SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Sitting in and out, closing door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
Sitting in and out, closing door

Would like to buy an SLS asap, but none of my dealers in Atlanta nor here in upstate NY have any SLS varieties in stock. I've located a couple for sale that are a bit out of my way for a drop-in visit.

Couple questions:

I'm a stocky 6-foot 280 pounder and am concerned about the ease of clearing those wide SLS rocker panels while getting into the drivers seat. For comparison, I'm very uncomfortable trying to draw my legs over the similarly wide rocker panels in the newer Viper GTS Coupes (partially due to the low head clearance which will be a non-issue with the SLS gull opening).

Also, since I have wide shoulders, I'm equally concerned about whether Ill have to twist my left arm & upper body uncomfortably to close the door while seated?

I had the opportunity to sit in Frank Lloyd Wright's MB Gullwing a decade ago and recall it was uncomfortable getting in and out of the drivers position too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sls, e63
i'm afraid that you might not enjoy the ingress/egress required for the sls: basically you turn and drop your butt onto the seat at the same time pivoting your legs in. once you get used to it, not especially onerous. also, the seat is fairly narrow/snug, so you should check that also. the above being said, it really is a stupendous car that is a joy to drive either in the most mundane way or really fast. and the b&o sound system is utter bliss.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
Thanks Russ.. ha! your description sounds like my sitting into the Gallardo equipped with a 1994 Porsche Speedster seat.

The good news is my local NY dealer saved me a trip to Boston, he has a pre-sold iridium silver/red SLS I can check out in 2 weeks.

-Rob