SLK/R171: For those of you with Entertainment Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SLK350
For those of you with Entertainment Package

Where is the subwoofer located? Is it in the trunk?

I didn't order the car with the package so I'm looking to go aftermarket. However, I have NO IDEA where I can fit a subwoofer (don't wanna make the trunk any smaller).

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
I got the Entertainment package and there are no subs. The Hardon/Kardon sound system is so good that the boom is really good. Everything in my car shakes. It is loud and it is not to the point where it gives you a headace. Go to a dealer and put a cd in, don't try the radio cause they could be getting bad reception. I was going to put a sub in my car, but the sound system had a lot of bass so I didn't do it.

You can put some subs in your doors or behind the seats in the frame, that's if you don't want them in the trunk. You have to get them custom made to fit in those spots.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Almost a Member!

'05 SLK350
under the description for the entertainment package, it states that there are subs for the harmon kardon system...
Old 03-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by dwei42
under the description for the entertainment package, it states that there are subs for the harmon kardon system...
Really, maybe there is but this is what the book says about the entertainment package:

380-watt harmon/kardon Logic7 digital surround sound system with 11 speakers and 7.1-channel amplifier. Integrated 6-disc CD changer, mounted in glove box. COMAND C-o-c-kpit Management and Data system integrating AM/FM stero/weatherband radio, in-dash single CD player, controls for CD changer and phone, and 6.5" color-LCD in-dash screen with ten mode-dependent soft keys alongside screen for easy access to commands and on-screen menus.

I got the Entertainment Package with Nav:

All items in Entertainment Package (above), plus DVD-based navigation system.

The book does not mention anything of a sub in the package, but I will say this, the car shakes and I can feel the bass. Boom Boom, and it is really nice. I would tell everyone to upgrade to the Entertainment Package. Its worth the money and its covered in your warranty. If you put subs in your car you are voiding the warranty.

( I wrote "COMAND C-o-c-kpit Management" because if I took out the dashes it would look like this "COMAND ****pit Management".

Last edited by Deuce; 03-05-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 AM

2005 SLK350
No subs, unless you count the oversized 6 1/2" midbases in the doors... never saw a claim of a subwoofer in any of my literature, but maybe I missed it...

As far as adding anything to the system, i wouldn't recommend it. As of December of 03 (when I got out of the retail stereo game) there was no way to add anything to the MB fiberoptic system. I hear they're working on an adapter that may be available any day, but it's so invasive to the whole computer system that I'd be afraid to mess with it... just a thought...

That's one of the reasons I went with the premium audio... it's so tough to add anything to the system it's just not worth the trouble.

Last edited by wil_sutton; 03-08-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 PM

2004 CLK500, 78 6.9,
"Putting subs in your car voids your warranty" must be the dumbest thing I've read thus far in these forums.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Almost a Member!

not so dumb

anyone who has used garage services knows just how slippery they can be.

if you've installed extra kit of any sort, then say, have a glitch with the COMMAND or whatever then you can bet your last dollar the garage person will suck his teeth and try to blame whatever it was you did as the reason, however spurious, for any problems.

case in point: - the SRS warning light came on in my unmodified SLK350, and what did the dealer say - "so, you've been driving at extreme speeds then".... a blatent attempt to make their problem my problem, especially irritating given the kid-glove way i drive. so whilst the warranty will not have been voided, it will certainly give the garage a whole load of leeway to wriggle out of warranty claims.

so not so dumb after all.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 AM

in the older slks, subs were put in the passenger foot well... then coverd with plexiglass so passengers didnt smash the sub.

~fk