SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Time to sell the SL65....

Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Time to sell the SL65....

Well, a bit bummed out.. news at the dealer today after I bought new wipers, brake flush, differential gear oil change and oil and filter change for $500.......at 61K miles and 7 years of driving this great car: The verdict......another $9K to get it up to speed on maintenance...

-2 bad motor mounts - one leaking - requires engine removal as we know
-ABC hose to the tandem pump is leaking...4th hose leak on ABC system
-water reservoir cracked at top
-new front brake pads needed - rotors good for another 10K
-2 new front tires needed
-02 oil sensor leaking
- 3 new air filters needed
- new cabin filters probably needed

They say approximate $ 9K in repairs on a car after Mercedes club discount that maxes out at $25-30k on a trade-in if I was so inclined......which I just don't really feel like spending now that extended warranty is done...

Car looks fantastic and was well cared for and is running the VERY best it ever has with new plugs, updated coils, ignition transformer replaced, transmission filter/fluid change and antifreeze change over the last 10-20K miles......

Looks like Carmax appraisal tomorrow as it is time to eliminate a car......don't think the dealer will buy it.........time to scale back I guess.....wife not supporting any repairs this time...don't blame her....just put in new Cocomats to boot!! Always happens that way.....

Last edited by abiazis; 02-17-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Boo
Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65
Take it to an indy shop. It should be cheaper than the dealer.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
You kno you don't have to get this done at the dealer and alot of that stuff is not hard to except the motor mounts
Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Originally Posted by abiazis
.wife not supporting any repairs this time...don't blame her....just put in new Coconuts to boot!! Always happens that way.....
My wife has zero say in what I spend on toys.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
This is why a lot of these cars have become so cheap. Besides the age mileage and wear and tear, the lack of maintenance really drive the price down. When it is neglected people try to dump them cheap and it becomes the next guys problem. Its too bad you have recently become aware of all the problems at once and now its too much to digest in one sitting. $9,000 at the dealer is more like $4-5k at an indy shop. Spread that over another 3-4 years of use and that isn't really much to talk about.

A well maintained car with slightly higher mileage is a much better value. Many people look at the cheaper ebay cars thinking the going price of these cars are as cheap as shown and can buy them for a few grand less. They will learn their lesson and pay more for the repairs in the long run compared to buying a properly maintained car. As a owner who has lost interest in the car it makes sense to sell without repairing, as you won't get your money back in the sale. As a buyer, there is no such thing as free candy and almost all the time you get what you pay for or less. If its too good to be true you are probably missing something.

If you still love the car you have to convince your wife of the value that it has even at its age. There are still not a lot of cars that can provide quiet refined performance for what it is worth. Keep it and enjoy it, unless you are getting a new one. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
This is why a lot of these cars have become so cheap. Besides the age mileage and wear and tear, the lack of maintenance really drive the price down. When it is neglected people try to dump them cheap and it becomes the next guys problem. Its too bad you have recently become aware of all the problems at once and now its too much to digest in one sitting. $9,000 at the dealer is more like $4-5k at an indy shop. Spread that over another 3-4 years of use and that isn't really much to talk about.

A well maintained car with slightly higher mileage is a much better value. Many people look at the cheaper ebay cars thinking the going price of these cars are as cheap as shown and can buy them for a few grand less. They will learn their lesson and pay more for the repairs in the long run compared to buying a properly maintained car. As a owner who has lost interest in the car it makes sense to sell without repairing, as you won't get your money back in the sale. As a buyer, there is no such thing as free candy and almost all the time you get what you pay for or less. If its too good to be true you are probably missing something.

If you still love the car you have to convince your wife of the value that it has even at its age. There are still not a lot of cars that can provide quiet refined performance for what it is worth. Keep it and enjoy it, unless you are getting a new one. Good luck!
Further to this, you will not get anywhere near the amount of car in your 65 for the 30k you could sell it for, even if you factor in the 5k or so in repairs.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM

Busy day...

Good posts and points by most above as I disconnect from my AMG - to RACEHORSE, BOOSTD, Fastlife, Viper.......yes......hard to find this type of performance for close to $ 30,000. National Auction sales at the moment on 6 - 2005s range from $26K to $34.5K for cars with 42K to 87K miles. 4 black and 2 silver cars - 4 average shape, 2 exceptional on the high end of the $$.

Guess I am just very tired of the "maintenance and repair grind" with these cars versus other brands, i.e. compared to my 3 Porsches I have had.....

