MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230-49/)
-   -   SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Angry SL (Updated exhaust) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/284717-angry-sl-updated-exhaust.html)

Akademiks 02-26-2009 12:38 PM

Angry SL (Updated exhaust)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuQtzt7K1M

That's what it sounds like now. Did a quick video of before and after, I'm scheduled to go get the CATs removed this weekend! Exciting! I can't wait to hear how much more pissed it's going to sound. :D

IngenereAMG 02-26-2009 04:55 PM

Can you say...... NASCAR!

Definitely changes the character of the car. Good job!

CA_E55 02-26-2009 05:35 PM

On the SL65, the first 30 sec or so the wastegates are fully open to accelerate catalytic converter start-up and the sound is very aggressive - after that the sound changes to a much more mellow rumble - I take it that is the same with the SL600?

Akademiks 02-27-2009 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by CA_E55 (Post 3378940)
On the SL65, the first 30 sec or so the wastegates are fully open to accelerate catalytic converter start-up and the sound is very aggressive - after that the sound changes to a much more mellow rumble - I take it that is the same with the SL600?

Yeah. It's the same. :)

Akademiks 02-27-2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG (Post 3378841)
Can you say...... NASCAR!

Definitely changes the character of the car. Good job!

:y

Your into tuning vehicles so I got a quick question for you, is there anyway to ALWAYS have the wastegates open? That way the SL ALWAYS has that aggressive sound. Like could I go into the computer via STAR or some program and tell the car to keep the wastegates open?

xavier55 02-27-2009 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3379660)

Your into tuning vehicles so I got a quick question for you, is there anyway to ALWAYS have the wastegates open?

ALWAYS :eek:

it may sound awesome to you but the wastegates are just a bypass around the turbo. you may as well just take the turbos off

denice25 02-27-2009 12:50 AM

pretty cool man.....

Akademiks 02-27-2009 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by xavier55 (Post 3379721)
ALWAYS :eek:

it may sound awesome to you but the wastegates are just a bypass around the turbo. you may as well just take the turbos off

Ok, so my question still stands... can it be done?

Akademiks 02-27-2009 02:21 AM

What I basically want, is the car to sound like that at idle no matter what. And then I want it to keep sounding like that till say 20mph, then it can stfu. :D

Like, I notice it revs higher. The car idles at like 1200rpms (don't know exactly) when I first start it up, then after it dies down, it settles at like 600rpms (again, don't know exactly). I basically want to keep it up at 1200 ALL THE TIME. I'm pretty sure this can be changed with a computer.

Anyone know. I don't care about wasting gas, so if anyone knows how to do this I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

FFemt5287 02-27-2009 02:38 AM

keeping the wastegates open at all times would not direct exhaust gasses through the turbine wheels of the turbos, therefore not making any boost from the turbos. you would suffer quite the performance loss. it might sound better to you, but all show and no go without the turbos.
the idle rpm's im sure could be changed by computer programming, but i have no idea what long term ramifications, if any, would exist from doing so.
the car sounds sick as it is with that new exhaust, i say leave the wastegates alone and let those turbos scream! god i love the sound of forced air induction!

Thericker 02-27-2009 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3379829)

Bro I think you missed "Turbo 101"

There is a wastegate on our turbos .......(wastegate) in the turbo is operated by pressurized air... When pressurized air is introduced to the wastegate, it will open, enabling the exhaust gasses to escape and skip the turbo. This will result in a dramatic loss of boost, because there will be no gas which would spin the turbo.

Do you follow what "xavier55" was trying to tell you now?

If you left the wastegate "open" you'd never get boost to run your Turbo's essentially you'd be running Turbo-less:smash:

Sorry bud, do a little basic research on your car...

Edit: You beat me by a couple min lol... were on the same page though:)

Originally Posted by FFemt5287 (Post 3379874)
keeping the wastegates open at all times would not direct exhaust gasses through the turbine wheels of the turbos, therefore not making any boost from the turbos. you would suffer quite the performance loss. it might sound better to you, but all show and no go without the turbos.
the idle rpm's im sure could be changed by computer programming, but i have no idea what long term ramifications, if any, would exist from doing so.
the car sounds sick as it is with that new exhaust, i say leave the wastegates alone and let those turbos scream! god i love the sound of forced air induction!

Akademiks 02-27-2009 02:50 AM

I wasn't so much asking how turbo's work, this I know, I've taken auto in high school and have read more then my fair share of books on turbo's and the way cars work.

What I was trying to asking was can it be over-ridden by the computer? So at idle, for example, the wastegates would open and the rpms would rise to the desired amount (this case, lets assume 1200rpms), and while I'm stopped (at a red light for example) it stays this way. Then when I take off the line, wastegate shuts off and the car continues normally, with the turbo's.

Hopefully this clears my question. I just want this at idle, then it shuts off when I take off.

Let me repeat myself so I don't get a lecture on Compression ratios of blowers, I just want to know if the computer in the car can engage the wastegate and raise the rpms while I'm at idle, then when I drive it drives normal.

