SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: WHY!?!//!!!ONE!?!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
WHY!?!//!!!ONE!?!!

You ever park far away so no one parks next to you only to come out of your location minutes later to see some idiot right next to you?

Well... allow me to share my story...

My SL600 is shiny new, courtesy of my very own detail. No dings, no dents, no scratches, no blemishes, not even a speck of dust. Crystal. Clear. Some would say, the pinnacle of cleanliness. Perfection perfected. God himself could not duplicate my work.

It's one of those details I treat my car to, say once a month. It involves a full days work, and items such as: Menzerna, Wolfgang, Rotary-Flex, etc. all used with painstaking precision and dare I say, mastery.

You ever experienced something like it? It is very special. It brings back the same feelings you had when you first purchased the car; a nostalgic feeling, if you will-- the leather's so soft, the black has an angelic glow to it, and you're just grinning ear to ear-- eager as all hell to take your car out and enjoy it.

So I did.

So why is it, on these days of all DAYS I have an idiot like this park next to me!? I stop by Bally's first and foremost for a quick errand, taking me no more then a total of 5 minutes and in that time some airhead decided to squeeze their rust bucket of a Jeep right next to my SL. And when I say squeeze, I mean SQUEEZE!

I had to resist the sudden urge to drop kick his car to hell upon my return. Frankly, sadly, this is something that happens all the time to me, wether or not my car is clean-- but today was the last straw. As you can see in the pictures below, this MORON had the ENTIRE parking lot to choose from and he felt right parking RIGHT next to me.

I even parked a little to the right to deter such an event from happening-- usually, the common smart person wouldn't park to my right because of obvious reasons and should they park to the left it would give them ample room to open and close doors without jeopardizing my car. A precaution I take after having my first car dinged.

So in any event, I waited. Anxious to ask the owner of the Jeep why there. For the love of God, why next to me? Why!!!!!! But after 10 minutes my patience was up and I left... I resent that now, because I really want an answer. It's been happening to me since my Audi, and I really need to know. I really need an answer. To this day, their carelessness consumes me.

/Vent-Rant

Ever happen to anyone else or is it just me?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 PM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
I am laughing because I ran into the same thing a few times and on the last occasion I waited about 15 min to speak to the idiot who parked next to me. I would love a response from the kind of perosn that does this. I doubt anyone on this board is that type and so for now we can only keep guessing.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 PM

SL55
unfortunately it happens to all of us. lol Its like they go out their way to be a d--K
Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
I am laughing because I ran into the same thing a few times and on the last occasion I waited about 15 min to speak to the idiot who parked next to me. I would love a response from the kind of perosn that does this. I doubt anyone on this board is that type and so for now we can only keep guessing.
Crazy isn't it?

Last edited by charles pearson; 06-29-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Akademiks
You ever park far away so no one parks next to you only to come out of your location minutes later to see some idiot right next to you?

Well... allow me to share my story...

My SL600 is shiny new, courtesy of my very own detail. No dings, no dents, no scratches, no blemishes, not even a speck of dust. Crystal. Clear. Some would say, the pinnacle of cleanliness. Perfection perfected. God himself could not duplicate my work.

It's one of those details I treat my car to, say once a month. It involves a full days work, and items such as: Menzerna, Wolfgang, Rotary-Flex, etc. all used with painstaking precision and dare I say, mastery.

You ever experienced something like it? It is very special. It brings back the same feelings you had when you first purchased the car; a nostalgic feeling, if you will-- the leather's so soft, the black has an angelic glow to it, and you're just grinning ear to ear-- eager as all hell to take your car out and enjoy it.

So I did.

So why is it, on these days of all DAYS I have an idiot like this park next to me!? I stop by Bally's first and foremost for a quick errand, taking me no more then a total of 5 minutes and in that time some airhead decided to squeeze their rust bucket of a Jeep right next to my SL. And when I say squeeze, I mean SQUEEZE!

