SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Moving a SLK55 from California to Canada??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving a SLK55 from California to Canada??

I'm moving back to Canada after working in California for a couple of years. I'm thinking about moving my 2005 SLK55 back to Canada. Have anyone done this before? I have read from other places that it might require an expensive modifications in order to make it compliance to Canada safety standards??

Has anyone done this before? I would hate to part with this beautiful car....

Thanks!

RS.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, I have heard the same thing although it baffles me that the US vehicle standards are not equal or greater than Canadas. The US has usually had higher standards for cars thats why the mini and the VW bug still sold in Canada years after they stopped here.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:50 PM

2005 SLK 55
Check out this pdf on the Canadian Government web site:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...rc4140-05e.pdf

This should get you started!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:46 PM

2005 SLK 55
Here's a good link that's mentioned in the pdf.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
Old 06-28-2006, 03:12 AM

2005 SLk 350
Importing to Canada from the US

I recently imported a loaded SLK350 from the US and am finishing the process now - a month later.

Be prepared to spend about $3500 at the dealer to bring the vehicle to Canadian standards. MB Canada claims that they must:
- replace the foam inserts in both bumpers to meet Canadian standards
- reprogram the computer to enforce daytime running lights (even though this is an option you can set yourself)
- reprogram the computer to use metric (again an option you can set yourself)
- replace your instrument cluster! The claim is that the word "Brake" instead of the symbol (!) would be dangerous for a French Canadian driver!

Personally, I feel this is MB Canada's way of extracting the profit from you that they otherwise missed - but I still came out quite a bit ahead.

Be prepared to wait over 2 weeks for the above parts to arrive from Germany and expect about 2 days in the shop. MB will also insist on the vehicle being inspected by someone they bring in to confirm the work before issuing you a letter confirming it meets compliance.

Once the above is done, it is a quick stop at Canadian Tire to show all your paperwork (including a letter proving there are no outstanding recalls).

Good luck on the process!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Yeah, like any French Canadian will be driving my SLK. Besides, most of them know English.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Gotta love the internet! Thanks guys for all the good info!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:17 PM

slk55
I heard about C$3K plus to modify

...and 6.1% import duty as well?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:30 AM
Almost a Member!

ouch!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:47 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
keep the Cali registration at friend's house. drive the car in Canada. when pulled over show them CA driver's license and claim you are from US. LOL

just aside. good luck moving home.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 AM

2005 SLk 350
Taxes, fees, etc.

Yes, in addition to the GST (was 7%, is now 6%), you must pay the 6.1% import duty, and applicable provincial tax (7% in BC).

You must pay $209 to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV), and be prepared for more fees for a provincial inspection ($98 at Canadian Tire in BC).

Even with the $3500 in "remediation" that MB Canada required, the dollar exchange still makes it worth the hassle.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2006, 06:33 AM

1990 300E
Bruce of Canada - was your vehicle used? Because I thought the 6% duty doesn't apply to used vehicles.

I am thinking of bringing in a 2003 E320 or E500. I emailed MB Canada and asked about warranty issues and what has to be done. THis is the useless reply I got.

Thank you for your inquiry. Please note a US specific Mercedes-Benz 2003 E320 Sedan was not manufactured to meet Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, however it may be possible to convert this model to meet Canadian standards. The certification work requires extensive modifications and can only be carried out by an authorized Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. dealership. Generally speaking, the modifications may cost between $ 3,500 to $ 6,000, however the dealership would have further information. Once you have the complete 17-digit VIN, simply fax this along with the model year/model to our Customer Relations department at 416-425-6370. Please allow 2 business days for the letter of admissibility.

Regarding the validity of US warranty, please note only the New Car
Limited Warranty of 4 years/80,000kms (50,000 miles) is applicable in Canada - any additional warranties and/or maintenance contracts offered in the US are not applicable in Canada. Subsequently, US model Mercedes-Benz vehicles do not qualify for an extended warranty in Canada and a US extended warranty is not applicable in Canada. In addition, Emergency Roadside Assistance is payable by the customer on a US version Mercedes-Benz and the customer would have to submit their invoice directly to MBUSA for reimbursement.

Best regards,

Erin Somerville
Customer Relations Co-ordinator
Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.
smart Division Canada
email:cac@mercedes-benz.ca
1-800-387-0100
1-877-627-8004

No other manufacturer including Porsche or BMW makes you do all this stuff like speedo changes to metric and brake symbol etc. How much labor did they charge for the reprogramming for the daytime running lights and speedometer to metric? You said you can do it yourself so why couldn't you?

And what BS about that brake symbol so you have to change the whole dash. No other manufacturer makes you do that.

In Canada, MB Canada owns all the Mercedes dealerships. So they are just trying to protect their monopoly. Their prices are way too high for used cars.

I believe (and I have a good understanding of the law - I am not a lawyer), that this is a good case for unfair competition and trade practices. I suggest notifying your MP, the person in charge of RIV (tell them everything - how you have to do all the modifications at MB Canada only - no other manufacturer has this stipulation, and the Minister in charge (probably notify the Minister of Trade, and Competition).

Finally, I am sure you have a very good case of unfair trade practices and excessive charges by MB (making you change useless stuff to pad the bill). You could get a lawyer to take it on for free as this would no doubt be a class action lawsuit (which is easy to file and certify in BC). The lawsuit would no doubt be national (you would get back all and perhaps extra money you paid for the modifications). So finish of the certification and get your car registered.

Contact me, and we can talk more about the class action lawsuit if you like.