MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230-49/)
-   -   SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: How to bleed SL55 coolant? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/371343-how-bleed-sl55-coolant.html)

JBFMCAR 10-15-2010 02:26 AM

How to bleed SL55 coolant?

I have bled many CLS55 and E55s after a Johnson pump or a HE install but just noticed its not the same on the SL55 the place where the nipple is usually is already a recirculating system by the looks of it so how do i bleed this system properly? I just pulled the cap off added fluid and started the car 4 times 1 minute each to run the airpump and got a few air bubbles. Any input would be appreciated.
Justin

j21importer 10-15-2010 08:40 AM

put max heat on and road test. once you get the heat constantly it will be fully bleed out.

NEMES1S 10-15-2010 10:49 AM

heater has nothing to do with an intercooler pump, that is to bleed the engine coolant system

aluthman 10-16-2010 12:47 AM

From the factory the two systems are connected and share the same coolant, so that would work. Some people separate the two systems to help with heat soak though.

NEMES1S 10-16-2010 02:33 AM

why would you design a coolant system to be shared with the 180 or higher temps running through the engine? the idea of an intercooler is not to take your intake charge to 180 as the efficieny combustion would be with cooler denser air

aluthman 10-17-2010 02:10 PM

I didn't say it was a good idea, just that it was built that way.

NEMES1S 10-17-2010 04:20 PM

If that kis true then how do people add the trunk reservoirs? I can't imagine having ivey cold fluids mix with engine coolant would be a good idea. I haven't dug into my car yet to verfiy they are seperated but I still don't think germans would engineer the intercooler to run off the engines 180 degree engine coolant

saer1one 10-17-2010 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by NEMES1S (Post 4304422)
If that kis true then how do people add the trunk reservoirs? I can't imagine having ivey cold fluids mix with engine coolant would be a good idea. I haven't dug into my car yet to verfiy they are seperated but I still don't think germans would engineer the intercooler to run off the engines 180 degree engine coolant

Thats why he said some people seperate the engine glycol and the heat exchanger glycol.. The trunk reservoirs only work when systems are seperated..

CA_E55 10-17-2010 11:28 PM

This discussion is as old the the AMG kompressor engine, and totally misunderstood by the mostly non-engineers that try to use their limited knowledge to improve performance on these engines - while it is true that the low and high temperature circuits are connected, they are not 'mixing' the temperatures between them. If any of these shade tree tuners had ever made some measurements, they would immediately realize that there is - as the factory diagrams refer to them - a low and a high temperature circuit with completely different temperature levels. It beats me that after all these years these engines have been in customer hands these myth are still perpetrated...

As for the question of the OP - search the W211 AMG forum, there is an excellent write up on how to run the circulation pump manually to bleed the low temperature circuit.

Originally Posted by NEMES1S (Post 4304422)

NEMES1S 10-18-2010 09:57 AM

Thank you for clearing up that they are connected, but is there a good reason to have them connected? Does it help the system keep one of the circuits more air free?

bayhas 08-10-2017 02:39 PM

I know the post in ancient, but for sake of completeness, the proper process of bleeding SL55 is as follows:

1- Pinch off the return line of low temp circuit, with coolant hose pincher
2- Detach the small return line up top (self venting hose) and attache a see through hose instead.
3- Run the M44 pump with 12V or via SDS, until bubbles are no longer visible in the venting hose.
4- return everything back to normal, and enjoy