I had to resist the sudden urge to drop kick his car to hell upon my return. Frankly, sadly, this is something that happens all the time to me, wether or not my car is clean-- but today was the last straw. As you can see in the pictures below, this MORON had the ENTIRE parking lot to choose from and he felt right parking RIGHT next to me.

I even parked a little to the right to deter such an event from happening-- usually, the common smart person wouldn't park to my right because of obvious reasons and should they park to the left it would give them ample room to open and close doors without jeopardizing my car. A precaution I take after having my first car dinged.

So in any event, I waited. Anxious to ask the owner of the Jeep why there. For the love of God, why next to me? Why!!!!!! But after 10 minutes my patience was up and I left... I resent that now, because I really want an answer. It's been happening to me since my Audi, and I really need to know. I really need an answer. To this day, their carelessness consumes me.

/Vent-Rant

Ever happen to anyone else or is it just me?
He or she probably did this on purpose just to **** you off. This happens to me as well Brother and I can not explain the thought process. However you should be careful who you confront and who you offend when confronting them. You never know what is on someone else's mind. I like to tell these young punks every now and then, that you should be very careful how and who you offend as you walk your lanes on this earth. About a month ago, some young punk got upset with me just because I sped past him at a stop light in my SL and apparently it insulted him in front of his girlfriend along with his cheaply made Chevy Tahoe, well I should not say that, but a Tahoe is not an SL, get my drift? Anyway, he caught up to me to call me a B_ _ ch and told me he would kick my a_ _, lol. OK well I obliged him by pulling over into a parking lot, knowing that I would steal this punks heart. You see he didn't know if I was crazy or just plain old homicidal, all he was thinking was how he was going to kick my butt. The moral of the story is, be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. I have spilled plenty of blood and lost some of my own in Iraq and Afghanistan, Hell I have to see a shrink once a month to help me out with my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). So who is to say that I would not loose it on this guy and take him out? I would not do something like that to a fellow American, but he had no clue what was going on in my head, I have taken something precious from people across the pond for much less, he would of been too easy for me. I try to be very careful how I treat people and how I approach them, size means nothing. In the end you have to ask yourself, was it worth it? Bro, a car is a car, but let it go. I love your SL, let's keep it that way you have nothing to prove.

Last edited by charles pearson; 06-29-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Antisocial Personality Disorder, or what used to be called a Sociopath. See for example: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ant...CTION=symptoms

No point in confronting such a person; he's not playing by the normal rules of society.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
LOL, what a trip huh!

Originally Posted by damian155
unfortunately it happens to all of us. lol Its like they go out their way to be a d--K
But WHY? Jealousy? Envy? Bad day? Don't like my car? It's not "Green"? Or adorned with a "hybrid" badge?

Originally Posted by charles pearson
He or she probably did this on purpose just to **** you off. This happens to me as well Brother and I can not explain the thought process. However you should be careful who you confront and who you offend when confronting them. You never know what is on someone else's mind. I like to tell these young punks every now and then, that you should be very careful how and who you offend as you walk your lanes on this earth. About a month ago, some young punk got upset with me just because I sped past him at a stop light in my SL and apparently it insulted him in front of his girlfriend along with his cheaply made Chevy Tahoe, well I should not say that, but a Tahoe is not an SL, get my drift? Anyway, he caught up to me to call me a B_ _ ch and told me he would kick my a_ _, lol. OK well I obliged him by pulling over into a parking lot, knowing that I would steal this punks heart. You see he didn't know if I was crazy or just plain old homicidal, all he was thinking was how he was going to kick my butt. The moral of the story is, be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. I have spilled plenty of blood and lost some of my own in Iraq and Afghanistan, Hell I have to see a shrink once a month to help me out with my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). So who is to say that I would not loose it on this guy and take him out? I would not do something like that to a fellow American, but he had no clue what was going on in my head, I have taken something precious from people across the pond for much less, he would of been too easy for me. I try to be very careful how I treat people and how I approach them, size means nothing. In the end you have to ask yourself, was it worth it? Bro, a car is a car, but let it go. I love your SL, let's keep it that way you have nothing to prove.
You're right, I got nothing to prove but... I didn't mean kill him. I may not be an imposing figure at 21, but that wouldn't mean I wouldn't give him a piece of my mind damn what's going on through his! And if it came to exchanging blows, then so be it, even if I get my *** kicked at least I get to vent, sometimes you just need a punch to feel better. I'm sure EVERYONE at one point or another can relate.

