SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

SL63 Hydraulic leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL63AMG
SL63 Hydraulic leak

I have a 2009 SL63AMG and today I noticed some hydraulic fluid on the floor under the differential. I lifted the car and thought the fluid was from the differential but it is not. There is a unit of some type located above the differential that has a high pressure hose on one end of it that runs up to the trunk floor. That line looks good but there is a smaller line on the other side that appears to be pulling away and is wet and dripping a yellowish red fluid that is quite thin. Is this a suspension component or could it be a pump for the power top? Can it be accessed from the trunk? It is hard to see above the differential let alone work above it. If it can not be accessed from the top I may have to remove the differential to access it and I'm not looking forward to that! There is at least one electrical connector associated with the component and of course it is dripping with fluid.

Any insight or help anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by sundial77; 02-19-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none at this time
might be from ABC suspension/shocks
Old 03-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL63AMG
It turns out it was the fuel pump. It wasn't fun to change because there is no room to work above the differential, but I managed it. In case anyone else is changing theirs, be sure to use an extra strong pinch off tool on the supply line (large hose) such as a long nose vice grip with electrical tape on the jaws or similar. If not, you will get covered with fuel when you pull the line from the pump. I had a pair of S-K line pinch-off pliers I used and they were too weak. Really made a mess and was very dangerous. The long nose vice grips (after I covered the jaws with tape) worked great.