SLS/R197/C197 AMG: CANCELLED SLS ORDER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
Angry CANCELLED SLS ORDER

Hi ... Anyone offer any advice.
Mercedes have told my local dealer to cancel my order as they have info that leads them to believe I have placed a speculative order for a new SLS AMG. Like anyone buying a car of this price in this climate future value is of course essential, so I have done some research ..... Gutted as I registered an interest in 2007 and placed an order as soon as they order book opened...... I feel so let down. I have been following info on the net for over 3 years, although there has been very little info until the last few months and got so excited, I cannot believe I will not be one of the lucky few to get one. .... Can they do this , do I have any rights.

I am a car dealer (of upto £20k cars) and did not hide this fact when I ordered the car. Is it because I am not some famous footballer or tv star? Wrong profile for their car ....
Old 04-17-2010, 07:48 PM

E CLASS
Originally Posted by kidstuff
Is it because I am not some famous footballer or tv star? Wrong profile for their car ....
Quite possibly so...have you ever bought any NEW Benz' from that dealer...maybe they are following in the footsteps of other super car manufacturers and have reserved their limited edition models for their valued return customers...I would ask them why though..

GL
Old 04-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
What was there reason for the cancel???
Old 04-18-2010, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Personally I think they have done you a favor!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by sound 8
Personally I think they have done you a favor!
Absolutely!! You will be able to buy one at a 50% discount in 2 years. I cancelled my order.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM

SL 500
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Absolutely!! You will be able to buy one at a 50% discount in 2 years. I cancelled my order.
My intention was to keep my SLS until the Maclaren comes out then sell it.... I would rather hope there would be little or no loss in that time period.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by kidstuff
My intention was to keep my SLS until the Maclaren comes out then sell it.... I would rather hope there would be little or no loss in that time period.
And you probably mentioned that to your stealer. Sometime, somehow, etc. You just don't remember. And guess what his thought process was with you being a stealer yourself.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
They did you a huge favor and saved you alot of money. When my uncle went looking at Ferrari he wanted a new one that cost $350,000. He now has the same car for alot less.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Mercedes doesn't want their high end cars to be resold and exported due to production numbers and pricing. They'll cancel orders if there is suspicion that the car will be resold. Weren't there some contracts that stated the owner had to have a certain car for at least a year or something?

Regardless, if you've never purchased a new MB from them in the past and you are a used car dealer, then you unfortunately fit the profile of a reseller since you have the means to do it. And if you ever mentioned that you wanted a McLaren as well, then that may have sealed the deal.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sls, e63
can understand your disappointment, but i don't see in your post where you were assigned or even promised a build slot or any firm assurance by that dealer that you would be allocated one of their sls's. with the sls being in tight supply, and there being talk that amg models will be less plentiful in general, this does not seem an unusual action on the part of mb.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
2 Years 50%???
Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 PM

SL 500
Originally Posted by russjr
can understand your disappointment, but i don't see in your post where you were assigned or even promised a build slot or any firm assurance by that dealer that you would be allocated one of their sls's. with the sls being in tight supply, and there being talk that amg models will be less plentiful in general, this does not seem an unusual action on the part of mb.
They took a £20k deposit (£1k in 2007, £9k last year and 10K in feb) and told me the car would be built in may and delivered in july...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM

SL 500
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Mercedes doesn't want their high end cars to be resold and exported due to production numbers and pricing. They'll cancel orders if there is suspicion that the car will be resold. Weren't there some contracts that stated the owner had to have a certain car for at least a year or something?

Regardless, if you've never purchased a new MB from them in the past and you are a used car dealer, then you unfortunately fit the profile of a reseller since you have the means to do it. And if you ever mentioned that you wanted a McLaren as well, then that may have sealed the deal.
Apparently the cancellation has come from Mercedes and not from the dealer who took my order. The dealer stands to lose his profit as his allocation has been reduced by 1. He genuinely appears disappointed.
A quick look on autotrader shows 2 for sale that are quite clearly speculator deals. There are others on ebay and piston heads .... i must have upset someone! Am i supposed to buy it and keep it for 5 years or something, the maclaren will be at least another year. I have been especially open about my occupation as i did not want it to cause problems at a later date, i guess i should have said i was an eccentric art dealer or something!!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I would get it in writing from MB, not just take the dealers word on it. They might have had another buyer come in off the street wanting an SLS that was willing to pay more money for the car than you and just want to get your name off the deal so they can sell it to the other guy. I hate to say it but this kind of crap happens all the time, some dealers are theives and only looking out for their best interest. MB has been taking a bath on these so called "special" cars for the past 5-6 years, the SLR was a huge flop, there are dealerships sitting with brand new two plus year old SLR inventory, the CLK Black Series (I own one) did not sell like hot cakes either and the most recent SL 65 Black Series has been a flop, my dealership offered me a brand new 65 Black Series for $85K off MSRP about a month ago. MB is not going to just take a legit buyer off the table in this current world economy. Sounds like a scam to me.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 AM