My one wife of 30 years does has a fair say in the finances because it works better for me that way......never felt lacking for anything related to automobiles, but mutual common sense does prevail at times....as she has seen me pour significant money into this car and my other 2 high end cars with only a slight sigh......... ps - I would love to ask Aeroman's wife if she agrees with his assessment on his toy spending........ ))))

Note to Racehorse - Please note that I am a true fanatic on keeping up on the basic maintenance and have spent close to 21K in 7 years maintaining this car - which is probably average for a 65.....a few months ago, there were no leaks from mounts or ABC line from the tandem pump (4th leak from the system over the years....)....it is always something with these cars I must say........I go by the book and then some....the car looks awesome....

Just the progressing age of 11 years and 61K miles, which is not that many miles has caused these wear issues.....nothing cropped up due to negligence, it just happened....the engine has never run better the last 10K miles with new plugs, coils, O2 sensors, new transformer, etc......brakes are half spent during the 27 K to 61K mile run I had the car, which show I probably did not abuse the car....never did a burnout with it......flat out speed yes....no track time at all........changed ALL fluids including entire ABC system at 40K..... on or before time......

So today asked my MB dealer after picking up the 65 from my regular maintenance service - oil/filter, brake fluid flush, differential oil change, new wipers - $ 510 - if they would buy my car, as they do know it......

They were willing to shop it around,i.e. sell to auction houses, but advised they could not buy it themselves due to no warranty or extended transferrable warranty, which ran out last year........Easy Care was probably happy to see me go as 15K was covered by them out of the 21K I have spent while owning the car which I bought for 65K in 2009 with 27K miles........

Anyway.....I have both indys and MB dealers ( Asheville/Atlanta) I use for various repairs, etc....usually I do the basic maintenance at MB dealers who then diagnose the worse possible repairs that are needed and if those repairs are really serious I have the indy do them or myself, i.e. new Arnott struts, ABC lines, etc...I have not had horror stories as far as price gouging and bad service from dealers.......I always get a 10% discount on service and parts due to Mercedes Car Club and good solid work...my indys are good too....

The car at the moment needs the following parts and associated labor:

A new ABC hose that runs to/from the tandem pump....leaking down the hose into front sill at base of radiator ...$ 2-3K
Flex disc leading into the differential - slightly cracked but $ 600....
motor mounts and transmission mount - engine out on the V12 - $ 3K
oil sensor - leaking - $ 600
new washer tank that cracked at the top - $ 200

Brake pads were actually okay)) But still needed tires all around....another $ 1000..........

Estimates for the work was $5K and $6K at the 2 indy shops and $9.2K at the dealer before MB club 10% discounts on parts (and labor which I always get)

So, thinking about these costs and future costs of maintenance averaging about 3 K a year, I have called the love affair with the 65 over without any urging from the wife) reluctantly made the decision myself today and decided to direct the funds from a sale of the 65 toward paying off my 2014 Cayenne GTS, which is a beast of a SUV, and maintaining my immaculate and perfect running 1995 Porsche 993 Cab .........

I will now look for a nice SL 63 AMG to replace it and rejoin the fanatics on this site at a later date.....

End of today after lots of thought, I wheeled into Car Max and received a fair 30K on the nose for my car..........it has been an awesome ride....and quite enjoyable being on the forum here and the Private Lounge..........

I have left extensive notes with the car, window sticker and all service records ( 2 inches thick) for the third owner to review..........plus some brand new back and silver dot Cocomats, the nice grey sheepskin seat inserts and a 19" collapsible compact spare I had purchased from Germany which as you all know, this car did not come with.....I even left the wind stop which some people take and sell on eBay........and new back window black panels that fade over time that I bought "just in case".........it has definitely been a busy day......

Last edited by abiazis; 02-17-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:11 AM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
I sense your anguish abiazis. That is a fun car for sure. At least you had 7 years of fun, that's better than 0...
Old 02-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
off lately we have been seeing a lot of scoring on 600 and 65 block. cars will start blowing smoke and most people think they are failed turbos.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
Originally Posted by shardul
off lately we have been seeing a lot of scoring on 600 and 65 block. cars will start blowing smoke and most people think they are failed turbos.
I'm sorry scoring?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:10 PM

that is a new one...
Old 02-18-2016, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
I guess I can see your point to a certain extent. It sounds like you really went above and beyond to maintain things you were aware of, only to find out there is much more going on. Unfortunately, having the other toys may have helped you let go. (My other cars include the appliance commuter, the big family SUV and an old Cadillac. More of a reason to keep a big HP car around.)

It didn't sound like an easy decision, but if you don't intend to keep it forever, I think you made a very wise move. At some point with cars you are throwing good money into something you will not get back. It never makes sense, you just have to like it, if not move on.

