SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Exhaust Finally Modified (Cat/Resonator/Straight Pipes)! - A few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Estate
Talking SL55 Exhaust Finally Modified (Cat/Resonator/Straight Pipes)! - A few questions

Hi all,

Had my SL55 exhaust modified yestrerday, bloody hell my car is loud now!

In basic we chopped out the secondary cats and resenator boxes and replaced it with straight pipe, please see below (excuse the mobile phone picture!):

SL55 Exhaust Finally Modified (Cat/Resonator/Straight Pipes)! - A few questions-imag0649ggggg.jpg

A few questions!

1) We didn't do an H pipe or X pipe, both banks are separated through the entire system. Each side does not meet at any point unlike before where there were 2-3 H Pipes. I can here it slightly pulsing through each side of the exhaust system, would it be worth installing an H pipe or X pipe to connect the two parts together, would this help to mix the exhaust gasses a little better helping performance? What are the pro's and con's?

2) It sounds, as you would expect, bloody awsome! It has developed a very strange metallic sound at low RPM's though. It sounds like a clamp has come loose so it's shaking on the exhaust but everything is tight! It only does it after hard hard driving, I can cruise around for ages with no noise, give it a blast, then when I slow down it starts doing it?

If nothing is loose or touching is it possible that I've destroyed the baffles in the rear mufflers, from the added exhaust pressure? Thus when it gets really hot they start to make strange noises? The noise is really metallic and high pitched, any ideas? Kinda reverberates at low speed!

3) Gonna remove the mufflers next week and replace them with straight pipes using the original tail pipes so it looks stock. Think it's going to sound completely rediculous but will love it Eventually will remove primary cars and get a better set of manifolds.

Anyhow if someone could advise me on the above that would be great as the noise is driving me mad! Didn't noticed much performance loss or gain, maybe a bit of low end torque lost for a bit more up top gained.

Cheers all,

Toby

Last edited by Monky; 11-21-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:23 PM

sl55 AMG
Glad you took my advice RE the X over by the secondary cats.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM

C63 Estate
Originally Posted by Chris-W
What do you mean buddy?

Also think the noise is something loose lol will check it out tomorrow.

T

Last edited by Monky; 11-21-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I bet it sounds menacing!

I think it'll sound absolutely insane without the mufflers.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
We need some vids so we can hear this beast!

I can't tell from the picture, but did you remove the "H" pipe upstream from the secondaries (158)? it is called "b mixing area" in the diagram.

SL55 Exhaust Finally Modified (Cat/Resonator/Straight Pipes)! - A few questions-exhaust1.jpg
Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
ViDeOs!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Here is mine with shorty headers and secondary deletes. You can hear the screaming SC thanks to the 180 counter pulley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3Tfq2JlG0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5oI-qNApM

It is actually quite a bit louder than the cheap little flip recorded.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 AM

C63 Estate
Originally Posted by Chris-W
@ Chris-W - What did you mean buddy? Have I missed something? Do you think I need an X pipe near where the secondary cars used to be? If you could clarify that would be grand. I can feel it pulsing and the idle sticks a for a short amount when backing off the throttle so maybe it is needed to ensure the gases mix? Let me know

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
I bet it sounds menacing!
I think it'll sound absolutely insane without the mufflers.
@ Benzo - Yeah it's pretty mad, much louder than other videos I've heard where seconday cats & resenators have been removed

Originally Posted by cal1
We need some vids so we can hear this beast!

I can't tell from the picture, but did you remove the "H" pipe upstream from the secondaries (158)? it is called "b mixing area" in the diagram.

@ cal1 - Yeah will get some videos done shortly. Your sounds lovely, but quite a bit quieter for some reason? Maybe just the audio quality.

As per the diagram, yes the H pipe (B mixing area) has been removed. Each side does not meet at any point, is this the wrong way to do it? My exhaust man did say he could put in a H pipe or X pipe at a later date to help mix the gases a little. Do I need to do this to get better performance, you can hear it pulsing as I'm guessing it's not equal on both sides hence the exhaust sides need to meet at some point?

Let me know your thoughts guys, just want to know which route is best.

Thanks,

T

Last edited by Monky; 11-22-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 PM

sl55 AMG
The B mixing area was removed on my last SL55 and it added a much more brutal V8 sound and I didnt have any pulsing issues.

Currently I'm running the Kleeman manifolds and have removed the primary cats. I'll be removing my rear resonators when I'm back in a few weeks too. Toby where is your exhaust guy? and is he expensive?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 AM

W124 E500 (RIP), W211 E350 (Sold), R230 SL55 (Current)
I'm sure an x pipe would make it sound better. Just go ask the e55 guys.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:22 PM

C63 Estate
Hey Chirs, just sent you a text. He's based in Brixton and charged me £350.00 for the work. Been using him here for years really good guy in all honesty.

Thanks for the offer on the pump but went for a Johnson in the end
Old 11-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I would not delete the mufflers. What sounds awesome on the SL600/65 will not translate into something you can live with on an SL55. The cabin noise would be skull crushing.

I understand lots of us like loud cars (myself included). What would be awesome for a few weeks would quickly turn to not so awesome. In this case I would recommend looking into electronic cutouts. You can be as loud as you want and the moment you get sick of it. All you have to do is flick the switch.

Quick Time Performance (QTP) makes a low profile electronic cutout system its under $400 w/ overnight shippng from Summit Racing. I would highly suggest you look into this option than deleting the whole muffler system.

As for X-pipes or H-pipes. I feel its never a bad thing to merge the gases from one bank to another (after the o2's) However since you don't have headers (I think) Its not really worth it. If you have long headers and cat deletes an X-pipe would help scavenging, but if you got factory primary cats and no headers. Its not worth it. On that regard I think you did the right thing.

Anyways, you have a ton of room to work in some cutouts, with a good turn down. I would put them int he resonator's old location.

My vote is for cutouts and no muffler delete. Best of both worlds.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Porsche 968
The QTP cutout looks like a great idea. Would teh correct location for this be in the bend just before the center muffler (159)?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM

e55 2005
Originally Posted by RaFFi ///AMG
I'm sure an x pipe would make it sound better. Just go ask the e55 guys.
Best set up for 55k ... shorty headers x pipe and aftermarket exhaust...

anything else is massive drone and just unpleasant