MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r231-190/)
-   -   PPI on 2011-12 SL63AMG - important items? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r231/732463-ppi-2011-12-sl63amg-important-items.html)

CRWSLat mb 01-09-2019 08:42 PM

PPI on 2011-12 SL63AMG - important items?

Other than the obvious:

- accident/paint work
- suspension
- function of top
- typical items

Other important items unique to these cars?

My understanding is that head bolts were not any issue after 2010

bruceeboy 01-10-2019 12:00 PM

I purchased a 2011 SL63 a few months ago and had been casually shopping for ~ 1 year, when I realized my daily driver had to go. Here's what I learned in the process:
  • There's always some SL63's listed, but it was clear I was not going to find any locally and I'd have to travel to make a purchase.
  • The majority have had multiple owners/leases - so I tried to use Carfax data to give me some assurance none had been exposed to road salt or were in an accident.
  • I found one dark gray SL63 in that time period, one owner car listed (very rare color) - it sold before I could act - dealer would not accept a deposit to hold until I could drive up the next day..
I purchased a black/black (most common color) from a small dealer 10 hours drive from my home. Before I drove up to examine it the dealer put it on a lift, shot some pics and emailed them to me. When I inspected it, there were no obvious flaws, test drive went well. Here's what I missed:
  1. RF SAM module is defective and would have shown up if I had brought along a good OBD scanner (purchased an Autel MD802 after the fact). Only apparent effect is the Distronic adaptive cruise won't stay engaged for more than 10 minutes - est replacement cost $850. It would have been difficult to interpret a lot of the scan data. There were quite a few codes - obviously hadn't been cleared for some time.
  2. Slow hydraulic steering leak - est dealer cost to replace steering rack ~ $1000.
  3. Gas spring for the center console was shot (same for the hood, which was obvious during inspection and the dealer had ordered replacements which were shipped to me after purchase).
  4. Engine mount - 1 ruptured as reported during a subsequent service at a Mercedes dealer. Recommended replacing both mounts and indicated trans mount was also worn.
  5. Front end alignment - I did not notice the very inside edge of one front tire had more wear than the rest. Local dealer spent 3 hours trying to bring alignment in spec and indicated they got close but not perfect. This is the one mystery that still concerns me a little. A different dealer advised me the SL63's are very difficult to align. This still needs sorting.
At the end of the day, I don't regret my purchase or feel I was necessarily taken advantage of. After shopping for 1 year+ I was pretty comfortable that I was paying below market price based on mileage & appearance. The items I've noted above appear to be common wear items (after all the car is 8 years old) and both Mercedes dealers that have seen the car since thought it was in great shape for a 2011. If I had knowledge of the items I missed, I might have been able to do a little more negotiating, but that's only speculation of course.