MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SLK55 (R171) (https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171-66/)
-   -   HELP PLEASE....!!!!......SLK 55 or SLK63....? (https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171/94560-help-please-slk-55-slk63.html)

luckystar 01-11-2005 03:10 PM

HELP PLEASE....!!!!......SLK 55 or SLK63....?

Dear all,

Sorry it’s been a while since I have written have been enjoying my SLK350 that I picked up from Bremen in August 2004...!!

I have had my order in for my SLK55 since around May of last year to replace my SLK350 as the SLK55 would not be available for another year.

Since reading the posts on this and another forum speculating the possibility of an 6.3 engine to replace the 5.5 I have been trying to get some feed back from my local dealer in relation to any foundation to the rumours.

Anyways...went down to my local dealer this week to chase progress of the SLK55 order when they told me that what I had been asking them all this time was looking to be true and that the SLK63 was certainly going to make it in to production and that it would be replacing the SLK55 very soon...!!!

He went on to say that merc were only going to release 75 of the SLK55 units in 2005 this keeping the residual values very strong as they did not want to pi** off the customers who had take to SLK55 cars only for them to be up-staged by an even crazier SLK63!

To cut to the chase what I am looking for is feed back on,would forum members still look to buy the SLK55 or do they think this would be financial suicide given the imminent introduction of the SLK63 ?

Any feed back most gratefully received as I am looking to take SLK55 towards the end of March 2005.

Thanking you all in anticipation...

PS I live in the UK but would prefer to to name my source as this was said off the record...ta..

cjmegha 01-11-2005 05:16 PM

Slk63?????

I just bought a SLK55 last week, I did my research on SLK AMG model's but I never saw anything on a SLK63. Can anyone else confirm this????

Teufel 01-11-2005 06:05 PM

Please, don't remind me of my (almost) worst nightmare!:hammer: I knew long time ago that there was going to be a four valve per cylinder V8 to replace this old three valve per cylinder V8. But I think the replacement is a good two years away. The new four valve per cylinder V8 will probably showcase with the new S Class at the 2005 Frankfurt Auto Show in September at the earliest. Then it will probably take another year for the 6.3L AMG (600hp?) version to start appearing in the S,SL, CLS... (E?) Class first. I know it sucks! I am really not looking forward to that day!:hammer:

Originally Posted by cjmegha
I just bought a SLK55 last week, I did my research on SLK AMG model's but I never saw anything on a SLK63. Can anyone else confirm this????

Krovvy 01-11-2005 08:40 PM

"He went on to say that merc were only going to release 75 of the SLK55 units in 2005 this keeping the residual values very strong as they did not want to pi** off the customers who had take to SLK55 cars only for them to be up-staged by an even crazier SLK63!"

only 75? If this is true then the 55 should be the next gullwing...yahoo i'm rich!!!

cjmegha 01-11-2005 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by luckystar
Dear all,

I have had my order in for my SLK55 since around May of last year to replace my SLK350 as the SLK55 would not be available for another year.

Replace SLK350 did this model just get released? and SLK55 are available now.

SLK55_AMG 01-12-2005 06:36 AM

if it comes out , i will buy it and replace the 55 , so no problem for me , but i guess Ferrari will be my 2nd car

Schiznick 01-12-2005 07:05 AM

They have already delivered more than 75 of them in the US. How can that be right.....

amdeutsch 01-12-2005 07:35 AM

Remember where he is located and who he talked to; a stealer in his native country. Need more be said? :hammer:

steve-p 01-12-2005 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Remember where he is located and who he talked to; a stealer in his native country. Need more be said? :hammer:

Only that they have already said officially that they are building 200 for the UK market in 2005.

SLK55AMG 01-12-2005 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by steve-p
Only that they have already said officially that they are building 200 for the UK market in 2005.

Yep the thing about 75 SLKAMGs in the UK in 2005 is total rubbish....... I am number 181 on the UK list and only yesterday was contacted by my dealer to say that my build date will be June....... so assuming they don't stop delivering cars after I get mine (if I do actually decide to buy it!) there will still be another 4-5 months left in the year for even more cars to be sold..... I think the UK will get close to 300 units in 2005.

steve-p 01-12-2005 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
I think the UK will get close to 300 units in 2005.

Hope you're right, as I'm about number 250 :)

luckystar 01-12-2005 01:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies...

Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Yep the thing about 75 SLKAMGs in the UK in 2005 is total rubbish....... I am number 181 on the UK list and only yesterday was contacted by my dealer to say that my build date will be June....... so assuming they don't stop delivering cars after I get mine (if I do actually decide to buy it!) there will still be another 4-5 months left in the year for even more cars to be sold..... I think the UK will get close to 300 units in 2005.

Thanks for all the replies folks... I didn't mean to cheese anybody off by conveying what had been said to me...the word actually came from two salesmen at my local dealer..they more or less echoed each other...the vibe they were giving me was that MB UK were going to scale back the allocations at each of the dealerships there by reducing the amount of cars out there...so by doing this protecting the residual values of the SLK55 cars replaced by the SLK63 car...it does kinda make sense I guess...think I will have to play the waiting game as suggested by some of you guys...will post any more info as I get it..thanks again for your feedback.....

JohnSLK 01-13-2005 05:05 AM

The amg 63 engine is a na V8 with 500hp (not 600hp as mentioned above) and will be used in the SL but not the SLK. Why would MB want to make the SLK faster than the SL?

The SLK will get a 4 valve 5.5L with 410hp and a 4 valve 4.6L with 350hp. Not sure about the timing.

Teufel 01-13-2005 12:47 PM

I agree with you. I don't think 600+hp is possible with the normally aspirated 6.3 V8 but that is what the magazines are claiming.:rolleyes:

You are also right that the SLK55 will get a 400+hp 4 valve 5.4L? V8 in about less than two years (?). The 4.6L thing, I do not know anything about that.:y

Originally Posted by JohnSLK
The amg 63 engine is a na V8 with 500hp (not 600hp as mentioned above) and will be used in the SL but not the SLK. Why would MB want to make the SLK faster than the SL?

The SLK will get a 4 valve 5.5L with 410hp and a 4 valve 4.6L with 350hp. Not sure about the timing.

JohnSLK 01-13-2005 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Teufel
I agree with you. I don't think 600+hp is possible with the normally aspirated 6.3 V8 but that is what the magazines are claiming.:rolleyes:

At one stage MB tested the 6.3L with twin turbos and got more than 700hp and some of the mags may remember this. The 6.3L V8 will be in NA form only and will make 80hp/ltr which is pretty good for any NA engine that is expected to have nice manners aswell. The twin turbo V12 will remain the top engine.

Teufel I hope you are enjoying your car, i am envious. Think of me stuck in singapore for another year with an SLK230 (well can't complain too much as the weather is perfect for a convertiable all year round) and won't be changing cars until i move back to Oz next year.

vraa 01-13-2005 10:33 PM

I don't think it's about massive power now. The current s/c 55 is too much power for the chassis' it is being dropped into. I drove a SLK55 (non s/c) and it was the perfect blend of power for it's chassis. The only gripe I had was a few stupid ones.

Mercedes needs to wake up and realize that the horse power wars are over, and they won. It's time to start lightening up some of the AMG models and making them real handling machines. They have a chance! BMW is making ugly **** mobiles, hence, losing customers! Grab those customers up Mercedes, they are the real enthusiasts that you want AMG to have.

Teufel 01-14-2005 01:12 PM

I remember AMG had a NA 7.3L engine long time ago. That engine was awesome! I wonder what is possible if AMG made a 4V NA 7.3L V8 with the new technology, 700 hp? 800T?

Don't be "envious"! My SlK55 has been sitting in the garage for the past two weeks and will be there for at lest another two weeks! The roads are frozen and there's on and off snow. Last year we only had TWO DAYS of ice/snow!

I love Singapore, very beautiful, very upscale, very clean, friendly people (girls specially!).

Also, I am having a lot of problems with my car. One of my rims, one fog lamp and two mirror side blinkers are getting changed. I am getting some water in the car after every car wash. Brakes squeaking noises. Roof panel noises. Seat shakes. Tele Aid not working. Windshield Washer problem...... I think I got a lemon! Too bad we don't have a lemon law here in Canada, like the States!

Originally Posted by JohnSLK
At one stage MB tested the 6.3L with twin turbos and got more than 700hp and some of the mags may remember this. The 6.3L V8 will be in NA form only and will make 80hp/ltr which is pretty good for any NA engine that is expected to have nice manners aswell. The twin turbo V12 will remain the top engine.