It was very genuine of you to include the history of the car. It will certainly help the next owner pick up with a clear understanding. Even though your car needed a little work it can make a new face smile for a while, assuming they are not buying it unknowingly with their entire life savings. Its too bad another forum member couldn't have grabbed it as it seems worth the money to someone willing to do the work. Regardless, good luck with what you have and I hope to see you in the forums with another MB.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM

Class act

Thanks Racehorse for a extremely nice message. It was a ***** of a decision because I loved this car...it won several concurs and blew away Ferraris and Lambos over 120 mph....thanks for the kind words as you were reading my mind's process all the way.....so far it was the nicest car I ever owned but the Cayenne GTS makes it easier to part with it. Gods luck with your fine ride and be safe....plan to be back!!!
Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 AM

Smile 30 K - SOLD

Car MAX came through with good price......
Attached Thumbnails Time to sell the SL65....-img_4621.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
30K?! Crap. You made out good!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, you really did pull the trigger, just like that.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:05 AM

I thought so as far as the finances, but what a car....it was so fine looking in and out and the engine bay looked new.......just was sick of dumping good money into it....and I do have other good cars......even if I had a warranty, it is not inexpensive and probably would have been 5 k and not covered everything as Easy Care was always fighting me on payments on claims....luckily I always won the battles but always a PITA......on to other beasts....looking for a good 63 now...the V8 is nice, sounds great and less maintenance dollars overall when things go wrong .....thanks for your nice comment...
Old 02-22-2016, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 wagon!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
So you listed 7 or 8 significant things that needed to be repaired and yet Carmax bit anyway?!? Wow you must have good powers of persuasion
Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S65 AMG
$30k and it needed all that work?!?!?
You made out GREAT!!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM

The car looked SO great, with super shine....... had absolutely no finish surface flaws or any dings, etc inside to out... and that made them not focus on repairs needed,etc....I also drove the car for them super hard and walked them around the car, i.e. describing the spare tire that I obtained which didn't come with that model car that year, the sheepskin inserts for the seats and new Cocomats.......also had service record from that week for $ 500.00 for regular maintenance and new wipers, etc....engine was running the very best it ever had also........I also had a book written on history of SLs that used my exact car for the example of the SL65 AMG.......it was a good sell job because I got what I thought was more than fair...... as also advised by my Mercedes dealer who knew about the repairs to come.........he said take the money at 30K and RUN!!! PHOTO POSTED A FEW POSTS ABOVE...the car was CHERRY!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
My SL65 ONLY HAS 24K Miles and has had ALL of those same ISSUES!!

I love my 2006 SL65 (Black Opal 1 of 3) with only 24K miles but they are an absolute maintenance nightmare!

I have already replaced everything you listed (Mounts,Coil Packs, Ignition Control, ABC lines, Brake Rotors, Radiator and more!)... Luckily it was all covered by MBUSA after we made a deal (can't discuss)

It is just the poor design, being over engineered and/or time not abuse ,neglect or milage that has caused most of the parts to prematurely fail on the SL65...

I just mentioned to the wife a few days ago after my trunk latch failed (again!!) and the trunk shocks are going flat that I was very disappointed in the reliability of the entire R230 line...

I have (2) 560SLs and one has 186K miles and has NEVER had reliability issues like the R230s have. 150K miles on the 107 chassis and you basically never had have to open the hood... I would drive that car with 186K miles from Malibu to New York tomorrow and not think twice about it... Never would consider a long driving trip in the SL65!

The other 560SL has 69K miles is almost 30 years old (1989) and absolutely nothing is wrong with the car. It needed a radiator because the original plastic tank cracked after almost 30 years. The plastic radiator tank also cracked in my SL65 but after just 7 years!

I have a bunch of older European cars (Ferrari, Porsches, Rolls, Mercedes, V12 BMWs )and not one of them is as unreliable as the SL65!

But there is nothing that takes my breath away like when a drop the hammer in the tuned SL65...

So I will be keeping the SL65 for a VERY LONG TIME!
Attached Thumbnails Time to sell the SL65....-sl65-slr-whls.jpg   Time to sell the SL65....-2-850s.jpg   Time to sell the SL65....-911s-blue-.jpg   Time to sell the SL65....-560sl-grey-euro.jpg   Time to sell the SL65....-dino.jpg  

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 02-24-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
I have a bunch of older European cars (Ferrari, Porsches, Rolls, Mercedes, V12 BMWs )and not one of them is as unreliable as the SL65!
Wow, helluva stable there EXECMALIBU!

How long have you had your Dino? If you're willing to say, would be interested to know how much it cost at the time ... I ask because I had a chance to buy a '72 Dino in 1986 at a car place on La Cienega near Melrose for all of $35k ... but passed it up because I needed a 'daily driver' and couldn't afford a second car at the time. Been crying over it ever since!