We all on the same page? :)

Thericker 02-27-2009 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3378287)

That's what it sounds like now. Did a quick video of before and after, I'm scheduled to go get the CATs removed this weekend! Exciting! I can't wait to hear how much more pissed it's going to sound. :D

Funny that sounds verrry similar to mine, yet mine has a deeper groan to it. Did you use 3" pipes from cats to tips?:y

Akademiks 02-27-2009 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Thericker (Post 3379888)
Funny that sounds verrry similar to mine, yet mine has a deeper groan to it. Did you use 3" pipes from cats to tips?:y

Yeah, it's 3" all the way through. You don't have a video by any chance to compare the two do you? :zoom:

Thericker 02-27-2009 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3379885)
I wasn't so much asking how turbo's work, this I know, I've taken auto in high school and have read more then my fair share of books on turbo's and the way cars work.

What I was trying to asking was can it be over-ridden by the computer? So at idle, for example, the wastegates would open and the rpms would rise to the desired amount (this case, lets assume 1200rpms), and while I'm stopped (at a red light for example) it stays this way. Then when I take off the line, wastegate shuts off and the car continues normally, with the turbo's.

Hopefully this clears my question. I just want this at idle, then it shuts off when I take off.

Let me repeat myself so I don't get a lecture on Compression ratios of blowers, I just want to know if the computer in the car can engage the wastegate and raise the rpms while I'm at idle, then when I drive it drives normal.

We all on the same page? :)

Ever heard of "Turbo Lag"???? you'd be creating HUGE Turbo-Lag it takes a little time for the proper Boost gases to build up..:y

Akademiks 02-27-2009 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Thericker (Post 3379895)
Ever heard of "Turbo Lag"???? you'd be creating HUGE Turbo-Lag it takes a little time for the proper Boost gases to build up..:y

YESSSS! So it's possible, damn the turbo lag, how's it done :D

FFemt5287 02-27-2009 03:15 AM

id assume its doable judging by the amount of electronics involved with the engine. are you sure its the wastegate opening that causes the raise in rpms? could you just tell the computer to raise idle rpms at 0% throttle position instead and keep your turbos working normally?

Thericker 02-27-2009 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3379660)

Your into tuning vehicles so I got a quick question for you, is there anyway to ALWAYS have the wastegates open? That way the SL ALWAYS has that aggressive sound. Like could I go into the computer via STAR or some program and tell the car to keep the wastegates open?

xavier55: ALWAYS

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3379829)

Your 1st question was quite clear, then insisting on could it still be done? after "xavier55" posted made it look like you don't know how turbo wastegates work or their function:nix:

And further insisting you do actually know ALL about Wastegates so please don't bother w/basics, only to ask what would happen if you kept Wastegates open while @ idle only:nix: I'll say it again "Major Turbo-Lag":y

Thericker 02-27-2009 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3379897)
YESSSS! So it's possible, damn the turbo lag, how's it done :D

Simple answer for you to get the extra sound @ idle, put it in neutral & raise the rpm's to 1500+ by stepping on the gas lol...:D

Akademiks 02-27-2009 02:35 PM

Ricker, I'm so lost. :confused:

Why are you going back and repeating yourself with the turbo-lag problem. This I understand. I never asked what would happen if you kept the wastegates open at idle only :nix:

Mabe you had a late night :D but I never once brought up ramifications of any sort, I simply inquired how I can fool the computer to keep the wastegates open at idle. Why do you keep going back to turbo-lag when I keep saying I don't mind :nix:

storm 02-27-2009 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Akademiks (Post 3378287)

WOW,, sounds like a GERMAN PT BOAT,, not sure that is good though,,
why take off the cats, no performance gains and will sound even worse,,

just put racing cats on, like 200 cel,, high flow,, accomplishes same thing and will refine the sound at least slightly,

germans dont make nascars.. I dont think

Akademiks 02-27-2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by storm (Post 3381264)
WOW,, sounds like a GERMAN PT BOAT,, not sure that is good though,,
why take off the cats, no performance gains and will sound even worse,,

just put racing cats on, like 200 cel,, high flow,, accomplishes same thing and will refine the sound at least slightly,

germans dont make nascars.. I dont think

I happen to like it, and with the cats off it sound be just a tad louder and tad more aggressive! :v:

I can't freakkin' wait! And actually, I would get quite the hp boost without the cats. :y

JAYCL600 02-27-2009 04:49 PM

the tq curve will be moved up a bit after removing cats

sikhkd 02-27-2009 09:19 PM

Is your car really parked in your office

sounds mean

Akademiks 02-28-2009 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sikhkd (Post 3381986)
Is your car really parked in your office

sounds mean

Parked in my office? What the hell is that suppose to mean? It's in my garage. :confused:

See attachment. It's slightly different now from the picture but the general layout is the same. Since I have such a big garage and no longer have the SL55 to occupy the other side, I decided to make it like a kick back spot. Me and my friends would usually hang out in the garage anyways, so we just made it comfy. Added a little TV, a PS2, a Mac G4 and it's now my favorite spot in the house. :D