Yeah, I realize "what ifs", I was just mad and wanted to vent...
Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
LOL, made my night. Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 AM

MB
Why not just take the end spot? Then nobody can park to your right?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by Karl G
Why not just take the end spot? Then nobody can park to your right?
I usually do, but there's a little walkway to the front-right of the jeep that is not visible in the pics which pedestrians use; I don't want to be parked there and have some careless bimbo running to catch the bus scratch my car with her knock off Louis Vuitton purse, or something of the like.

So if there is no such walkway and the spot is available, I take it. This just wasn't the case.

EDIT: And in any event, wtf I had the whole parking lot to choose from, why do I have to justify my spot-- he's the idiot who came second and decided to squeeze his Jurassic Park creation next to my car when he could've parked in any of the other 100 spots available.

Last edited by Akademiks; 06-30-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 AM
mf1

2003 sl 55 amg, 2010 RRS TDV8
I can feel you, and hey your right, but the others don't know or don't pay attention to it. Unless one day they will have a car like that of their own. The car attracts, its like a beautyful woman.. you want to get very close..
This is a thing that only purists or perfectionists understand, never feel bad about it..you have the right to be proud !
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 AM

SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
My SL55 got smashed/wrecked in a parking lot! Now ***** everyone I take 2 spaces..

My perfect SL55 had the left rear fender smashed in at my bank parking lot.. Not a door ding, not a dent but the whole fender and inner structure was caved in over the wheel. It had to make a huge crashing sound! And as expected the spineless basterd took off.

I did not want to file a claim so it cost me $2,279 out of pocket and a week in the shop. Plus damaged and repaired/painted is not the same as never been damaged.

I played by the rules and got screwed! Now with my perfect SL65 I say ***** em! I park at an angle using 2 spaces (| // |).

I even got a ticket for using 2 spaces on private property for "not obeying the signs". What signs? Has anyone ever seen a sign the says NO PARKING in 2 spaces! The COP was a moron. I called the Sheriffs dept (where I volunteer) asking how it was possible to get a parking ticket on private property and requested the code section for violating a 2 space parking ordinance.

Obviously there was no such law and the Sergeant asked the deputy why he was writing tickets on private property and ordered him to stop.
They dismissed my ticket...

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 06-30-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Damn Harry same crap happened to me and Shamu a few weeks back...

As mentioned the end spot is the best but you didnt like the walkway so why not the end spot on to the right below?:

Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
That is so not cool, I would have waited, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That is one funny story

Never happened to me yet.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM

2009 GL550
Same happened to me - took my mom out for Mothers day dinner at a big shopping center last month. I parked *behind* the shopping center where I was the only car in one of out 500 available spaces. Sure enough, I come back from dinner and the only other car in the back parking lot parks RIGHT next to me. WTF - at least he left some distance between his POS and my GL, but come on - the spot right next to mine? I obviously didnt park there for the convenience factor. Some people are just freaking idiots who derive joy in pi$$ing others off.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 PM

2006 E55 AMG
People do it because they're just c*cksuckers, in general. It happens to me all the time, also. I am used to it. If there is a ding or scratch in my car from the beater next to me I assure you they will be towing it from that spot after I am done with it.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SL55
I feel your pain. I consider parking these cars an art form dedicated to the prevention of door dings.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Did you guys get down or what??? This would probably **** me off as well, but I don't care about my car that much to worry about door dings. I am sure glad I don't though I park as close as possible.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM

LOL, what a trip huh!

