MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230-49/)
-   -   SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL 65-question (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/291445-sl-65-question.html)

m52e55 04-07-2009 07:36 PM

SL 65-question

e55/211 owner is there a best year and any major differences b/w the SL65 (2006-onward)? any driving impressions versus other similar class performance cars?
also, when coupling: performance/safety, pure beauty and l/t value any feedback on the 65 versus: AM Vanquish S and Ford-GT? posted on 211/amg forum, but thought would try to get some feedback here on the car's home board. thanks.

JonMBZ 04-07-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by m52e55 (Post 3454850)
e55/211 owner is there a best year and any major differences b/w the SL65 (2006-onward)? any driving impressions versus other similar class performance cars?
also, when coupling: performance/safety, pure beauty and l/t value any feedback on the 65 versus: AM Vanquish S and Ford-GT? posted on 211/amg forum, but thought would try to get some feedback here on the car's home board. thanks.

Well I usually try looking for a 2005+ vehicles since it has an updated command head unit and MHI phone system, but since the 65 made its debut in 2005 this doesn't really matter. Usually people try to stay away from the first year production, but for the most part it is a solid car. I can only think of minor cosmetics and the face lifted versions that are newer. Hopefully someone has more first hand experience to enlighten you with.

m52e55 04-08-2009 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JonMBZ (Post 3455018)
Well I usually try looking for a 2005+ vehicles since it has an updated command head unit and MHI phone system, but since the 65 made its debut in 2005 this doesn't really matter. Usually people try to stay away from the first year production, but for the most part it is a solid car. I can only think of minor cosmetics and the face lifted versions that are newer. Hopefully someone has more first hand experience to enlighten you with.

thanks anyone else here with an opinion-would appreciate

CA_E55 04-08-2009 11:28 PM

With the 2007 model came two changes that might or might not matter to you: Updated ABC and faster response steering. I think it was also the first year Bluetooth became standard.

I also evaluated a list of different cars before I settled for the SL65, for me the excellent performance, solid roof/convertible design with complete everyday usability made the grade by far. A Gallardo is way more sexy - but would it survive commuting 2.5 hours every day without killing me on maintenance expenses? I am sure the ZR1 is faster, but would I really enjoy that much sport every mile I drive, and could I forgive the build quality after the first luster wore off? Has the AM really become reasonably reliable, never mind the hassle not to have a dealer close by?
The SL is a sleeper in its own way - not a stunning beauty, rather a timeless design, and the AMG versions hide their potential and status with almost complete stealth - not a bad thing when others in your neighborhood struggle or get foreclosed, either. Dam, have I ever mellowed in the last few years... :rolleyes:

TMC M5 04-08-2009 11:41 PM

The cars you are comparing the SL65 to are vastly different.

A Vanquish S will still cost you well over $100K. I think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. It has a comfortable interior and can be had in 2 seater or 2+2 configuration. It has more than adequate power (520hp), but it still doesn't compare to the SL65's torque. The great thing about the Vanquish S is that it will only be mistaken for other Aston Martins...not exactly a common car...the SL65 looks like any other SL. I don't buy cars to impress other people...so that wouldn't be a concern for myself...but others may disagree. A friend of mine had some quality issues with his Vanquish S that drove him crazy enough to sell it after a short tenure. He owns a # of other Aston Martins so it wasn't like he wasn't used to the "hand-crafted experience".

Ford GT's are pretty rare and I wouldn't call them a daily driver. The car isn't very easy to get in and out of (wow I feel old saying that). You can find ones with practically no mileage....and the owners expect you to pay a huge premium for that. You would be hard pressed to find a higher mileage one below $130K. The car has great performance. A little faster than a stock SL65. There are some nice bolt-on mods (pulley and throttle body) that can pump out significantly more HP (easily 100rwhp more) ontop of the 500+rwhp it has stock(Ford underrated it at 550 hp SAE). A modified SL65 would be hard pressed to match its performance. If that isn't enough....talk to Heffner about their twin turbo kits with over 1,000rwhp. The stock engines are pretty bullet proof but they have been known to have problems with the suspension and half-shafts. I personally love the GT but it would have to be a strictly weekend car.

The SL65 is kind of the best of both worlds...the near elegance of the Vanquish S...the brutish power of the Ford GT...but it can be had for a fraction of the cost...and let's not forget that the SL65 has a retractable hardtop. It is a heavy car...which does take away some handling prowess...but it can be a daily driver and all that weight is there for a reason... safety....luxury...performance...and amenities. The SL65 scores high marks in all categories...whereas the Vanquish S and Ford GT score high in most but also low in others.

Tom

AMGfan 04-08-2009 11:58 PM

Bro...listen to Tom...he is the Consigliere of TTV12 Famiglia.

The thing with the SL65 is that it can be many things at once.

The transition is seamless from:

1. stealthy disposition to the flash of the origami convertible for the world
to see

2. a comfortable DD to a fire breathing torque monster in an Armani suit

3. tanning booth to a very useful hardtop coccoon against mother nature

The other automotive options mentioned as alternatives aren't as versatile.

Marcus Frost 04-09-2009 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by CA_E55 (Post 3457247)
With the 2007 model came two changes that might or might not matter to you: Updated ABC and faster response steering. I think it was also the first year Bluetooth became standard.

I also evaluated a list of different cars before I settled for the SL65, for me the excellent performance, solid roof/convertible design with complete everyday usability made the grade by far. A Gallardo is way more sexy - but would it survive commuting 2.5 hours every day without killing me on maintenance expenses? I am sure the ZR1 is faster, but would I really enjoy that much sport every mile I drive, and could I forgive the build quality after the first luster wore off? Has the AM really become reasonably reliable, never mind the hassle not to have a dealer close by?
The SL is a sleeper in its own way - not a stunning beauty, rather a timeless design, and the AMG versions hide their potential and status with almost complete stealth - not a bad thing when others in your neighborhood struggle or get foreclosed, either. Dam, have I ever mellowed in the last few years... :rolleyes:

This man speaks the truth... I crossed the 65 against the 997TT and Gallardo... all of them are fantastic cars, it just depends what you are looking for. In my line of business the Gallardo would be a bit too austentacious to be driving to work/conducting business in, and the 997 just doesn't have the same retractable hardtop majesty of the R230 nor does the boxer-6 have the wonderfully brute yet sophisticated character of the V12...

I could write a book on all the comparisons I drew, but in the end the winner is what I wound up with.

Now I just hope this doesn't turn into another E55 vs SL65 thread... they seem to come up every week and they are just pointless...

-m

m52e55 04-10-2009 10:41 PM

thank you. the input from all of you is very insightful and appreciated. side note-anyone read about the SLS AMG forthcoming? seems a bit SLR-esque, but at a considerbaly lower price point. good weekend everyone.