SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: e55 and s600 beat sl55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 55,S 55, M3,CL 55
e55 and s600 beat sl55

Just got back from S.Africa and the magazines there are claming the sl55 is slower in 0-100 (5.08) then the e55(4.93) and s600(4.96). Also slower in 1.4 mile (13.47,13.06,13.29), 1/4 mile speed (177.51 km, 190.67 km,182.29 km) and 80-120 kmh (3.98,3.31,3.72) .
Old 01-27-2003, 11:41 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
many things effect these tests, including altitude, tires, octane of gas, etc
Old 01-27-2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by mookie
many things effect these tests, including altitude, tires, octane of gas, etc
Shouldn't these factors affect all the cars?
Old 01-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 sl55 AMG
SL55 is plenty fast enough!

I just completed 1,000 miles over the weekend and can now begin to open it up (will still refrain from redline for another 50 miles or so).

This car gives as much kick as my M5 if not more. There's PLENTY of acceleration and speed in a smooth package that is every bit the equal of the M5, but much more comfortable.

You can easily lay rubber off the start if you want, but I haven't figured out how to do that in 2nd and 3rd which I could with the M5.

Those numbers in the magazines are kind of besides the point for a car like the SL55. It is not meant for 25 year old boy racers who worry about milliseconds in a car rag; it is meant for 45 year old boy racers who appreciate quality and beauty and see the power issue secondarily, as a bonus.

Many of us who are extremely satisfied with our SL's would have bought the SL500 and been happy; the power is so much more than anyone could rightly expect in a car of this nature.

My 2 centavos
Old 01-28-2003, 01:03 AM

2002 M5
ARCANE,
Can you please give us more info about how the sl55 compares to the M5. I am curious about how you feel it handles, accelerates, brakes,stereo quality....compared to the M5.
I too used to have an M5 and have an SL55 on order.
Thanks, Bill
Old 01-28-2003, 05:27 AM

An Australian car mag has tested the sl55 and recorded a 12.79, 1/4 mile time. It all depends on how they test, is it 2 people in the car, 1/4, 1/2 or full tank of fuel etc.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 sl55 AMG
SL55 and M5

I have had a lot of fun with both the M5 and the SL55, but overall, the SL55 is clearly superior in most ways...

The fit and finish on the M5 was perfect and the SL55 matches it; there is a slight annoying buzz in the roof behind my left ear but hopefully this will get resolved on the next service visit. The M5 had issues with the clutch and stick being balky on occasion so a tie there.

Power to me feels smoother and more controlled in the SL55, although I mostly drive it with the traction control on...I have tried it without the trax on, but a little scary how much torque there is, I haven't got the hang of the car enough to turn off trax routinely. The M5 I always drove with no trax and it felt less powerful in those situations (straightline start from a stand). Edge: SL55

Stereo: The Bose in the Merc is clearly superior to the upgraded BMW house stereo in the M5, although I would have preferred more settings in the SL55 a la the M5 (concert hall, cathedral, jazz club, etc.). In any event the sound overall is better in the Merc.

Roof: No question here, the retractable hardtop is completely awesome and draws attention from blocks away. And with the roll bar up, it looks fast. M5 can't compete. Also much more Alcantara on the Merc roof.

Interior: The Merc has a futuristic look that is just right, with an excellent combination of soft lighting and nice Art Deco fittings. The material selection is better and better done in the Merc.

Ride: The SL55 is firm or smooth depending on the setting, and the ability to raise the ride height is remarkable and necessary many times, for both look, performance, and parking in Houston, land of high parking lot bumper strips. You can't believe the lack of body roll in turns, there is almost none, you end up going much faster through turns than with the M5...this will take some getting used to.

Transmission: Both are excellent for what they do. The SL55 allows more flexibility and yet gives superior acceleration, especially at low revs.

Outer Finish: I like the look of the SL55 much better than the M5 although I still think the M5 is an all- time great looking vehicle. I'm sure the next generation will not be its equal. I wish the SL55 had a low- profile rear spoiler and I am going to try to get one from an aftermarket company if possible.

The Brilliant Silver finish is lighter and brighter than the M5 Silver I had, which to me is superior.

The radial AMG wheels do not compare well with the Shadow Chrome BMW M5 wheels, I liked those a lot better.

