SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Replaced coil pack (wasn't the voltage transformer...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Replaced coil pack (wasn't the voltage transformer...)

Yes, add me to the list...

Back at the end of June, during the week I was moving houses and needed my SL for daily duty since I left the C to the out-of-towners, my SL decided to start sputtering as I came to a stoplight. Pulled into a parking lot and even after a restart, it still sputtered. So, at one of the worst times possible, the SL is down. I didn't have time to work on getting the car fixed due to the moving and home selling process.

I had a really old and cheap Actron scanner, so I decided to buy one of the newer and better iCarSoft units. First I thought it was a coil pack since it stated misfire on 1 and 5, but almost immediately 2, 6, 4, then 3 would show up. So maybe voltage transformer?

I bought the voltage transformer and it was WAY too easy to install (once you figure out the clip, of course). Turned on the car, no dice. Putt putt putt.

So I ordered the pass side coil pack from RockAuto (along with 12 new plugs) since RockAuto had the best price. NOTE TO EVERYONE: RockAuto has a bad cross-reference part number which links the coil pack to a part number C1363. This is the WRONG coil pack (some completely different engine that I'm not sure of). So I sent it back to RockAuto for replacement since it's the wrong part. Take 2: they send me the same C1363 part again. This time I just asked for a refund, and for some reason I had to pay for return shipping. While it was only 6 bucks, I'm just annoyed that I would have to pay anything for their mistake.

Nonetheless, after now ordering the part through a dealer and having a slight delay, I was finally able to install the new pack today when it arrived. Surprisingly, it only took 3 hours start to finish, including doing the 12 plugs, never having done this job before, and starting at 8pm after a full day of work. Despite a few snags here and there, the job was actually straight forward, and I didn't run into any major unexpected issues, as unfortunately normally happens during any repair.

Hitting the start button, it was fantastic to feel the startup torque of the V12 engine shake the suspension back and forth on the first fire cycle. The roar is back (and I'm pretty sure I woke up the neighbors in the process).

PS - If anyone needs a like-brand-new voltage transformer, feel free to PM me. It's only been cycled once (when I figured out it wasn't my problem, and I put the old one back in). Make offer
Old 10-26-2017, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Sooner or later they will all need coils.

IMO, leave the transformer in there. The ign system doesn't work as well with age, and once you've replaced both coils and the transformer, with the updated current gen parts, it's probably going to be problem-free for many, many years. A small investment for the peace of mind for me. I'm actually thinking of taking my CL next time I go to Jacksonville for training, it's finally starting to feel reliable enough to take on a long trip without worry. I'm sure it will break again soon and shock me back to reality though lol