SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Magno Matte paint.. how's matte paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
Magno Matte paint.. how's matte paint?

Hi, I really like this color, as far as the photo depicts it anyway

Has anyone seen an SLS in this matte color?

What's the maintenance issues with matte paint? Touchup, future color matching, etc?

Overall, I really-really like this car's (below) scheme, rotor colors and all.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
From reading many postst from owners of matte paint it seems to be anightmare. Have to clean things such as bird droppigns off asap or will damage. even finger prints can leave marks, needs to be washed will special water, touch ups impossible needs whole panel resprays = NIGHTMARE

but looks grteat
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM

that paticular color has a brown tint to it under some light conditions. Also grossly over priced. I wanted to buy it, but they wanted over sticker and it has 800 miles on it. You know they didnt observe the break in of under 4000 RPM and under 80 mph.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 AM

Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
Are unique colors avail for the convertible only? I see the brown (non matte) on the amg build site, but unavailable on the gullwing build your own.

I agree MODOindustries, not enough price gap to not buy new but this matte color didn't appear on mbusa build your own. I too am waiting in the winds as you are, thinking to pick up a preowned gullwing after some of their owners re-buy a convertible sls.

So which 2011 color has been voted the best ?

Last edited by gocargo; 08-09-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
The matte finish is all in the clear coat, its normal metallic paint underneath. So, if you wash it too much, or with a abrasive enough sponge, cloth, etc you will begin to see "shiny spots" because you are literally polishing out the roughness of the matte clear coat. You have to remove hard water spots, bird droppings, bugs, etc immediately because, if the act of getting it on the paint doesn't alter the finish, the required polishing to remove it will.

Basically, to get the full potential out of a matte paint. You have to keep it garaged, never expose it to rain, never drive on the interstate or at a speed where you will pick up bugs, never park it anywhere outside in fear of birds, etc. I would love a matte paint, I've seen quite a few designo shades in person and they look great...but the required maintenance and care is ridiculous.

Much better off getting a 3M clear matte wrap and replacing it every 2-3 years to prevent it from integrating into the clear coat.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carac
Much better off getting a 3M clear matte wrap and replacing it every 2-3 years to prevent it from integrating into the clear coat.
i thought the same so this makes the best sense.

the current clear, satin film product has been really advanced in development & proven to be good use to give car a new finish. best part is it offers protection as well. i'm gonna say the matt finish looks cool but u don't want to deal with the maintenance. it's already scared just thinking about it. lol.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Various
The matte finish is all in the clear coat, its normal metallic paint underneath. So, if you wash it too much, or with a abrasive enough sponge, cloth, etc you will begin to see "shiny spots" because you are literally polishing out the roughness of the matte clear coat. You have to remove hard water spots, bird droppings, bugs, etc immediately because, if the act of getting it on the paint doesn't alter the finish, the required polishing to remove it will.

Basically, to get the full potential out of a matte paint. You have to keep it garaged, never expose it to rain, never drive on the interstate or at a speed where you will pick up bugs, never park it anywhere outside in fear of birds, etc. I would love a matte paint, I've seen quite a few designo shades in person and they look great...but the required maintenance and care is ridiculous.

Some great insight here, thanks.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65

This just really isn't true.

I have a Matte Silver painted car with 20,000+ miles on it. Track miles, highway miles and around town miles.

I try and wash it within a day or so after it get's rained on so that I don't get water spots.

I was told that tree sap and bird droppings can be problematic so get it off within a day or so.

Wash it with soap and water, that's it.

You can not spot repair light scratches.

The Matte finish is the clear coat and this provides a very brilliant look to the metallic paint under it in bright sunlight situations.

The car is stunning in bright sunlight and has a very gunmetal look in low light.

The finish has proven very resistant to rock chips and scratches as well as rubber from the race track.

I would easily buy another matte finish on an AMG. As long as you typically don't neglect the care of your car, you should not have any probles with it.

I honestly don't know where all this other mis-information comes from.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Schiznick
This just really isn't true.

I have a Matte Silver painted car with 20,000+ miles on it. Track miles, highway miles and around town miles.

I try and wash it within a day or so after it get's rained on so that I don't get water spots.

I was told that tree sap and bird droppings can be problematic so get it off within a day or so.

Wash it with soap and water, that's it.

You can not spot repair light scratches.

The Matte finish is the clear coat and this provides a very brilliant look to the metallic paint under it in bright sunlight situations.

The car is stunning in bright sunlight and has a very gunmetal look in low light.

The finish has proven very resistant to rock chips and scratches as well as rubber from the race track.

I would easily buy another matte finish on an AMG. As long as you typically don't neglect the care of your car, you should not have any probles with it.

I honestly don't know where all this other mis-information comes from.
Great to hear, my SLS will me Monza grey for sure.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
From reading many postst from owners of matte paint it seems to be anightmare. Have to clean things such as bird droppigns off asap or will damage. even finger prints can leave marks, needs to be washed will special water, touch ups impossible needs whole panel resprays = NIGHTMARE

but looks grteat
what does "special water" consist of???
Old 08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Special water..... no.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Hey guys, old thread, but can we get to the bottom of this?! Seems like widely diverging views on how hard matte paint is to care for!

