SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Recommendations for SL55 ABC Suspension conversion kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Recommendations for SL55 ABC Suspension conversion kit

I have an 03 SL55 and want to do the suspension conversion but stuck on the best company to use. From what I am seeing online, there is strutmaster's, rebuild master tech and VVK. Strut masters seem to have alot of complaints about their kits and customer service, but their kits only include the struts/coils. Rebuild master tech seems to offer a complete kit with PS pump, struts/coils, sway bars, but reviews are mixed. They have alot of negative reviews on yelp. VVK also offers a complete kit with PS pump, struts/coils and sway bars for the highest price but can't find any reviews from any company from actual Mercedes customers who converted the ABC suspension. So for those of you who have done it, who did you use or who do you recommend?

Last edited by carboy2800; 03-12-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
SL55
I did full VVK and am very happy with it. I track my car so suspension gets a workout.

I didn't use their PS pump, I think it is a URO and I preferred a rebuilt Bosch pump.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:33 AM

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts
2005 SL600
It looks to me like both the Strutmasters and Rebuild Master Tech coilovers are completely non-adjustable. No adjustment for damping, ride height, or spring preload like you have on most coilovers.

VVK coilovers are fully adjustable.

I have a VVK kit, very happy with it.

You might also look at Silvers Neomax. They're fully adjustable, and I've seen some people happy with those. I think Ceika makes a few different models for the R230/R231, too.

KW makes a coilover kit that has separate adjustments for compression and rebound damping, as well as the usual ride height and spring preload. Expensive.

Whichever way you go, I would recommend you add sway bars. I've driven my car with the VVK coilovers installed but without having installed the sway bars yet; it's not super noticeable right away, in most driving. But when you get into a curve with some bumps in it, you'll notice them missing.
The following users liked this post:
HLG600 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by brucewane
It looks to me like both the Strutmasters and Rebuild Master Tech coilovers are completely non-adjustable. No adjustment for damping, ride height, or spring preload like you have on most coilovers.

VVK coilovers are fully adjustable.

I have a VVK kit, very happy with it.

You might also look at Silvers Neomax. They're fully adjustable, and I've seen some people happy with those. I think Ceika makes a few different models for the R230/R231, too.

KW makes a coilover kit that has separate adjustments for compression and rebound damping, as well as the usual ride height and spring preload. Expensive.

Whichever way you go, I would recommend you add sway bars. I've driven my car with the VVK coilovers installed but without having installed the sway bars yet; it's not super noticeable right away, in most driving. But when you get into a curve with some bumps in it, you'll notice them missing.
Yea I ran into a few YouTube videos with installs done with the Silver neomax's, the owner of gold element autoworks, who did one of the YouTube videos, said the sway bars were not needed, that it was mearly a selling tactic done by rebuild Mastertech. Yes I understand if tracking the car is done, they will be needed but mine is clearly for street driving, nothing extremely aggressive. Seems the neomax may be what I purchase. Not wanting to go all out with the suspension, just want to get rid of the ABC, with something that is reliable.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
I did a Silvers Neomax and VVK sway bar for my street/highway driven 2004 SL55. Its been a year and I am still very happy!
I posted my experiences in some of the other suspension threads.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:36 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by carboy2800
Yea I ran into a few YouTube videos with installs done with the Silver neomax's, the owner of gold element autoworks, who did one of the YouTube videos, said the sway bars were not needed, that it was mearly a selling tactic done by rebuild Mastertech. Yes I understand if tracking the car is done, they will be needed but mine is clearly for street driving, nothing extremely aggressive. Seems the neomax may be what I purchase. Not wanting to go all out with the suspension, just want to get rid of the ABC, with something that is reliable.
there's a reason that every single performance vehicle with coilovers since the start of the century has sway bars on them from the factory. there's also a reason the lowly SL350 with a V6 had sway bars from the factory. don't believe that garbage.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
Some race cars don’t run sway bars.