MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230-49/)
-   -   SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My first Benz (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/736377-my-first-benz.html)

jdgun 02-19-2019 03:37 PM

My first Benz

After some delays, and shady dealers, I found a car that I felt should fit right in with the other girls in the garage.
Previously a corvette owner, but wanted to try something a bit different , little less common and able to still bring smiles when opening her up.
Car is currently bone stock and will get a few goodies in the next month: SC pulley, Strap kit, Tune, Bosch HE pump, and possibly headers and some exhaust work.
Doing some carbon fiber add ones, and interior stuff as well.
Right now trying to figure out 19 or 20" wheels and what works for tire sizes.

As she sits right now.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6ce03d1e07.jpg

smithwn55 02-19-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jdgun (Post 7685660)
After some delays, and shady dealers, I found a car that I felt should fit right in with the other girls in the garage.
Previously a corvette owner, but wanted to try something a bit different , little less common and able to still bring smiles when opening her up.
Car is currently bone stock and will get a few goodies in the next month: SC pulley, Strap kit, Tune, Bosch HE pump, and possibly headers and some exhaust work.
Doing some carbon fiber add ones, and interior stuff as well.
Right now trying to figure out 19 or 20" wheels and what works for tire sizes.

As she sits right now.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6ce03d1e07.jpg

Hey Jd

I'm in same boat as you and have similar plans. Suggest you may want to start the process with an LSD, I just got sideways today by accident in Comfort mode when I floored it going about 30mph. Funny but scary too. I will also likely get a HSTC installed before doing the typical performance mods. Just my $.02.

What year is your car? Are those stock wheels or something different?

Bill

jdgun 02-19-2019 04:20 PM

Car is a 2003 bone stock, barring window tint.
Not sure what a LSD or HSTC are,
I am no stranger to fast cars, but have way more homework to do on this car before going all stupid with the gas pedal, LOL.

Is there any type of yaw control, TC, etc?

smithwn55 02-19-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jdgun (Post 7685709)
Car is a 2003 bone stock, barring window tint.
Not sure what a LSD or HSTC are,
I am no stranger to fast cars, but have way more homework to do on this car before going all stupid with the gas pedal, LOL.

Is there any type of yaw control, TC, etc?

Oh, sorry. LSD is limited slip differential. HSTC is High Stall Torque Converter. Quaife seems to be the "caddy" of LSD's and UPD has supplied many on the forum with an HTSC (as have Weistec, Kleeman and other suppliers from what I read).

Yaw control, nah we don't have one of those as this ain't no airplane!

Ed954 02-19-2019 10:58 PM

Congrats on the purchase

850csi 02-20-2019 12:39 AM

Congrats!

I'm trying to get a sense for the market on these -- do you mind me asking how much you paid?

jdgun 02-20-2019 03:22 PM

I paid $18,000 with doc and all the dealer fee's... No sales tax here in Oregon.

Car was inspected at the MB dealer, has nearly new tires, and clean.

Nor Cal SL55 02-20-2019 03:51 PM

Nice Car! Enjoy it.

Welcome to the site.

jdgun 02-20-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nor Cal SL55 (Post 7686664)
Nice Car! Enjoy it.

Welcome to the site.

Thank you
Looking at your list of mods, how much of a difference did you feel you gained? I like what you have listed for mods, that is my first round of mods pending deciding which pulley to run.

Ingenere 02-21-2019 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by smithwn55 (Post 7685720)
Oh, sorry. LSD is limited slip differential. HSTC is High Stall Torque Converter. Quaife seems to be the "caddy" of LSD's and UPD has supplied many on the forum with an HTSC (as have Weistec, Kellman and other suppliers from what I read).

Yaw control, nah we don't have one of those as this ain't no airplane!

If he doesn't know what LSD is he is not going to know what it does!

$18K...... That is a bargain. I've had mine since new. There is absolutely no reason to ever sell it. It's too good a car to basically give away.

jdgun 02-21-2019 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ingenere (Post 7687131)
If he doesn't know what LSD is he is not going to know what it does!

$18K...... That is a bargain. I've had mine since new. There is absolutely no reason to ever sell it. It's too good a car to basically give away.

Oh indeed I know what it does, lol... Owned multiple Mustangs, Camaro, Trans Ams, Vettes, and a 350z. Kinda surprised this car does not have this as standard equipment?

smithwn55 02-21-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jdgun (Post 7687326)
Oh indeed I know what it does, lol... Owned multiple Mustangs, Camaro, Trans Ams, Vettes, and a 350z. Kinda surprised this car does not have this as standard equipment?

it's standard, but electronic from what I read. Not nearly as effective as a 100% mechanical system though.