But WHY? Jealousy? Envy? Bad day? Don't like my car? It's not "Green"? Or adorned with a "hybrid" badge?

You're right, I got nothing to prove but... I didn't mean kill him. I may not be an imposing figure at 21, but that wouldn't mean I wouldn't give him a piece of my mind damn what's going on through his! And if it came to exchanging blows, then so be it, even if I get my *** kicked at least I get to vent, sometimes you just need a punch to feel better. I'm sure EVERYONE at one point or another can relate.

Yeah, I realize "what ifs", I was just mad and wanted to vent...

I understand Brother, I used to be the same way when I was young. Well try this, get a stack of business cards made that say, "A_ _ Holes Like You Should Ride The Bus!" and place it on their windshield, when you leave of course. The fifth principle of patrolling is common sense, and that person decided to squeeze their butt directly next to you, lol man that sucks big time.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by Vic55
Damn Harry same crap happened to me and Shamu a few weeks back...

As mentioned the end spot is the best but you didnt like the walkway so why not the end spot on to the right below?:

At least I'm not alone. And what fine automobile decided to grace Shamu with it's presence?

And as for the end spot to the right, there was some molester van parked next to it when I first arrived. Kinda reminded me of the ones we had rollin' around Slauson and Vermont selling "fresh produce" out the rear, which includes but is not limited to corn, celery and lucas. So naturally, I avoided parking next to the it.

Next time this happens to any of you, take a picture so it can ease my mind knowing I'm not alone.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by mf1
I can feel you, and hey your right, but the others don't know or don't pay attention to it. Unless one day they will have a car like that of their own. The car attracts, its like a beautyful woman.. you want to get very close..
This is a thing that only purists or perfectionists understand, never feel bad about it..you have the right to be proud !
Thanks!

Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
My perfect SL55 had the left rear fender smashed in at my bank parking lot.. Not a door ding, not a dent but the whole fender and inner structure was caved in over the wheel. It had to make a huge crashing sound! And as expected the spineless basterd took off.

I did not want to file a claim so it cost me $2,279 out of pocket and a week in the shop. Plus damaged and repaired/painted is not the same as never been damaged.

I played by the rules and got screwed! Now with my perfect SL65 I say ***** em! I park at an angle using 2 spaces (| // |).

I even got a ticket for using 2 spaces on private property for "not obeying the signs". What signs? Has anyone ever seen a sign the says NO PARKING in 2 spaces! The COP was a moron. I called the Sheriffs dept (where I volunteer) asking how it was possible to get a parking ticket on private property and requested the code section for violating a 2 space parking ordinance.

Obviously there was no such law and the Sergeant asked the deputy why he was writing tickets on private property and ordered him to stop.
They dismissed my ticket...

Wow, what a story-- thanks for sharing!

I had similar predicament only I wasn't involved per se... I was actually going through a drive-thru at a Taco Bell and I saw a minivan clip an RX-8 as it was leaving the Taco Bell, the airhead looked around thought no one was looking and decided to Tribe Called Quest his *** and keep it moving; luckily I caught his plates and while I was waiting for my food contacted the police who promptly sent a unit over. I explained the situation and naturally, the owner of the RX-8 was grateful someone had seen what happened.

Unfortunately, we live among some really irresponsible people. Sorry to hear it cost you money and time but in the end, what goes around comes around.

Originally Posted by kamilclk430
That is so not cool, I would have waited, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That is one funny story

Never happened to me yet.
Wish I had your luck.

Originally Posted by Franman
Same happened to me - took my mom out for Mothers day dinner at a big shopping center last month. I parked *behind* the shopping center where I was the only car in one of out 500 available spaces. Sure enough, I come back from dinner and the only other car in the back parking lot parks RIGHT next to me. WTF - at least he left some distance between his POS and my GL, but come on - the spot right next to mine? I obviously didnt park there for the convenience factor. Some people are just freaking idiots who derive joy in pi$$ing others off.
It really does get you wondering what you did wrong. Sometimes I carefully examine the remaining 448 parking spots for discrepancies, maybe the other 448 had something wrong I hadn't first noticed-- shards of glass, nails, lava, craters, were just paved or maybe cursed... I always come up with more questions then answers.

