MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230-49/)
-   -   SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Resonator/2ndy Delete Q's for SL55 AMG owners (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/359929-resonator-2ndy-delete-qs-sl55-amg-owners.html)

SGTzAMG 07-21-2010 09:18 AM

Resonator/2ndy Delete Q's for SL55 AMG owners

ive been searching youtube and on here, and it seems like MANY are just doing resonator delete. if anything other people just go to a complete aftermarket exhaust system.

what i want to know is, for you SL55 AMG owners, is it just as popular to delete resonator and secondary kitties just like all the other AMGs owners do?

i have not yet i guess came across an SL55 withe both resonator/2ndry cats deleted.

im been searching and searching and searching and ive finally came to the conclusion that i really want to pick up an SL55 over a 996 turbo now, but i want my SL55 to sound MEAN so inputs my R230 55 AMG owners!

and if u guys have any vids of resonator/2ndry deletes, post em up!

THANKS in advance!

SGTzAMG 07-21-2010 08:59 PM

..DMAn any one!??

NikleinR6 07-22-2010 06:47 AM

I have both of mine removed and straight piping in their place. I LOVE the sound. It is very deep yet refined while driving around town. Not too loud while driving on the interestate and absolutely no drone.
When you go WOT, it sounds like a freakin pissed off raging bear. LOL...
There are plenty of sound clips on youtube...
Check them out.
Nick

luvasl55 07-22-2010 11:54 AM

I was tempted for both resonator and secondary cats removal but opted with just the resonator. In my opinion it was sufficent, the sound is fantastic but not overbearing. I was also reading in the fourm that with the cats removed you'll be losing out on tourqe, im not willing to lose some for more noise

SGTzAMG 07-24-2010 12:54 AM

THANKS for the response guys!!!
and yes! thats another thing. is it trully legit that you will lose some torque without secondary kitties??

i drove my friends SL today, and i AM in love! i really REALLY want an SL55 AMG now!! BAD!

THE only thing that made me kinda sad is when my homie told me that i dont look good or suit the car well?! lol

GroovyMambo 07-24-2010 04:28 AM

had my resonators removed and yes it sounds a little better. The most noticeable difference is the sound when you release the gas pedal while moving, the sound it makes is really nice - wish it would sound like that at a stopped idle. At high speeds I don't detect any difference. Its hard to record the sound cause it sounds best when the car is rolling. Regarding removing the secondary cats, I would remove them if I had more data regarding if the car will pass emmisions inspection and if there is any decrease in power. Bottom line - this is one of the first things to get done when you get the car and is cheap.

SGTzAMG 08-01-2010 12:29 AM

thanks guys! havent checked up on this thread been super busy, but YES i have been on the look out for an SL55 specifically 197 (obsidian black) with the berry red interior =] ive seen a couple and i would consider out of state purchase as well.

anywho, i am SUPER excited! it was wither a 996 turbo or SL55, and i feel like i made a right choice.

ANYBODY on here have an exhaust vid of their SL55?? thanks in advance!

150shot 08-02-2010 12:32 PM

Most all of us are happy with the resonator delete, once you floor it opens up way loud. I had a friend floor my car from 1st gear while I stood and watched, and I couldnt believe how loud it got. I've had an exhaust but didnt make as much as difference.

There is a vid out with one that has headers and a I think the cats and res. out and probably the best sounding I've heard, but I'm totally happy with the resonators for now.

CLK43kaz 08-04-2010 10:41 AM

random post but directed at "150shot"
we seem to have similar car lineups lol
just got rid of an 02 CLK430 coupe
have an 03 SL55
and a 1994 Acura NSX! lol

v10boost 08-12-2010 11:32 PM

I have dual 3" in exhaust system for sl55 and it is for sale. it is used with long tube headers. it has dual 3in cats, resonators. it is complete system except for rear mufflers and exhaust tips. I am asking 1000 for full header back system.

cal1 08-13-2010 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by SGTzAMG (Post 4185029)
thanks guys! havent checked up on this thread been super busy, but YES i have been on the look out for an SL55 specifically 197 (obsidian black) with the berry red interior =] ive seen a couple and i would consider out of state purchase as well.

anywho, i am SUPER excited! it was wither a 996 turbo or SL55, and i feel like i made a right choice.