I hope this is useful to M5 owners who may be considering an SL55...again, just one man's opinion
Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 sl55 AMG
SL55 and M5

One more thing, Exhaust Note: The stock M5 muffler is OK but adding on the Dinan exhaust brought the tone to true muscle car status...it used to set off car alarms in the garage. However, the tone in the SL55 is much nicer to me, more refined but yet still brutal...best heard with the top down, not possible in the M5, so the SL wins here too...
Old 01-29-2003, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I think it's bizarre to compare a 4 seat warmed-over sedan with an up-to-date 2 seat convertible. A much better comparison with the M5 is the E55 AMG where it is comprehensively beaten, but so it should given the age of the M5 design, nearing the end of its life. The next generation M5 will level the playing field with its V10 engine, even if the styling, courtesy of American Chris Bangle, will likely be as controversial (for which read "ugly") as that of the 7 series.

A better comparison for the SL55 AMG is with Ferrari/Maserati, Porsche, Aston Martin (aka Ford) and Jaguar (aka Ford). In this company, the SL55 is clearly superior to the cheaper cars by whichever yard-stick you choose and compared to the more expensive cars, the only thing it seriously loses out on is exclusivity. There are likely to be too many SL55's around which perhaps is why so many people on this board get into a lather about after market add-ons like spoilers/body mods/wheels/carbon fiber inserts/sports exhausts/"chipping" and the rest.

DaimlerChrysler are the largest manufacturer of anything in Europe and can produce a car as good as the SL55 as cheaply as it does because it piggy-backs off large scale manufacturing of more mundane cars like the C and E class. It's made in the same plant as the CLK/SLK and painting an SL will cost very little more than the most humble CLK. Compare that with how much it must cost Ferrari to paint a 360 while achieving a much inferior paint finish at the same time. BMW have no rival to the SL55 and never have had; the Z8 was a limited production example of retro-tackiness and not in the same league.

As for these road tests which arrive at results which surprise, it's all to do with grabbing headlines and getting people to buy the publication involved. You should never over-rate these guys either. If they were any good, they wouldn't be working for some tired auto magazine eeking out a living regurgitating some marketing department's press releases to their naive and believing punters.

If you believe the E55 or S600 is the better car for you, great, go buy a bunch. My SL55 is not for sale.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
blueSL,

I thoroughly enjoyed your argument regarding the comparison of the current M5 with the SL55, however, I for one would like to see the discussion continue. The M5 has consistently been judged as one of the finest "driver" cars that has ever been built. As someone with an SL55 on order, I would like to to get the views of others who have driven both the M5 and the SL55 to see if they echo the sentiments of ARCANE. Yes, the E55 is a better comparator for the M5, but that was not the question. There will likely be dozens of comparisons of the M5 and the E55 conducted over the next year, but I suspect there will be none comparing the M5 with the SL55. This forum is the ideal place for this discussion.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
BlueSL:

The SL55 is a wonderful expression of design, technology and sheer power. This is an incontrovertible fact. However, a comparison to the BMW M5 is not so bizarre within the context provided and requested. The SL55 is a superior automobile to the BMW M5 (I will concede this without having even driven an SL55 while being an M5 owner). Arcane apparently had a preconceived idea of the SL55's overall power and performance. He used the BMW M5 as measuring tool to relate how the actual performance felt. The reason for the requested further comparison was to provide someone (BGomez) who had knowledge and experience with a known quantity (the M5) with an unknown quantity (the SL55). Arcane possessed knowledge of both quantities. As such he is an excellent resource to share with those of us (including myself) who want to understand this elevated level of technology and performance. I do agree with you that the new E55 would be a better overall comparison between cars that serve the same function (as the SL55 is a totally different focus). However, I don't believe anyone has taken delivery of the new E55. Although car magazines have done comparisons of the new E55 and "old" M5(many of which have crowned the M5 the winner), everyday drivers would have a better perspective for such a comparison. As you realize, the E55 and SL55 share essentially the same powertrain.

I don't mean to be the mouth-piece for the other posters. I am sure they will weigh in with their own opinions as to their intent. I sensed frustration on your part with regard to the comparison. I hope this better explains the reasoning behind such a comparison. I enjoyed it because it allowed someone like myself to understand a little better how the SL55 goes about its business.

Tom
Old 01-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 sl55 AMG
SL55/ M5

It is interesting to hear from M5 owners on this site. I think it is a natural comparison because no other vehicles have tergeted the particular combination of surpassing luxury and surpassing performance. The main reason I as an M5 owner would even be interested in the SL55 would be for these reasons; an SL500 holds minimal interest because of horsepower issues.

My SL55 was bought based on published horsepower data and the unquestioned luxury and technology of the car. The supermodel looks are important as well. So is the auto shift for someone who mostly is a city driver.

The unexpected added benefits such as the torque, low-rev pull, the wonderful exhaust burble and the droptop make this car substantially better than the M5 without question. At 2x the price it ought to be.

