MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230-49/)
-   -   SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Anybody experience any resentment or jealouse with their SL? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/400778-anybody-experience-any-resentment-jealouse-their-sl.html)

Quaker13 05-18-2011 03:51 PM

Anybody experience any resentment or jealouse with their SL?

I am wondering what kind of negative attention I would get if any, be it from cops, women, men and adolescents.

Anyways, I would love to hear your stories.

Maverick1975 05-18-2011 05:54 PM

I get quite the opposite, I am surprised by the number of people who actually bother to complimetn the car in traffic. And it comes people of all different 'types'. no abuse at all

150shot 05-18-2011 06:25 PM

YOu will get this as with any hi-end/exotic car. Yes I do get alot of positive, but also some negative. Usually its the family men in the Minivan/SUV that give dirty looks..I can see in the rearview mirror or they look over , etc...

My car is lowered, rims which probably makes it stand out a bit more which also contributes to negative attention..top is 99% down at all times +)

jmf003 05-18-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick1975 (Post 4679045)
I get quite the opposite, I am surprised by the number of people who actually bother to complimetn the car in traffic. And it comes people of all different 'types'. no abuse at all

My experience has been the same.

Quaker13 05-18-2011 07:13 PM

damn i just noticed i spelled jealous wrong

Benz-O-Rama 05-18-2011 07:42 PM

I've always gotten overwhelming positive feedback from strangers.

This is an odd thread though. Are the stories told here, going to affect your purchase decision?

Quaker13 05-18-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama (Post 4679230)
I've always gotten overwhelming positive feedback from strangers.

This is an odd thread though. Are the stories told here, going to affect your purchase decision?

no i was just curious. i have never owned a car this highend, so i was trying to gather a sense of what to expect. I have been wavering between an SL55 and an Jaguar XKR, both of which I anticipate bringing me alot of attention particularly as a 30 year old bachleor.

abiazis 05-18-2011 08:05 PM

reactions

I have had people expressly open their windows about half a dozen times to tell me that the car is off the hook gorgeous........also get lots of thumbs up, especially from teenagers or 20 somethings.....

Never had any direct negative comments which is hard to believe.......but have had people not let me in traffic, I think due to the perceived value of the SL relative to theirs, etc....

I do get some direct negatives with my Porsche 911, even though it is garden variety 1995 cab.....i.e. midlife crisis car, where's the blonde under the seat, etc.....

All of that said, I am waiting for the SL to be keyed as I have been with several of my cars......

You just have to strategically park......safe but not isolated out too far from general parking to draw attention.....i.e. corner spots, one parking row further out, etc...

I have had people park real close to me, I think on purpose when I park out too far.......and once had a coffee thrown on the car in a hotel parking lot...........

Maverick1975 05-18-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quaker13 (Post 4679248)
no i was just curious. i have never owned a car this highend, so i was trying to gather a sense of what to expect. I have been wavering between an SL55 and an Jaguar XKR, both of which I anticipate bringing me alot of attention particularly as a 30 year old bachleor.

I have yet to have a redhot chick bend herself over the bonnet and ask me to give her one.

Apifane 05-18-2011 11:17 PM

All Positive, all the time!

deliman 05-19-2011 09:52 AM

I have had my SL55 for 5 years this June. Always lots of positives. Especially from those that own a Benz and know what it is. Always gets looks when the top is down and on the coast highway. Cant recall a real negative experience.

IngenereAMG 05-19-2011 12:25 PM

Nothing negative. It's just a car for me. A nice car... but just a car.

Only YOUR attitude can be a problem. Just get it, drive and enjoy, and don't think you or the car are anything special, and you will be just fine.

I daily drove an F40 for a number of years, as well as a number of Ferrari's, and because I didn't act like a snob, people usually gave positive responses.

Remember, you can't be responsible for someone else's attitude....... only yours.

sound 8 05-19-2011 12:45 PM

When you think about it,if you own a 200 grand car, your going to park
it somewhere and leave it, sends shivers down my spine. If I am going somewhere a little rough I don't take anything decent, you just know it will
be vandalized. This means you get to drive it less, I presume this is through
jealousy, and yet earlier in my life before I had some money, I would travel miles if one of my mates said there was perhaps an E Type, or Ferrari parked
up. I went to drool over it, not vandalize it. It's a shame it stops you using
your car, but it doesn't happen in all countries, I believe the Italians ;love
a beautiful car, obviously Ferrari the most, I don't think you get much
vandalism there.:nix:

clkwork 05-19-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG (Post 4680298)
I daily drove an F40 for a number of years

like a boss :y

nothing but positive comments here as well.

