SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Supercharge or not ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55
Supercharge or not ?

I'm thinking of getting my 55 supercharged. Would like to hear pros and cons. Especially an argument against doing it. I'm sure the pro folks will post, I'd like to hear from the cons also. Yellow 55 has been experiencing one problem after another. I'm not even sure his car is running correctly yet.
Renntech, Kleemann or another ?

Rob
Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Do it! I get your CF Airbox, don't forget!

Dinko
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM

SLK 55
Originally Posted by dinko
Do it! I get your CF Airbox, don't forget!

Dinko
Don't worry Dinko, I haven't forgotten about our agreement. BTW, How do you like your CF interior pieces ? Is it worth it ?

Rob
Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
They're worth it all the way! Check your PM!

Dinko
Old 12-30-2005, 04:08 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Pro's: more power, LOTS of more power. Will give you a grin you won't forget.

Con's: very expensive. May lose warranty. Might cause reliability issues or a blown up engine.

The problem as with any engine modification, is that the original engine was built to withstand a certain amount of pressure and poweroutput. Same for the tranny, drivetrain etc... Although MB usually adds components that should easily take 10-50% extra power, we don't really know what the long term effect on the engine via such a modification will be like.

The lifetime of the engine may be shortened, and instead of living past 100,000miles without any problems, you may begin to experience issues earlier on.

Kleemann for example says that the mod is good for a considerable amount of miles and it may even last you the lifetime of the vehicle in question.

If you're the kind of person who keeps a car for less then 100,000miles/5 years, then I think you can quite safely go and do the mod. You'll have gotten rid of the car long before problems arise.

If however you're planning to keep this car for over 10 years, then I would probably think twice and go with a more concervative setup. It's up to you

p.s. I suggest you stick to very rigorous service intervals if you do go with a mod. Frequent oil changes and the like will ensure the car runs troublefree.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:13 AM
ON PROBATION

I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, Ford F350 Diesel, WV Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by Shinigami
If however you're planning to keep this car for over 10 years, then I would probably think twice and go with a more concervative setup.
What would you consider to be a 'more consertative setup' and still add some extra power?

just curious cuz I plan to do nothing to mine.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:43 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I'm not an expert on engine modifications, but anything that requires taking the engine apart in order to "up the ante" is a major modification.

The supercharger, from what I've heard, is pretty much a bolt-on affair. But it might require doing some stuff which could be delicate.

Changing the headers also requires quite a bit of tinkering, but it's an external part, and the power increase is not so large as to give any due stress to the engine (since it makes it easier for the engine to breathe, it might even cause less stress to occur on the engine then with a normal setup).

An ECU update is pretty much the simplest form of modding the engine. Maybe changing the whole exhaust setup too, but they add only very little power to the engine. Same goes for better air filters or airboxes. Those may only add a bit of power and respone to the engine, but won't require any major tuning.

I think it really depends on what one is willing to do with it. I think I wouldn't mind changing the headers myself (I've been thinking of doing it next year), but I don't think I'd go doing anything drastic like changing valves, camshafts or springs inside the engine.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 AM

SLK 55
As I have posted in the past, I have changed the headers, added a CF airbox and reflashed the ECU - all through RENNtech. You will get about 40 bhp by doing these simple mods. Supercharging the car is much more complex mod. The post mod tuning is very complex. Just ask Yellow 1. RENNtech tells me they would need the car for two weeks if I do it in Fla. Imagine using an outside tuner.

I don't know whether I am going to do it or not. We'll see.

Rob

Last edited by RSBSLK55; 12-30-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:50 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG
airbox?!

which company offers an airbox upgrade for SLK55s ? how much HP / TQ does it add?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:23 PM

SLK 55
Nishi - All my mods. were Renntech. I'm not sure of the hp gains for this alone. Check their website. You can download a pdf with the info.

Rob
Old 12-30-2005, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
supercharger + NOS.........
Old 12-30-2005, 05:16 PM

personally I think it would mess up a visually beautiful and already fast car. You're going to have to get a hood with a giant bump in it, and that 7-speed tranny is having enough trouble handling the torque the current model dishes out. Why make a 70k car look like a modded camaro?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
no need to mod hood

I don't believe with the kleeman supercharger you need to switch out the hood for clearance.

My opinion is simple, if the car isn't fast enough for you ... get the supercharger. The extra 40-50 hp from headers, chip etc don't make that big of a difference. Just keep in mind that while the supercharger might be around 12-14k you actually need to mod several other things. Ex. LSD, larger Rims(for wider tires) etc. In the future, when purchasing a vehicle, you might want to start thinking about if you want to mod or not. MIght make a difference on which vehicle you purchase.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:39 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
personally I think it would mess up a visually beautiful and already fast car. You're going to have to get a hood with a giant bump in it, and that 7-speed tranny is having enough trouble handling the torque the current model dishes out. Why make a 70k car look like a modded camaro?
You are wrong, there is no need to change the hood as a Fab-Design/Kleemann/Renntech supercharger fits on top of the engine just fine with room to spare.