German karts
Originally Posted by jrcart
I would get it in writing from MB, not just take the dealers word on it. They might have had another buyer come in off the street wanting an SLS that was willing to pay more money for the car than you and just want to get your name off the deal so they can sell it to the other guy. I hate to say it but this kind of crap happens all the time, some dealers are theives and only looking out for their best interest. MB has been taking a bath on these so called "special" cars for the past 5-6 years, the SLR was a huge flop, there are dealerships sitting with brand new two plus year old SLR inventory, the CLK Black Series (I own one) did not sell like hot cakes either and the most recent SL 65 Black Series has been a flop, my dealership offered me a brand new 65 Black Series for $85K off MSRP about a month ago. MB is not going to just take a legit buyer off the table in this current world economy. Sounds like a scam to me.
I agree. This could be dealer trying to sell your SLS for higher price to someone else.

Or is it because you told them you want McLaren too? I think Mercedes *hates* McLaren now when they decide to build their own supercar, and it kills them that you bought their SLS just for "stepping stone" in order to wait for their nemesis' creation

Dealer : This guy told me yesterday he wants to get that McLame supercar coming in next year
Mercedes : WHA?? no way!! Cancel his order!
Dealer : bu..but how am I going to explain this to him?
Mercedes : what is his occupation?
Dealer : he is a used car dealer
Mercedes : AHA! then tell him I cancel his order on the grounds of speculation suspicion! mwahahaha *evil laugh*
Dealer : right, ok, will call him tomorrow

Yes.. i got too much time on my hands today
Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 SL63,2021 GLS63s,2021 GLA45
Well I am still waiting for mine--come September with carbon fibre interior (currently on hold in the Canadian market) At least our prices are lower than the UK

Toronto Star newspaper just announced their 10 best picks to have and hold for future escalation in price--SLS was one of them

Everyones opinion counts

JP
Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
I got to agree with jcart... mb isnt going to turn away 300k. But the dealer will turn away 300k if some one will pay 350k... Thats business it sucks but thats life.... And for all the comments about losing 50% in 2 years I dont think the sls will drop that much but it will depericiate thats what happens!!!! and for some people who
want a new car and dont mind because they want the newest thing out... some dont mind to wait 2 years and buy used... and say some cash. Two completely diffrent buyers

Last edited by hcetzneb; 04-26-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by hcetzneb
I got to agree with jcart... mb isnt going to turn away 300k. But the dealer will turn away 300k if some one will pay 350k... Thats business it sucks but thats life.... And for all the comments about losing 50% in 2 years I dont think the sls will drop that much but it will depericiate thats what happens!!!! and for some people who
want a new car and dont mind because they want the newest thing out... some dont mind to wait 2 years and buy used... and say some cash. Two completely diffrent buyers
If that was the case, wouldn't they just tell him his order was delayed? Why blow him off. Sounds like they are getting tougher on flipping. If that is the case, then this is actually good for our resale if they keep the numbers low.

Speculators car ruin the market on a car like this in a heartbeat.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuttgart-UT
2 Years 50%???
He is absolutely correct. There is no reason to believe that the sls will fare much better than any other merc for which residuals are 50% after 2 years and 25% in 4 to 5 years...

Alex

Last edited by alx; 05-14-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by alx
He is absolutely correct. There is no reason to believe that the sls will fare much better than any other merc for which residuals are 50% after 2 years and 25% in 4 to 5 years...

Alex
Time will tell. Crazier things have happened.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 PM

sls, e63
have you seen residuals on sls? exceptional for expensive cars.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
True, SLS is an incredibly cheap $0 down, 2yr lease, given its excellent residuals: ~$215K SLS is ~40% cheaper to lease than ~$215K CL65

Reminds me of cheap leases of '02 SL55 when it launched

If frugal, drive SLS for 2yrs as daily commuter and wkend car and hand back to MB for new SLS Blk for another new lease: SLS (like any new car) is a consumable, obsoleting tech device
Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Wow, that is crazy policy on Mercedes' end if true. They refuse someone's payment and commitment to purchase the car at full price because they're scared he might turn-around and sell it? I would think they would want to get rid of them so that they won't pile up at the dealer's lots as the SL65 BS did?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Question

What are the SLS residuals btw?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:00 PM

sls, e63
sls NOT 65 black or slr: they will not be languishing on dealer lots. great car, great demand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: CANCELLED SLS ORDER