SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: BAS/ESP Fault Light Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320, SLK230, T1N Sprinter
BAS/ESP Fault Light Problem

My 2003 230SLK w/ 43,000 miles since new.

Since almost new car occasionally would throw the BAS/ESP light, but it would always reset on the next engine start and I wouldn't see if for another year or more.

Today, it came on within 25 mi of every engine start on a long day-drive.

I have no Check Engine, and the car drives perfect normally.

I did searches and the scariest was a MB Dealership that quoted $4500 for a new wiring harness and sensors, suspecting corrosion somewhere in the system, saying doing the complete job is all they would consider.

I have a decent scanner (Autel MaxiDAS) and it gave the following DTCs:

BAS shows NO errors or DTCs, but the ESP shows:

1) C1140-128 N49 Steering angle Sensor not initialized (this was in memory, but MIL light not on for this).
I routinely disconnect my battery when the car is in disuse, so probably I didn't re-initialize properly after a re-connect. The car is only driven about 2500mi a year, so that's why I disconnect the battery.

2) C1141-8 Pressure sensor zero offset error of component B34/1 ESP Sensor 1
3) C1141-16 Pressure sensor B34/1 ESP Pressure sensor 1 and B34/2 Pressure sensor 2 Plausability Error
4) C1202 A77sl (BAS Release Sw) Plausability (I re-checked this one w/ Launch 431-X Scanner and it said to ignore this DTC)

Faults 2 and 3 said the faults were causing the MIL light to illuminate and were in memory.

The car has zero corrosion visible anywhere, and in fact may have seen rain or a wet road only a couple of times since new, and was always in a dry garage when not being driven, so extensive corrosion seems remote.

I tend to think one cause is causing this condition rather than several, but where does one start?

I don't have any workshop manuals for the car that would show specific locations of components either, unfortunately.

Any help appreciated,
Bob