MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230-49/)
-   -   SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 with 135k miles - Buying advice- Should I trade in my XKR? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/747173-sl63-135k-miles-buying-advice-should-i-trade-my-xkr.html)

peterek 06-10-2019 10:25 PM

SL63 with 135k miles - Buying advice- Should I trade in my XKR?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello

I would like your opinion on trading my 2011 Jaguar XKR with 70k miles ( 3 owners no service history) for 2009 SL63 with 135k miles ( 1 owner since new, purchased, serviced/maintained and traded in to the same dealership)

I love the way my jag drives but I like the way SL63 looks, i think it look more aggressive comparing to kind of bland front end of XKR. I test drove above SL last saturday. no issue with the car other than squeaky driver's door armrest.
Comparing to my XKR it seem little slower in comfort mode. brakes felt little spongy . and car felt heavier. also MPG of 11 comparing to mine 18mpg it not the best. but the looks .... it is one sexy beast....

So what do you think about 135k miles on this car? i spoke to the owner and he said he didnt have any big issues with the car. he was going to dealership for literary everything , even bulb change and tire change.....
Cylinder Head head bolts have been also replaced . Dealer wants 22.5k for the car... and offers me 22k for my car.

I'm attaching a service records and carfax so you can take a look and tell me if there is anything else that i need to pay attention too..

Pics of the car next to my XKR
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1d97ab7962.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9e94777705.jpg

Das Geld 2 06-10-2019 10:40 PM

I can comment on the VMI, it's extremely comprehensive. I quickly scrolled. I see oil changes, trans flushes, ABC flushes..I see shock changed. If the ABC pump was changed that's amazing too..head bolts are done that's great.

I say the rest of ownership is luck, might be a trouble free baby for years

Adi-Benz 06-11-2019 08:18 AM

I would probably do it. This is a weekend driver?

BlownV8 06-11-2019 08:20 AM

Nope, not with that engine even if the headbolts were replaced.

850csi 06-11-2019 09:03 AM

Two years older and almost double the mileage -- I don't think that SL63 is worth as much as your XKR, even with what appears to be a fantastic service history. I'd pass, personally.

(I made the choice between XKR, SL, Stang GT, Corvette, 650i, and Boxster, so I understand why you're tempted to try an R230)

peterek 06-11-2019 09:33 AM

yes, Weekend and summer car, I walk to work so this car will make less than 1000-2000 miles per year

peterek 06-11-2019 09:35 AM

That's funny. I had a 2000 boxster before XKR, i also was lookng at corvettes and 650i. I really like the way XKR drives, but the front looks so bland and boring, i wish I got a 2012 with updated front end....

850csi 06-11-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by peterek (Post 7776166)
That's funny. I had a 2000 boxster before XKR, i also was lookng at corvettes and 650i. I really like the way XKR drives, but the front looks so bland and boring, i wish I got a 2012 with updated front end....

Funny you say that, when I was in the market I limited my search to 09 and older XKRs because I wanted the older more conservative looks and 4.2l powerplant. Ultimately decided on our SL because of the looks, feel, M113k, and also visibility was better than any soft top.

I also walk to work and am willing to do some DIYing — hence how a 31yo can justify owning 3 unreliable German cars!

Adi-Benz 06-12-2019 09:12 AM

Everybody is afraid of that engine here, but coming from the W204 world those things run for a long time, especially if you have headbolts done it's basically a done deal.

C280 Sport 06-12-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by peterek (Post 7776163)
yes, Weekend and summer car, I walk to work so this car will make less than 1000-2000 miles per year

Honest to God if it is well kept as it does appear to be. The PPI comes back clean and you can talk with the previous owner about it and only do 1,000 or so miles a year it seems like something I would say YES to. I never buy cars with anywhere near that milage but in this case that might be the exception. Check to make sure the headbolt issue was done, ABC is working and the vario roof as well. Headbolt upgrade is like Porsche IMS. Once it is done the chances are you will never have to touch it again.