Teufel I hope you are enjoying your car, i am envious. Think of me stuck in singapore for another year with an SLK230 (well can't complain too much as the weather is perfect for a convertiable all year round) and won't be changing cars until i move back to Oz next year.

Teufel 01-14-2005 01:20 PM

How can you say that! You can never be too thin or too powerful!:)

I totally agree with you on MB having a chance to even make a bigger dent on those ugly weak (Torque) BMWs. The only major short coming in the SLK55 is the steering. It does not complement the deadly engine, transmission, chassis...; not even close!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I don't think it's about massive power now. The current s/c 55 is too much power for the chassis' it is being dropped into. I drove a SLK55 (non s/c) and it was the perfect blend of power for it's chassis. The only gripe I had was a few stupid ones.

Mercedes needs to wake up and realize that the horse power wars are over, and they won. It's time to start lightening up some of the AMG models and making them real handling machines. They have a chance! BMW is making ugly **** mobiles, hence, losing customers! Grab those customers up Mercedes, they are the real enthusiasts that you want AMG to have.

lisamcgu 01-14-2005 02:05 PM

How can you say that! You can never be too thin or too powerful!:)

I totally agree with you on MB having a chance to even make a bigger dent on those ugly weak (Torque) BMWs. The only major short coming in the SLK55 is the steering. It does not complement the deadly engine, transmission, chassis...; not even close!

Would you let me know what you mean by the steering not complimenting the engine and such. Not having had a sportcar before, I don't know what to expect, but in my ignorant opinion, I have noticed that I have to keep very vigilant while driving fast doing lane changes, curves, etc. as the wheel seems especially sensitive. I didn't know if this lack of major resistance was a good thing or bad? Is this what you mean? Thanks.

Teufel 01-14-2005 05:33 PM

The steering is not sharp and does not give enough feed back. For example, after I turn with speed (40mph) into a corner, I have to struggle with both hands to get the steering wheel back in a straight position! Or I have to correct the steering wheel many times when I am going through a corner or worst through a 360 degrees oval. And there's not enough feed back form the road, like going over bumps or just simply communicating of what is going on!

I am not expecting the AMG steering to be as sharp, communicative and firm as a BMW M3 or Porsche but it shouldn't be that far behind neither.

Originally Posted by lisamcgu
Would you let me know what you mean by the steering not complimenting the engine and such. Not having had a sportcar before, I don't know what to expect, but in my ignorant opinion, I have noticed that I have to keep very vigilant while driving fast doing lane changes, curves, etc. as the wheel seems especially sensitive. I didn't know if this lack of major resistance was a good thing or bad? Is this what you mean? Thanks.

lisamcgu 01-14-2005 10:30 PM

Comparing steering on the SLK 55

The steering is not sharp and does not give enough feed back. For example, after I turn with speed (40mph) into a corner, I have to struggle with both hands to get the steering wheel back in a straight position! Or I have to correct the steering wheel many times when I am going through a corner or worst through a 360 degrees oval. And there's not enough feed back form the road, like going over bumps or just simply communicating of what is going on!

I am not expecting the AMG steering to be as sharp, communicative and firm as a BMW M3 or Porsche but it shouldn't be that far behind neither.

Gosh, for me its not like that at all. The steering is actually better in corners and especially coming out of them - like it drives itself. Its to the point where I'll go around a corner fast and maybe my back wheels will fishtail a little, but its kinda fun and makes me laugh because I know I barely have to move the wheel, like just giving it something to work with, for the car to, and I know this sounds weird, straighten ITSELF out.

This is not to mention going around corners, w/out reducing speed, at a 90 degree angle! Like at a left turn, I'll bullet straight out (for fun) and crank the wheel, and the car will response by turning like a complete 90 degrees, smooth, easy, no problem! One minute its going straight and presto its going left. Then, it actually seems to like it, and performs better, sure and firm, if I bullet out of it! I'm telling you, my car seems to do things a car isn't supposed to do. I think this may be the reason people in other cars just part the seas for me to pass, they are just friggin amazed watching this UFO thing. It trips me out each time I drive it.

