SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS AMG Tyres

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 SLS AMG Roadster '13 A200
SLS AMG Tyres

So i've had my SLS AMG Roadster for 6 months now and my traction situation is terrible, I can never just kick down or else ESP kicks in and slows me down. Its time I got myself a fresh set of rubber, I cant find anywhere online with owners reviews on the best SLS tyres. I haven't really enjoyed the Contis, and ive been looking online at the Pilot Supersports and the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa tyres and I wanted to know if any of you've changed from your Contis. Which would you say are the best? Also is it worth waiting for the Pilot Supersports 2 tyres that are debuting on the SLS Black?

Cheers guys
Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I am also facing the same dilemma. I must replace the OEM contis and I have decided to go with the Pilot Super Sports. As far as the pirelli pzero go, I had them on the C63 I used to drive and they had great initial traction but once they began to wear they werent as good, and I must say that they wore out very quickly. So, the michelins are the ones I will go with.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by 1st amg
I am also facing the same dilemma. I must replace the OEM contis and I have decided to go with the Pilot Super Sports. As far as the pirelli pzero go, I had them on the C63 I used to drive and they had great initial traction but once they began to wear they werent as good, and I must say that they wore out very quickly. So, the michelins are the ones I will go with.
exact same situation here, the contis were excellent but when they had very slight wear i have had traction issues since then. the dealership doesnt think i need new tires as the wear on the inside is very slight and i guess they go by the tread depth.
I have driven around 10,000 kms (around 6000 miles)
i may try to replace just the rear first and see if that solves the traction issue - any thoughts on this?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM

'12 SLS AMG Roadster '13 A200
I had the same situation with the contis, originally had lots of traction after 500mi on a track they've worn down. I keep reading the SLS black is going to debut the Pilot Supersport 2 tyres which are apparently very grippy so I might just hold back for those. Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The tires that the SLS Black are equipped with are very sticky but also will wear out extremely fast. They are most likely the same type of tire that the C63 Black with track package came with only that they are Dunlop and those are worn out very fast. So if you don't order two sets of rears at the same time you will likely be parking the car until you replace them. From what I read with the C Black Series owners and also the fact that I know a few personally, when they burn through the Dunlop Sportmax tire they are replacing them with the Pilot SuperSports, unless of course they are continually tracking the car, then they will stick with the Dunlop.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pilot Super Sports are now OE for the SLS in Germany.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 PM

2012 MB CLS63, 2012 Le Man Red SLS
The SLS Black series has the Michelin Pilot Sports Cup 2 tires, not the Supersport 2. The Supersport tires came out only a few years ago, so it's going to be a while until the next generation comes out!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is really built for track purposes, and the Black Edition is really built to be a track-ready car. They will wear out extremely fast compared to other ultra-high performance tires as I believe they are r-compound or similar.

There is no such a thing as a Pilot Super Sport 2 but even though I am no SLS AMG driver, I can say that after talking to a lot of experts the Pilot Super Sport by Michelin by far the best tire out there and will provide a very grippy experience across its wear life. I know a guy here at Cars & Coffee Colorado that has them on his Ferrari 458 Italia and while he drives like a maniac, he's been very happy with them. Just check out the Tire Rack reviews.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
I have run Michelins (super sport and pilot sport), Pirellis, Continentals and Hankooks on my car and the Super Sports were by far the grippiest throughout their life span

They do wear out fairly fast since it's a softer rubber which gives them more grip but with a car as heavy and with as much torque as your SLS or any V8 AMG for that matter it's as good as you can get for grip

The new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are supposed to be even more impressive and are to debut on the SLS Black Series - Press Release (PDF)

My CL55 usually goes through rear tire sets 3-4 times before the front's need replacing

Last edited by CharlestonN; 05-10-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
^ +1
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 AM

SLS AMG
Looks like the OEM contis are out of stock everywhere. tirerack doesnt them and didnt find a dealer that does. Any help ?
Continental ContiSportContact 5P (MaxPerformance Summer)
Front: 265/35ZR19
Rear: 295/30ZR20

Anyone running their SLS on Pilot Super Sports yet?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
They are OE now on the SLS GT.I'll try them out on my next tire change.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 AM

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by cls55
They are OE now on the SLS GT.I'll try them out on my next tire change.
My fronts are ok so i was hoping to find a pair of conti rear ones, but now will have to buy all 4 pilot super sport. i saw great reviews of these installed on 458, LP560 on tirerack, hope they are better than the contis
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM

03' CL55 AMG
They are

Originally Posted by suvm
My fronts are ok so i was hoping to find a pair of conti rear ones, but now will have to buy all 4 pilot super sport. i saw great reviews of these installed on 458, LP560 on tirerack, hope they are better than the contis
Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by suvm
I had the exact same problem locating two rear contis. They were sold out all across north America. So I contacted my dealer which was my last resort as they usually are much more expensive. Anyway, they found them immediately. There is a Canadian tire dealer/distributor called Atlas tire in Toronto that had 14 in stock. The only problem is that they will only deal with auto/car dealerships, so maybe have your dealer look into it for you. It sure beats buying four new tires when the fronts are sill good to go. Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Sorry, but i have to ask...

Why on earth do you own a Dodge Ram?

So out of place with your other 2 vehicle selections

I had the exact same problem locating two rear contis. They were sold out all across north America. So I contacted my dealer which was my last resort as they usually are much more expensive. Anyway, they found them immediately. There is a Canadian tire dealer/distributor called Atlas tire in Toronto that had 14 in stock. The only problem is that they will only deal with auto/car dealerships, so maybe have your dealer look into it for you. It sure beats buying four new tires when the fronts are sill good to go. Hope this helps.

Last edited by CharlestonN; 05-21-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I drive the Dodge as my daily driver, it is used for the business that I am in. I pull up to our construction sites or apartment buildings that we own/manage and it is utilized daily. Hell, I think I like trucks more than you think. They have four doors, a truck bed that once you use it for all the stuff you haul around you will never live without one, the interior is all leather with all the goodies from Nav, to amazing bluetooth features etc. They build them so that they are a mobile office. Very very convenient, oh and they pull trailers that we use as well. So, as they say, "once you own a truck you will never live with one"....and I dont think its a good idea for my workers, contractors, tenants etc to see me pull up with the space shuttle or the big German bus.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Heh, i understand the functionality part especially if you're in property development/management

You should pick up one of these G63 6x6's

Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Perfect daily driver, 6 tires means 1.5x more grip on your daily commute, especially in drivethrus. More rolling resistance means much better gas mileage on a car that wasn't even built for military applications
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM

SLS AMG
The new set of 4 will be delivered today , looking forward to test the PSS's , heard lot of positive reviews about them. Thanks for the info tho.
S
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Everyone who knows how to drive at Cars & Coffee - from the owner of an SLR McLaren to the 458 Italia drivers - swears by them, even sedan owners love them so I hope everything works out with the new set!

Let me know, I know I'm not an SLS owner but I think they make any car with decent horsepower feel a lot more like a performance machine.