SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Car Won't Start, I Am Lost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230
Car Won't Start, I Am Lost

Okay, so a little background. I bought a 1998 SLK 230 at the beginning of summer, we bought in and within the week the transmission went out. So we decided to pick up a used transmission. Installed the new one and now car won't start. Now, the car will start every once in a while but not consistently at all. The car is turning over and the battery is not dead. I have checked the MAF sensor, checked the ground cables, and checked for fuel. The car was getting fuel. I had read that pulling the battery cables for 20 mins will reset the cars computer so I did that and it started up. Then I shut it off and now it won't start again. I didn't check for spark because it must have to have spark because the car does start on some occasions. I just ordered a code reader to see but there is no emergency light. I have reset the cars computer after every change I have made just in case. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 06-23-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
1999 SLK 5.5L 6-speed, 1993 300 SE
Sounds like an immobilizer issue to me. however, if that were the case you wouldn't be getting fuel as DAS2 cuts fuel.?? unless 98's used a version that cuts ignition.

I would check your electrical connection on the transmission and make sure it is clean and tight, i have heard that to cause issues.