Anyway, where I find the car needing my attn more is when driving straight fast or going around curves where its like I am going straight kinda fast, like doing that apex thing (although, of course, I would never go over the speed limit :v ). It feels a little too responsive, almost shaky (like its turning the wheel itself this way and that trying to feel things out) unless I stay focused and control my touch, and therefore the wheel, very well. Firm but easy, letting the car do most the work (in fact, its like the ultimate power steering), but still maintaining control. No oversteering allowed - that could be a big no no. Maybe I'm just so used to the car driving itself, and I have to control it more here, but I know, after a while of driving like this, I will come away a little exhausted. Its so exhilarating that I have to do it, but there is absolutely no room for error.

Its very interesting to see the differences in all our cars. I appreciate your reply. I've noticed some threads where some people are having problems with different parts of their car or they even think they have a lemon - so there definitely is a difference in each car. The car I got has just been a dream, alot less "personality" than some others out there. I feel very lucky.

Deuce 01-15-2005 04:04 PM

:zoom:

Teufel 01-17-2005 02:20 PM

I am glad you are happy with your car. That is the whole idea. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks.:zoom: But to be faire read the few "first impression rides" in the magazines and online. They all complain about the steering too!:hammer:

Originally Posted by lisamcgu
Gosh, for me its not like that at all. The steering is actually better in corners and especially coming out of them - like it drives itself. Its to the point where I'll go around a corner fast and maybe my back wheels will fishtail a little, but its kinda fun and makes me laugh because I know I barely have to move the wheel, like just giving it something to work with, for the car to, and I know this sounds weird, straighten ITSELF out.

This is not to mention going around corners, w/out reducing speed, at a 90 degree angle! Like at a left turn, I'll bullet straight out (for fun) and crank the wheel, and the car will response by turning like a complete 90 degrees, smooth, easy, no problem! One minute its going straight and presto its going left. Then, it actually seems to like it, and performs better, sure and firm, if I bullet out of it! I'm telling you, my car seems to do things a car isn't supposed to do. I think this may be the reason people in other cars just part the seas for me to pass, they are just friggin amazed watching this UFO thing. It trips me out each time I drive it.

Anyway, where I find the car needing my attn more is when driving straight fast or going around curves where its like I am going straight kinda fast, like doing that apex thing (although, of course, I would never go over the speed limit :v ). It feels a little too responsive, almost shaky (like its turning the wheel itself this way and that trying to feel things out) unless I stay focused and control my touch, and therefore the wheel, very well. Firm but easy, letting the car do most the work (in fact, its like the ultimate power steering), but still maintaining control. No oversteering allowed - that could be a big no no. Maybe I'm just so used to the car driving itself, and I have to control it more here, but I know, after a while of driving like this, I will come away a little exhausted. Its so exhilarating that I have to do it, but there is absolutely no room for error.

Its very interesting to see the differences in all our cars. I appreciate your reply. I've noticed some threads where some people are having problems with different parts of their car or they even think they have a lemon - so there definitely is a difference in each car. The car I got has just been a dream, alot less "personality" than some others out there. I feel very lucky.

lisamcgu 01-17-2005 03:10 PM

I am glad you are happy with your car. That is the whole idea. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks.:zoom: But to be faire read the few "first impression rides" in the magazines and online. They all complain about the steering too!:hammer:

They "all" complain? I haven't seen that many articles, I must admit, but of those I have, I only saw one that dissed any part of the car, and that one went all out and dissed the whole car, like the guy had a vengence thing going. Because the other articles I've read had nothing but praise and this one was so negatively biased, I disregarded it completely.

Actually, what you and some of the less aware writers may be experiencing is that ESP or EP or whatever thing the car has. I just found out more about it last night and was told I had been driving the car perfectly for how it was made to be driven. The car employs the latest technology to, indeed, drive itself to the best of its abilities and, it would seem, beyond. It gauges steering and speed and maybe some other stuff (?) and uses that information to stabilize and increase the performance of the car, like the lowering suspension which kicks in at a certain speed and such.

Once you understand you are not driving your father's Porsche or Ferrari, but a car with all the latest and greatest technology available, think spaceage, and you are willing to give up total control (although I can see why this would be harder for a man :p ), you may find yourself driving along suddenly feeling especially unburdened and worryfree. Just letting the car work for you, take care of you, aside from everything else it gives you ... well, you probably never knew you could feel unconditional love from an inanimate object :love:

JohnSLK 01-18-2005 04:06 AM

The 4.6L thing, I do not know anything about that.:y [/color]

This engine will replace the current 5.0L 3 valve V8 and sits nicely between the new 3.5L and 5.5L 4 valve engines.