SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

My Renntech Supercharger journey is long!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
My Renntech Supercharger journey is long!

Last year I picked up an '07 SLK55 with intentions of driving it a few months and moving on to something else. Life is short, and I feel the need to own as many cars as I can while I'm alive and kicking. Well, I went against my initial intention and decided to modify the SLK to drag race for the 2018 season.

Anyway, I started out by buying a new headers and a used Renntech supercharger and intercooler from fellow MBWorld forum member, Liran Machlouf , aka "sick430". He told me the kit was complete, worked perfectly, the whole nine yards. Due to his decent reputation over on here, I bought the kit and he shipped it out promptly. The kit looked fine and I started preparing it for the installation until the realization hit that I didn't want to do this outdoors during winter. At this time I had a couple projects taking up both spaces in my garage, so I decided to just farm out the basic install to a reputable guy I've worked with in the past.

Well, the kit turned out to be everything but complete and fully functional. What should have been a quick 2 week install turned into a long drawn out process due to it being incomplete. First of all the fuel rail had to be custom fabricated, which took time and a good bit of money. Also, there were a few other parts that were missing and not really called out in the installation instructions, but luckily Renntech was amazing at helping AnthonyLawshee (owner of Race IQ Performance) through the install. After everything was worked out, sourced, and eventually installed, we discovered the intercooler had a severe internal leak, which emptied the separated intercooler reservoir in an hour or less of driving.

Due to the bad intercooler, it wasn't safe for the tuner to dyno tune the car, and I was forced to drive to Atlanta and tow the car home. I was quoted $1,700 to replace the intercooler, but decided to remove it and inspect for any obvious damage. I was very fortunate that Renntech (Patrick Casey) offered to inspect and rebuild it for me as a less expensive option, which of course I was quick to accept. I shipped it to them for testing, and fortunately they were able to rebuild it for much less than the replacement cost. I should have it back next week, and at that point I'll reinstall and drive it down to Atlanta for tuning.

The video below is with the headers and supercharger before I dismantled to ship the intercooler to Renntech. I really can't emphasize enough how critical Patrick Casey at Renntech was in making this come together as smoothly as it did. He really went out of his way to help us through the install even though there was no financial motivation on his part. Most big companies would have have been slow to respond and told us to pound sand at some point, but Patrick was always there every step of the way. Great guy and a great company to work with!

Last edited by Grip Grip; 08-10-2018 at 11:47 PM.