Originally Posted by AreL11
People do it because they're just c*cksuckers, in general. It happens to me all the time, also. I am used to it. If there is a ding or scratch in my car from the beater next to me I assure you they will be towing it from that spot after I am done with it.
LOL!!!!

In the end though, he ruined your beauty and you... further beat his beater.

Originally Posted by speed doc
I feel your pain. I consider parking these cars an art form dedicated to the prevention of door dings.
It really makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one scouting the parking lots like it's a minefield looking for the best spot and then walking for a half mile just to have peace of mind.

I understand Brother, I used to be the same way when I was young. Well try this, get a stack of business cards made that say, "A_ _ Holes Like You Should Ride The Bus!" and place it on their windshield, when you leave of course. The fifth principle of patrolling is common sense, and that person decided to squeeze their butt directly next to you, lol man that sucks big time.
LOL, hilarious! I gotta get me some cards.

Last edited by Akademiks; 06-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
As much as I enjoy driving the SL to run errands or just anywhere I dont for this reason. If I HAVE to I will park in the end spots. I havent parked my NSX in a lot in at least 3 years for the same reason ( it has the engine showing) and I can just people peeping and leaning over to look inside. An SL lowered with rims creates just too much attention for me to leave in a lot.

I guess my easy fix to your problem is buy a beater or something that your not always on pins and needles when you have to do chores, daily driving and so on...I love my accord- dings, scratches, oxidizing paint and all!!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by 150shot
As much as I enjoy driving the SL to run errands or just anywhere I dont for this reason. If I HAVE to I will park in the end spots. I havent parked my NSX in a lot in at least 3 years for the same reason ( it has the engine showing) and I can just people peeping and leaning over to look inside. An SL lowered with rims creates just too much attention for me to leave in a lot.

I guess my easy fix to your problem is buy a beater or something that your not always on pins and needles when you have to do chores, daily driving and so on...I love my accord- dings, scratches, oxidizing paint and all!!
Yeah, I use a Ford Explorer for my bs runs. But even the few times I take the slow star gazer out, this happens.

Got any pics of your SL?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55 AMG, Range Rover Evoque
Yes, happens to me frequently (just like the advert on TV - empty car park, car parks in middle, and old junker has to squeeze in as close as possible).

I believe it is usually someone who cares little for their own vehicle, has a vehicle only because they need A to B transport, don't like driving, and really don't like the fact that someone else has a "perceived to be expensive", well-cared-for car. They just want to be difficult.

Human nature is a strange animal, and you will never change those people.

Unfortunately, due to this, I have started to selfishly park at an angle in the parking spot, but at the furthest away spot in the lot. Sometimes, it still makes no difference. That's life, I guess.....Geo.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I usually do, but there's a little walkway to the front-right of the jeep that is not visible in the pics which pedestrians use; I don't want to be parked there and have some careless bimbo running to catch the bus scratch my car with her knock off Louis Vuitton purse, or something of the like.

So if there is no such walkway and the spot is available, I take it. This just wasn't the case.

EDIT: And in any event, wtf I had the whole parking lot to choose from, why do I have to justify my spot-- he's the idiot who came second and decided to squeeze his Jurassic Park creation next to my car when he could've parked in any of the other 100 spots available.
My thoughts were why you didn't take the end spot, but I understand now.

My secret has always been to park far away and throw the car cover on. Before I started covering the cars, I would get the idiot brigade parking next to me. After I started covering, nothing. They probably figure that I am crazier than they are! And they just stay away!

Take it easy and don't have a stroke! Its just not worth it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.