SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Need stereo help from those who know!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
Question Need stereo help from those who know!

Hi All,

Have had my 2000 SLK230 about six months...love it! However, I am asking for input from anyone who has upgraded their sound system. I am posting it here because the SLK is unique. I think the Bose is pretty good for a stock system, but I have been used to aftermarket and felt the Bose was lacking midrange and some clarity.

After reading what a lot of you have done, I just installed a new amp to run Diamond Hex S600s speakers in the front and kept the back Bose subwoofers, amp, head unit and cd changer. Now here is the problem. The clarity on the S600s is amazing! I can hear all the individual instruments and little nuances in the music...thats great! BUT, I am getting NO midrange sound or fullness. Its extreme highs and extreme lows...kinda like the Bose. ...but empty sounding, unlike the Bose.

I suspect there is a Bose EQ that is still affecting the sound. If anyone has replaced their speakers, did you have a similar problem? I've been told I would get a better sound by putting in a new head unit and I think the Clarion that someone here installed looks quite nice...I have also found a JVC with a lot of EQ settings that looks like it would blend in. Also, those of you who have replaced your head units, did you have any regrets?? I don't use the phone etc, so thats not a consideration. I don't know what direction to go next...or to just forget it and have the Bose put back in...HELP!!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.