IngenereAMG 05-20-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by sound 8 (Post 4680329)
When you think about it,if you own a 200 grand car, your going to park
it somewhere and leave it, sends shivers down my spine. If I am going somewhere a little rough I don't take anything decent, you just know it will
be vandalized. This means you get to drive it less, I presume this is through
jealousy, and yet earlier in my life before I had some money, I would travel miles if one of my mates said there was perhaps an E Type, or Ferrari parked
up. I went to drool over it, not vandalize it. It's a shame it stops you using
your car, but it doesn't happen in all countries, I believe the Italians ;love
a beautiful car, obviously Ferrari the most, I don't think you get much
vandalism there.:nix:

All of my UK Ferrari buddies tell me that vandalism is rampant in the UK.

sound 8 05-20-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG (Post 4681878)
All of my UK Ferrari buddies tell me that vandalism is rampant in the UK.

And there right, over here they scratch anything, even if it's an older car.
This means, I don't take my SL to certain areas, certain neighborhoods,
no car parks ,especially those with wobbling shopping trolleys:eek:
Nope I resign myself to only driving to work and to friends, still at
least it keeps the mileage down.:rolf:

B R 05-21-2011 02:55 AM

Driving around in LA, my car attracts about as much attention as a Toyota Corolla :nix:

the head 05-21-2011 10:40 AM

Usually positive for me as well. I get a lot of cell phone pics taken. I think the only snob reaction perceived is when I don't race every stinking BMW, ricer, or corvette on the street that tries to prod me into doing something stupid. I just smile and wave. I only drive mine to certain places as well and take a long look at where to park.

cal1 05-21-2011 03:08 PM

I have had 99% positive comments. I have had a few people tell me I should have bought a Z3 or Z4. At first I took it as a knock, but now think they are just idiots that have no knowledge of what an SL really is.

iAMGod 05-21-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by cal1 (Post 4683530)
I have had 99% positive comments. I have had a few people tell me I should have bought a Z3 or Z4. At first I took it as a knock, but now think they are just idiots that have no knowledge of what an SL really is.

If you ever meet someone who thinks you should of bought a Z3 or Z4 over an SL, avoid them......If you happen to be reading this and your one of those people....hang yourself.

cal1 05-21-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by iAMGod (Post 4683630)
If you ever meet someone who thinks you should of bought a Z3 or Z4 over an SL, avoid them......If you happen to be reading this and your one of those people....hang yourself.

Haha... I am very tempted to send a link of this thread to one of the dumb a$$ friends that told me this. He also told me a stock C5 vette is a mid 11 1/4 mile runner. that was in response to me telling him my PB was 11.8. on street tires. This is one of the guys that taught me to keep my "F"ing mouth shut when it comes to ETs and RHWP. It doesn't matter what you tell them, they know of a guy that is way faster and has way more HP. Of course you know it is coming out their arse.

cal1 05-21-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick1975 (Post 4679488)
I have yet to have a redhot chick bend herself over the bonnet and ask me to give her one.

Well, this isn't the bonnet, but is it close enough?

For those of you who won't notice, there is an SL in the picture. The old timers to MBW have seen this and are maybe tired of it or maybe not :)

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/c...23-sl-rear.jpg

iAMGod 05-21-2011 08:10 PM

Praise be to you....

:eek:

lkirchner 05-22-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quaker13 (Post 4678858)
I am wondering what kind of negative attention I would get if any, be it from cops, women, men and adolescents.

Anyways, I would love to hear your stories.

Never a negative gesture, typically a thumbs up. The only problem that I have is my wife's S550 Designo gets more thumbs up.:D

sound 8 05-23-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by B R (Post 4682914)
Driving around in LA, my car attracts about as much attention as a Toyota Corolla :nix:

Oh dear, I feel for you. Lets face it we buy cars mainly for the looks, you
may not be a poser, but you like to see your car get the looks. I think the
trouble with the SL55 ( i never had many looks in mine too ) is that the
front is typically Mercedes and similar to some of the lowlier models. Sure
it was pretty, but now days you need brute ugly, loads of bling and aggressive styling. This is the honest truth, when I got my 63 the first day
I had it I had a group of people at the petrol station, asking me questions,
all my friends wanted to hear the exhaust over and over, then that night picking up a take out a gang of guys almost stopped me from driving off.
Then when I started up they were star struck :bow: and refused to believe
it was a standard exhaust. If you look at all cars, they are all becoming
outrageous in the looks dept, even Jaguar are bringing out louder more
attractive looking cars.:D