SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK rear bulb replacement

Old 12-13-2002, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 SLK 230
SLK rear bulb replacement

Anyone know the secret to opening the rear lamp assembly on a '98 SLK to replace bulbs? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2002, 02:50 PM

'02 SLK32 AMG
If you mean the tail lamp bulbs, you access them from INSIDE the trunk. On the passenger's side, just pop off the hardtop motor access panel (it's right behind the CD changer if you have one). You can then reach in and pull out the bulb sockets by twisting them 1/4 turn counter clockwise.

The driver's side is a bit more difficult. There is also an access panel on the driver's side for the phone module and antenna. This panel is held in place with some plastic plugs (5 or 6 of them, I think). You can see the little plastic circles on the trunk liner. You need to pop out the middle of each plug using a small flat-blade screwdriver or something similar (be careful), then the plug will slide out easily. Once all of the plugs are out, the panel will come off and you can reach the bulb sockets.

Once you're in there, I recommend coating all of the contacts on the sockets with an electrical contact corrosion inhibitor such as Ox-Gard. The SLK tail lamps are a known problem. Very frequently, the contacts corrode to the point where the socket cannot be removed from the housing and sometimes the whole assembly must be replaced.

Last edited by Brian_R170; 12-13-2002 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:04 PM

1998 SLK 230
Thanks very much! I wasn't sure if the fasteners could be popped out or whether I needed a special tool. Good advice about the ox-gard...will do! Thanks again for your reply.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:15 PM

1998 SLK 230
Additional tip: If you are replacing the rear driver's side brake light bulb (as I was), you can get to it by removing the single fastener on top near the trunk linkage (where the arms go down thru the "brushes"). Prying this aside and unscrewing the brake bulb is much easier than removing the panel and all the telephone/antenna parts...
The following users liked this post:
slkgirlygirl (07-12-2016)
Old 04-24-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003, slk230
Thats a nice tip about accessing the driver's side bulb. Here is a picture.

Last edited by boltun; 04-24-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:36 PM

SLK230
Ok, so I got to the bulb socket on Drivers side rear brake lamp is fine and the correct one (finally). I will check all my other bulbs now too to be sure they are the proper V and W...but the Q is: how do I tell if the housing socket is ok or if it is the ground wire that is bad, because the light works if I smack the lens. When I start the car, the idiot light on hte dash is out, but as soon as I hit the brake pedal, the idiot light comes on. Might it be the BRAND NEW brake switch my machanic put in a half year ago?? HELLLPPPP!!! Thanks. I love doing my own car work, but electricity issues scare the *)&^%* outta me...
Old 07-12-2016, 02:41 PM

SLK230
Here's another problem...Does anyone have detailed directions for me on how to access the microswitches on L and R sides of trunk for testing them for the rear windows to go up when closing the vario roof?? I am certain that one of the "trunk closed" switches either died or a wire has been severed...It looks like MB dropped the ball when putting in the trunk moulding as it looks like I have to support the roof to take out two T27 bolts jsut to slide the moulding out on the left trunk side!! Am I wrong?? Again, help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-17-2016, 09:23 PM

MB SLK320
Had a similar problem with my '01 SLK320, driver's side brake light out. Pulled the socket, bulb checked out OK, treated socket contacts with AL anti-corrosion stuff, put it back in and it work, for a while. Then stopped working, dash idiot light back on, and brake light still out. Pulled socket several times, cleaned contacts, now both brake lights are out (I didn't touch the other side). Anyone have any ideas???
Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM

slk 230 r170
I feel your pain, FPT. I finally gave up and ordered aftermarket (cheaper and just maybe better than the OEM assemblies) on Ebay for $275. Problems solved.