured, I am serious and not trolling the boards or anything.

Thanks guys!

- Jake
Old 07-24-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 Stereo Information

Jake,

I own a SL55, and have been researching options myself and thought I'd share what I've found.

In my doors I'm using a three way setup, a 6inch mid, a 4inch mid, and a tweeter per door. MB Quart Qs. This seems to be a fairly simple install.

The signal on the other hand gets complicated. On some of the bose systems, it segregates out the frequency pre-amp. Most people use something like a JL Audio cleensweep to blend everything back together. There is a fiber output on the back of the unit but most everyone I've spoken with says it cannot be used. I've spoken with Tweeters buckhead Atlanta location (do lots of high end and show cars) and they've told me the same.

Best location for a sub I've seen is in the passenger's floorboard firing twoards the passenger (right beneath their feet).

I don't have any pictures, but my car is getting outfitted this week so I'll let you know what we can make happen.

GL

Joseph