C280 Sport 06-12-2019 09:57 AM

Maybe see if you can get a aftermarket warranty just for the hell of it?

Any interior pics? Did the owner keep it clean too and not do too much damage to the seat bolsters?

C280 Sport 06-12-2019 10:04 AM

Also, I think I found this car online. If it is the same car then carfax shows damage. Did anyone mention that to you?

peterek 06-12-2019 11:05 AM

Yes Headbolt issue was done, Roof is working, ABC works fine, Seats are in surprising good condition with that mileage... the metal scuff plates by the doors are scratched up but that is normal, driver's door arm rest squeaks a lot when i put my arm on it... those are the only issues that i found..

I talked to the owner, damage was done to the rear. when his wife reversed into a parked trailer, , rear bumper cover was replaced by insurance.

than you all for your opinions this is very helpful...

mrmotoguzzi00 06-12-2019 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by peterek (Post 7777163)
Yes Headbolt issue was done, Roof is working, ABC works fine, Seats are in surprising good condition with that mileage... the metal scuff plates by the doors are scratched up but that is normal, driver's door arm rest squeaks a lot when i put my arm on it... those are the only issues that i found..

I talked to the owner, damage was done to the rear. when his wife reversed into a parked trailer, , rear bumper cover was replaced by insurance.

If your really interested id put it up on a lift and check behind the bumper cover for any structural repairs....

thats a lotta money for a lotta miles.. might be worth it if ya keep for along time... otherwise i would pass...

BlownV8 06-12-2019 12:11 PM

More to worry about than the headbolts. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-failures.html

C280 Sport 06-12-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by peterek (Post 7777163)

I see. Well if they can do a PPI and get it on the lift and show you whats under there then that would make me sleep better at night.

Viper98912 06-12-2019 05:48 PM

I have 98,000 miles on my SL65 and it honestly hasn't given me too many problems. If you feel comfortable with it and want a change, then I'd say go for it if the price is right for you.

If you do this as a trade, what does that mean for taxes? Would you pay just the sales tax on $500? Then tag and title? That's an interesting trade...

peterek 06-12-2019 06:33 PM

not sure about taxes, but i got a deal sheet with all numbers....

i think that 22k for my 2011 xkr with 65k miles a little low. what you think?

so Sales lady said that my total would be $1500 to trade in my xkr and drive off in SL63...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6ce8e25cde.jpg

Ed954 06-12-2019 10:34 PM

I will vote "yes". Especially if the bolt was already addressed. Your biggest expenses will be airmatic and vario roof. Ours just went out, but our local shop rebuild the leaking cylinder for $300.

peterek 06-12-2019 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ed954 (Post 7777777)
I will vote "yes". Especially if the bolt was already addressed. Your biggest expenses will be airmatic and vario roof. Ours just went out, but our local shop rebuild the leaking cylinder for $300.

I know about airmatic issues, but how often vario roof fails? Is it a common issue? More common than other convertibles ?

BlownV8 06-12-2019 11:41 PM

There is no airmatic on the 230 SL.

bruceeboy 06-13-2019 11:32 AM

To answer your question, I agree with those that say it's worth a shot. I purchased a '11 SL63 last fall for my daily driver and did not research this model to the extent you have, so was somewhat caught out by some of the issues others have described in this forum. I've always liked the look of the R230s and have had more compliments from random strangers than I would have expected. If I had known about the head bolt issues in particular, I might have hesitated, or certainly tried to leverage that when negotiating the price, but given that you're getting a roughly $160k car for a fraction of the original cost makes it an interesting prospect to own one even now.

In your case, it's definitely a plus that it's a one owner car and clearly that individual stayed on top of routine maintenance as well as any periodic issues that surfaced. The one thing that caught my eye, was that the head bolts were listed under "Damage History," on the service history report? Does that mean that he had a failure and that's when the bolts were replaced vs. replacing them as a preventive measure? If so, I'd probably want to know a little more about the extent of those circumstances. On the plus side, the car's clearly accumulated many miles since the head bolts were replaced, so nothing to suggest any lingering problems that have been overlooked.