Those who say it's a "nightmare", have you had direct experience with a factory matte finish that has been sealed?
By sealed, I mean using the Dr. Beasley, or a competitor's sealant for matte paint.

If sealed, does anyone have experience with keeping the car outside and using it in snow, rain, etc., and washing it once a month?
Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
no experience with that sealer. The matte paint is actually very very durable. The paint itself is normal paint. The matte portion is in the clear coat, which is extra thick and tough. They are simple to wash just grab a rag and some soap. To remove stubborn spots use a tooth brush. I doubt washing once a month is going to hurt anything although i havent seen anyone with matte paint that does that. Repairs to it do suck, Paint matching is very difficult and typically more than one panel will need refinished to match/blend properly. The matte clear shield is a good alternative and holds up great not getting washed frequently.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
I had matte grey on my 2013 SL550. I washed it with car shampoo. No additional care is required. I washed it with a mitt and dried it with a towel. No fuss, no muss. Just don't wax it!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55
Same here! Had Designo Magno Night paint on my 2012 C63 Edition One. I washed it with Dr. Beasley's matte car wash with a soft mitt and dried with a towel. I too was cognizant of raindrops or bird poop and made an effort to wash the car within a day or so of either getting on the paint. Looked amazing when clean!

Magno Matte paint.. how's matte paint?-8bab725b.jpg
Old 11-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series, Magno Alanite Grey
Lightbulb Magno Alanite Grey Paint

I have this finish on both of my black series (C63BSC and SLSBSC) and I love the color on both cars.

Extremely Durable paint, i don't have any nose protection on the cars and they look perfect.

I use Dr. Beasleys detailing products and a special dr Beasleys tire finish for cars with matte paint, so not to leave silicone on the paint finish. I use a special spray for bird droppings or other dirt which never really happens. Its called final finish from Dr Beasleys and comes with the full kit. You can ask Jim from Dr Beasleys more about the paint, he knows a lot.

jel@drbeasleys.com

There is only one shop qualified to paint the cars in Chicago that I know of, and another in NY, which is the Factory Paint facility.

Its a stunning finish and head turner and probably the only type of paint finish I will ever buy (Magno)

Regards,

Faraz
Old 11-05-2014, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Thanks for the comments.
Has anyone kept a Magno matte paint car outdoors year round (including in winter)?
I am not sure how it will hold up if you are not cleaning it every other day and not keeping it indoors...
Old 01-27-2018, 11:54 PM

E63S AMG Edition 1
Originally Posted by Faraz
I have this finish on both of my black series (C63BSC and SLSBSC) and I love the color on both cars.

Extremely Durable paint, i don't have any nose protection on the cars and they look perfect.

I use Dr. Beasleys detailing products and a special dr Beasleys tire finish for cars with matte paint, so not to leave silicone on the paint finish. I use a special spray for bird droppings or other dirt which never really happens. Its called final finish from Dr Beasleys and comes with the full kit. You can ask Jim from Dr Beasleys more about the paint, he knows a lot.

jel@drbeasleys.com

There is only one shop qualified to paint the cars in Chicago that I know of, and another in NY, which is the Factory Paint facility.

Its a stunning finish and head turner and probably the only type of paint finish I will ever buy (Magno)

Regards,

Faraz
Sorry to bump thread, but what's the qualified shop to paint the car in NY?! I'm looking for a body shop to paint match designo night black magno.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:12 PM

2017 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by NivlacK

Sorry to bump thread, but what's the qualified shop to paint the car in NY?! I'm looking for a body shop to paint match designo night black magno.

would also love love to hear updates from some of these folks on how things have held up on the matte.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:01 PM

Tesla P90D
Matte paint wrapped?

i am afraid of choosing matte paint for my upcoming E63s AMG because of the complexity of washing and paint care. Not sure I want to take advantage of the dealer’s free washes. Does anyone recommend a comple vinyl wrap over matte paint. Would that simplify care care?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by eanderson
i am afraid of choosing matte paint for my upcoming E63s AMG because of the complexity of washing and paint care. Not sure I want to take advantage of the dealer’s free washes. Does anyone recommend a comple vinyl wrap over matte paint. Would that simplify care care?
You could always get a good PPF shop to wrap any normal (non-matte) color with XPEL Stealth. Save some money on the paint and apply it to a protection film wrap. That way you could get matte blue, silver, black, etc. without worrying about matte paint maintenance.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:49 PM

Tesla P90D
Magno matte paint wrap

Thanks. Sounds like a good idea. Appreciate you taking me in the right direction!

You could always get a good PPF shop to wrap any normal (non-matte) color with XPEL Stealth. Save some money on the paint and apply it to a protection film wrap. That way you could get matte blue, silver, black, etc. without worrying about matte paint maintenance.
[/QUOTE]
Old 06-04-2018, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
I did full wrap a few years ago and it's still perfect

https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...clear-bra.html
Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Euros
Originally Posted by eanderson
I have done this for quite a few cars. Ends up protecting the paint and offering the owner the option of going back to the original color/finish. If something gets damaged with the wrap, it is easier to replace than repainting.