To me, there is no comparison other than SL55/M5. No Ferrari or Maserati has the luxotech intent of the Merc; the M5 does.

IMHO
Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
It is of course valid to compare any two cars even if bizarre. The SL55 has 100 more bhp, is heavier but still has a higher power to weight ratio, and achieves higher torque at lower rpm. It's faster, by a comfortable margin. You can therefore expect it to be faster through the gears and in gear. It's the better car, and so it should be because it's also 80% more expensive. In that context, the M5 represents good value.

The main problem I have with the M5 is the restless chassis, the unrelenting unpleasant noise and the fact that it's largely indistinguishable from a 520 which are sold by their tens of thousands. In the UK at least, there are just too many BMWs around, bought by middle achieving wannabees who think headlamp washers are where it's at.

Still, there is one auto commentator in the UK who prefers the M5 to the SL55, Tiff Needell, a former racing driver. He is welcome to his opinions.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by blueSL
In the UK at least, there are just too many BMWs around, bought by middle achieving wannabees who think headlamp washers are where it's at.
they swish and swash.. its mesmarizing!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55AMG,996 GT2, FERRARI 550M, BMW M5
errrr.....

Did the Gumball 3000 last year in the SL55 AMG, great long distance cruiser, but no M5 beater for all round excellance. Too boring.......
Old 01-29-2003, 06:54 PM

996 Turbo
Re: errrr.....

Originally posted by Lonman
Did the Gumball 3000 last year in the SL55 AMG, great long distance cruiser, but no M5 beater for all round excellance. Too boring.......
Coming from the man who likes to track his GT2.

You really should search harder for a Zonda
Old 01-29-2003, 08:50 PM

I've been driving an E39 M5 now for a couple of years. I just tell people it's the perfect car. It will always be the perfect car to many. The SL 55 is in another class of cars. Deliberately attractive where looks are secondary to the M5 although it is very good looking. The M5 doesn't draw a second glance from most folks but when it does you know they know cars.

In the history of performance cars the E39 M5 will go down as one of the very best, as a matter of fact the M5 ranked sixth overall in the greatest performace cars of all time, whilst its closest competitor, the previous E55 came in 92nd as I recall. Source Autocar, May 2, 2001.

The history of the SL55 is yet to be written, but it will be most certainly thought of as the most attractive car of 2003 along with the Infinity G35 coupe.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by M5 Joe
I've been driving an E39 M5 now for a couple of years. I just tell people it's the perfect car. It will always be the perfect car to many. The SL 55 is in another class of cars. Deliberately attractive where looks are secondary to the M5 although it is very good looking. The M5 doesn't draw a second glance from most folks but when it does you know they know cars.

In the history of performance cars the E39 M5 will go down as one of the very best, as a matter of fact the M5 ranked sixth overall in the greatest performace cars of all time, whilst its closest competitor, the previous E55 came in 92nd as I recall. Source Autocar, May 2, 2001.

The history of the SL55 is yet to be written, but it will be most certainly thought of as the most attractive car of 2003 along with the Infinity G35 coupe.
I seek informed opinions from those with experience, not the "regurgitation" of an opinion I could have read 2 years ago comparing the M5 to a car that is no longer produced.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:46 PM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
Re: errrr.....

Originally posted by Lonman
500HP and the top down, I can not understand how boring is in the same sentance with the SL55AMG! The M5 is a great car, but the SL55 can hold its own on every level with the M5. Come on lets face it, It is A Roadster with 500HP!, if you can not enjoy that, What can say!

Two different cars for two different people.

AMGBENZ
2003 SL55AMG (January 03 build Date)
2000 ML430
Old 01-29-2003, 11:21 PM

Oh, by the way M5 Joe, welcome to the boards. I think the current 3- and 5-series BMWs are fine-looking machines, I hate to see what becomes of them in the next iteration though.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally posted by JackStraw
Oh, by the way M5 Joe, welcome to the boards. I think the current 3- and 5-series BMWs are fine-looking machines, I hate to see what becomes of them in the next iteration though.
Hear, Hear...

Even though I saw some early pics of the new 5 series, which is btw better looking than the 7 series, I believe the current M5 will be remembered as THE BMW. A true drivers car and many will wish that BMW will return to its roots.

Driving the new 7 series, it's not only ugly, it doesn't even drive like a BMW. Very disconnected from the road, more like a mix between the Lexus and the old S class.

But maybe it's just me, when I look for a sports car I will not look for a 4 door sedan, no matter how fast they are.

I look for a coupe or a roadster and with the SL55, I got both

Wolfman