ANYBODY on here have an exhaust vid of their SL55?? thanks in advance!

Here are a couple of exhaust vids of my SL sans secondary kitties. I'm running shorty headers as well. I don't think the vids represent the true volume of sound at WOT. Friends and kills that have had to listen to my exhaust have said "its F-ing loud." The SC screams a bit in the second vid.

As far as power loss. As I understand it, blown engines don't like lots of restriction. Removing restriction adds power if anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5oI...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3Tfq2JlG0&NR=1

mf1 08-13-2010 04:19 PM

Eisenmann resonators en rear mufflers, no 2cats deleted, stock headers. Maybe I'll add X or H pipe for more balanced sound at WOT. Dunno yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoTune.../5/lD-H_NYVfR0

ToughSuccess 10-08-2010 02:38 AM

Very well put - I just got mine done today and WOWWWWW - I don't even listen to music anymore haha - just keep the top down and listen to the exhaust :)

Originally Posted by NikleinR6 (Post 4169831)
I have both of mine removed and straight piping in their place. I LOVE the sound. It is very deep yet refined while driving around town. Not too loud while driving on the interestate and absolutely no drone.
When you go WOT, it sounds like a freakin pissed off raging bear. LOL...
There are plenty of sound clips on youtube...
Check them out.
Nick

Yepster 06-05-2011 03:49 AM

Disappointed

After reading unanimously positive comments on removing the secondary resonators I decided to visit the local muffler shop today to have the mufflers on my SL55 (2003) replaced by a straight pipe. Cost was $130 and it took about an hour. Directly after, I indeed noticed a deeper sound (more bass) especially at lower speeds. I liked it at first but after a few minutes it became a bit annoying. In the original setup, the deep hum can only be heard at certain speeds and certain RPMs. It is very nicely balanced, almost architected to perfection. With the straight pipe however, the hum is heard all the time when driving at slow speeds. Like a constant reminder that you are in a 500BHP car. I found that annoying and suddenly started to appreciate the delicate balanced sound of the original factory exhaust setup.

But OK. I think I eventually get used to it and can live with it. What I truly HATE though (and there is no other word for it) it the new sound at WOT. Gone is the beautifull deep rasp/rattle that sounds like a WW2 warplane. With the straight pipe it is replaced by a (too) loud and harsh sounding rattle. It just doesn't sound good. It is unrefined, loud (in a bad way) and to me it sounds more like a leak in the exhaust pipe (which was tested and had no leaks).

I used to be truly addicted to the sound and would drive my SL55 to work while continuously playing with the gas pedal to enjoy it. Mercedes and AMG must have spent weeks (if not months) fine tuning the SL55 AMG sound to perfection. I feel that removing the secondary resonators totally killed their work. Like adding ice cubes to a perfect wine... Gone is the balance, gone is the refinement, gone is the beauty.

So tomorrow (two days later) I will visit the muffler shop again, this time with the request to add back the resonators that THANK GOD I kept. Hopefully this will bring the original sound back. Just wanted to post this because there are maybe more SL55 owners like me out there...

Hairicon 06-05-2011 12:11 PM

I feel exactly the same way and you expressed your observations eloquently. I had mine removed a few weeks ago and I am planning on having them re-installed as soon as possible.

I can certainly see and hear the appeal to a certain segment of owners, but for me, why tamper with perfection?

Please post how the re-install goes and your thoughts on going back to stock.

iAMGod 06-05-2011 05:12 PM

I personally love the sound with res and 2ndary delete....would never go back.

GroovyMambo 06-05-2011 10:35 PM

Sounds like some of you guys removed both sets of mufflers from each side which would probably make it too loud, as I posted earlier I had 1 muffler removed from each side and I would never go back, The car sounds great at WOT and on the road, and very soft at idle, not very different than stock, I guess perfection is at the "ears" of the beholder and opinions are like *******s, everybody has one :)