In my case, the local dealer and MB USA tells me that my car was not affected by the head bolt issue, but my research tells me otherwise and warrants a closer look. This is the second car I've acquired of late that potentially has an issue that should have been resolved under warranty, but I realize it would have hit MB's pocket book hard and that was evidently enough of a disincentive to risk letting their reputation suffer a little. While I find forums like this one are very helpful they also tend to highlight any car model issues and can make you a little paranoid (IMO), so I wouldn't necessarily let that scare me away from a car that I really wanted and looks like it was well maintained.

peterek 06-13-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bruceeboy (Post 7778197)
To answer your question, I agree with those that say it's worth a shot. I purchased a '11 SL63 last fall for my daily driver and did not research this model to the extent you have, so was somewhat caught out by some of the issues others have described in this forum. I've always liked the look of the R230s and have had more compliments from random strangers than I would have expected. If I had known about the head bolt issues in particular, I might have hesitated, or certainly tried to leverage that when negotiating the price, but given that you're getting a roughly $160k car for a fraction of the original cost makes it an interesting prospect to own one even now.

In your case, it's definitely a plus that it's a one owner car and clearly that individual stayed on top of routine maintenance as well as any periodic issues that surfaced. The one thing that caught my eye, was that the head bolts were listed under "Damage History," on the service history report? Does that mean that he had a failure and that's when the bolts were replaced vs. replacing them as a preventive measure? If so, I'd probably want to know a little more about the extent of those circumstances. On the plus side, the car's clearly accumulated many miles since the head bolts were replaced, so nothing to suggest any lingering problems that have been overlooked.

In my case, the local dealer and MB USA tells me that my car was not affected by the head bolt issue, but my research tells me otherwise and warrants a closer look. This is the second car I've acquired of late that potentially has an issue that should have been resolved under warranty, but I realize it would have hit MB's pocket book hard and that was evidently enough of a disincentive to risk letting their reputation suffer a little. While I find forums like this one are very helpful they also tend to highlight any car model issues and can make you a little paranoid (IMO), so I wouldn't necessarily let that scare me away from a car that I really wanted and looks like it was well maintained.

That’s nicely put :)

what is your average mpg in sl63?

my xkr does 18mpg and even when I have fun with it ...

bruceeboy 06-13-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by peterek (Post 7778290)
That’s nicely put :)

what is your average mpg in sl63?

my xkr does 18mpg and even when I have fun with it ...

At the risk of sounding a bit too laissez faire, I've never actually measured gas mileage, but it's atrocious. I swear you can actually see the gas gauge drop under hard acceleration. As I'm retired, I'm not putting a lot of miles on the car, but it would definitely start to get old if I was truly using it as a daily driver and always having to pull up to the pump. It is wicked fast though, and on the crappy 2 lane roads out in the country, I love having the confidence of being able to pass slow moving traffic without having to worry about what's coming the other way ....:)

HLG600 06-13-2019 05:35 PM

Car looks clean with thorough maintenance records. Mileage is high but I wouldn't be too intimidated by it if everything else checks out.

Originally Posted by Ed954 (Post 7777777)

Originally Posted by peterek (Post 7777792)
I know about airmatic issues, but how often vario roof fails? Is it a common issue? More common than other convertibles ?

These cars use ABC, not Airmatic (hydraulic fluid vs. air). Struts/shocks are NBD given that upgraded Arnott units can be purchased with a lifetime warranty for a fraction of the cost of OE Mercedes replacements.

As for issues with the M156, I feel that they are a bit exaggerated. The reports of cams and buckets wearing out are concentrated among cars that see track duty (i.e. not 99.9% of R230s) and in general, these are failure rates in the single digits.

Irritating and unacceptable, for sure, but easily resolvable as well.