MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r231-190/)
-   -   SL65 on Track? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r231/730954-sl65-track.html)

spyder987 12-23-2018 12:44 AM

SL65 on Track?

Just curious if anyone has ever tracked their SL65. Seems like the only good way to run the car in Race mode.

Quadrobenz 12-23-2018 03:28 PM

I tracked an SL63 as part of the AMG Driving Academy. Did 10 laps around Laguna Seca in it. They do not use any V12’s in the Academy. Among the participants it was a close second to the GTR as the car they most enjoyed driving around the track.

spyder987 02-03-2019 09:44 AM

I finally got a chance to take the car on track. I ran a couple of sessions at Laguna Seca. Car is awesome on track. I love the sound of the twin turbo V12. Unfortunately, the front brakes (carbon ceramic) failed after only 21 laps. So, I would caution anyone trying to do this with their stock car. The car design does not provide enough air to the front brake calipers and rotors. I believe the car's capabilities were falsely advertised by Mercedes, after all the car has a Race mode setting and ceramic brakes. I also believe the lack of proper brake cooling ducts is a mechanical defect in these cars. As such I have since sold both of my AMG cars and will never buy a Mercedes or AMG product ever again. Enjoy the video!

Quadrobenz 02-03-2019 04:31 PM

Fantastic video!! Thanks for posting. My laps are posted on the AMG Driving Academy site but we were only video'd in the GTR. We were limited to 100mph although I was was able to get to 105 by dropping back at the turn exits. No way could we get to the 120 you saw on the front straight. One of the pro race drivers took me for a taxi ride in the GTR. We saw just under 140 peak but his braking points were much farther into the turns and his exit speeds were higher.
All the AMG's had carbon ceramic brakes, none failed. The Race Driver/instructors said they last for the season. Really too bad the brakes on yours failed. What was the failure mode? My SL65 has standard brakes since it was not a custom order.

spyder987 02-03-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quadrobenz (Post 7671881)
Fantastic video!! Thanks for posting. My laps are posted on the AMG Driving Academy site but we were only video'd in the GTR. We were limited to 100mph although I was was able to get to 105 by dropping back at the turn exits. No way could we get to the 120 you saw on the front straight. One of the pro race drivers took me for a taxi ride in the GTR. We saw just under 140 peak but his braking points were much farther into the turns and his exit speeds were higher.
All the AMG's had carbon ceramic brakes, none failed. The Race Driver/instructors said they last for the season. Really too bad the brakes on yours failed. What was the failure mode? My SL65 has standard brakes since it was not a custom order.

From what I understand the GTR has better front brake cooling and better pads. One of the forum members reported that the AMG Driving Academy recommended switching to the GTR pads. I asked them for their opinion and they never responded to me. Glad you like video. And yes, I eased off it at turn 1 way before the braking zone.

Quadrobenz 02-04-2019 06:46 PM

If you want to see my laps in the GTR go to amgacademy.com, Final Lap Videos, October 8. I am Tom R. A couple of points. The camera lens makes it look like the car in front is much further away than reality. The front straight was used for car position changes so we could not run flat out. Note how infrequently I was able to use full throttle, I was mostly about 4 car lengths back of the next car. Closer than 3 and they black flag you. Notice the very light braking application, we never were able to use 100% braking on the track. In the infield racing we did.
No question the GT has better brake cooling than the SL, it also carries a lot less weight than the SL65.