SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014
View Poll Results: Which is more important? 2012 Warranty or 2011 less miles/more options?
2011 with lower miles and more optioons
50.00%
2012 with more warranty
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: I am looking to buy an SLS Gullwing. There are great examples of 2011's out there. Ca

Old 08-31-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLS
I am looking to buy an SLS Gullwing. There are great examples of 2011's out there. Ca

I am looking to buy an SLS Gullwing. There are great examples of 2011's out there. Can SLS owners give their thoughts on the importance of the warranty?

The 2011 will have about 8 months left
The 2012 will have about 1 year and 8 months left

Which should I go for? I found some GREAT looking 2011's with very low miles (2-4k) and service records. Should I not pay much attention to the year and rather other aspects? Or is the warranty so valuable that its the most important?

I just assume there isnt much that will go wrong at this point. If there were factory defects they would have shown up. Actually one that is for sale currently is a LEMON buyback, now thats a scary thought!

Any SLS owners have a huge issue?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Get the one with lower miles then buy extended warranty,that's your best bet.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
I would stay away from the lemoned car. Is it white?

I would suggest you get the car you like the most (options, color etc) and obtain an extended warranty. These cars are pretty bullet proof. My wife daily drives ours
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Mercedes SLS
Oh staying away from lemon!!! I just meant it has happened...a lemon buyback on an SLS, my girlfriend tells me the Kardashian girl drives one and her husband, scott, complained about issues about it and how it was always at the dealership
Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Yeah, there are always going to be lemons no matter what brand or marquis, that variable is always there. My neighbor picked up a brand new Bentley super sports for $300k and had nothing but headaches with the car. I've heard from other people that swear their Bentley is the most reliable thing they have ever owned.

Before I purchased my SLS I did a ton of research and found most people do not encounter any issues related to the reliability of the car. The ones that did were not devistating and easily remedied under the warranty. There is one member on our forums who has had larger issues with his cars (transmission), but still owns two SLS's last I heard. Ergo, he has not lost confidence in his cars.

Good luck and if you do pick one up make sure to get the TCU update from the dealer as it really makes a difference. I also recommend getting a tune, but that voids your warranty, so be aware
Old 09-04-2014, 08:01 PM

Mercedes SLS
I DID IT!!!

Originally Posted by ced357
Yeah, there are always going to be lemons no matter what brand or marquis, that variable is always there. My neighbor picked up a brand new Bentley super sports for $300k and had nothing but headaches with the car. I've heard from other people that swear their Bentley is the most reliable thing they have ever owned.

Before I purchased my SLS I did a ton of research and found most people do not encounter any issues related to the reliability of the car. The ones that did were not devistating and easily remedied under the warranty. There is one member on our forums who has had larger issues with his cars (transmission), but still owns two SLS's last I heard. Ergo, he has not lost confidence in his cars.

Good luck and if you do pick one up make sure to get the TCU update from the dealer as it really makes a difference. I also recommend getting a tune, but that voids your warranty, so be aware

Alright I did it!!! I LOVE this car! What a ride home! I ended up with a 2012 that is SUPER clean, looks new.

Ced357: Can you tell me what updates to do to the car? Should I take it in a request and flashes others than the TCU update? Or is it just the TCU update? Any other tips would be appreciated

Also about that update, this is my daily driver and even in C mode its a beast, will that update make it more beasty in C? I wonder if that should be a reason not to do it or am I nuts to even think that?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Congrats buddy!!! Give us the details, color, options etc. Pics too.

As for the update to the TCU. There is a thread in this forum and the private lounge that explains the details. Essentially, it smooths out the gear changes and does make it more sporty. I don't think C mode was noticeably changed, but manual and the sports mode where drastically improved. My wife commented on how smooth the transmission had become after the update. I feel it was a great improvement to the overall driving experience.

How to get it done:

If you go to your dealer and ask for the new update they will not find it in their bulletin. You have to "complain" about the jerky transmission for them to get the car updated. If I were you, I would wait until the car needs servicing so you don't go out of your way. Too bad your not on this coast, I would have you drive my car to see.

Other than that, the car is near perfect from the factory now let's see some pics!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 AM

Mercedes SLS
Angry So far so good

Congrats buddy!!! Give us the details, color, options etc. Pics too.

As for the update to the TCU. There is a thread in this forum and the private lounge that explains the details. Essentially, it smooths out the gear changes and does make it more sporty. I don't think C mode was noticeably changed, but manual and the sports mode where drastically improved. My wife commented on how smooth the transmission had become after the update. I feel it was a great improvement to the overall driving experience.

How to get it done:

If you go to your dealer and ask for the new update they will not find it in their bulletin. You have to "complain" about the jerky transmission for them to get the car updated. If I were you, I would wait until the car needs servicing so you don't go out of your way. Too bad your not on this coast, I would have you drive my car to see.

Other than that, the car is near perfect from the factory now let's see some pics!

Loving the car so far!!! So aggressive!

Already a little curb rash, oh well, its broken in! By the way, notice the last picture? I find it so funny that the backup camera is blocked by the trim at the back of the car. I would expect that on an Italian car but not German. Top Gear would have a field day if they would notice...I checked on youtube someone reviewing the car had the same issue...

But that engine sound! Wow. I LOVE THAT SOUND. The pop pop pop, makes me giggle like a schoolgirl

Specs, its only got the black inserts, other than that base model but its not like that is a bad thing I wouldn't be able to describe this car any other way then say SHOWROOM CONDITION...minus the scratch I put in the rear right rim
Attached Thumbnails I am looking to buy an SLS Gullwing. There are great examples of 2011's out there. Ca-photo-1.jpg   I am looking to buy an SLS Gullwing. There are great examples of 2011's out there. Ca-photo-3.jpg   I am looking to buy an SLS Gullwing. There are great examples of 2011's out there. Ca-photo-4.jpg  

Last edited by speedlimit; 09-05-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 AM

Mercedes SLS
Also...

According to the manual I can set the permanent setting to show temp or speed. But the speed shows up in KM not miles. I did set the previous setting to MILES so not sure why that's stuck on KM

Page 157 of the manual describes this as showing either
KM/h or mph or outside temp.

Mine is either KM/h or outside temp. Ideas?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats on your purchase,as far as the backup camera goes,I don't have this issue,have the dealer check it.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Mercedes SLS
Talking Check

Originally Posted by cls55
Congrats on your purchase,as far as the backup camera goes,I don't have this issue,have the dealer check it.

Are you sure about the camera? I looked online and I found a few images from people and it seems the camera always catches a piece of trim. Its a the top left corner of the image. Take a look for me if you have a chance. I'll be bringing it in for the flash soon but I want to verify so I can tell them its not supposed to be like that.

Also, can you try and get the cluster to shows MPH instead of KPH? At the bottom right. Its under the settings

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 PM

The car looks great!

My backup camera has the same intrusion as yours, it seems to be a standard issue. As for the KM issue, it should be easy through the command system. If you still have trouble ask your dealership to change it
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Mercedes SLS
The car looks great!

My backup camera has the same intrusion as yours, it seems to be a standard issue. As for the KM issue, it should be easy through the command system. If you still have trouble ask your dealership to change it
I have an appointment on Monday, but they said the will not flash the bios. I complained a bit but they still said no. Maybe I'll try again monday.

One more thing, he told me that the sales rep should have given me a 2 hour orientation on the SLS...ummmmm 2 HOURS?!!? Is he full of it or is that true?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 PM

2 hours? I've purchased 6 mercedes to date and have never had more than a 10 min walkthrough of all the features. I hope lunch is included in the orientation
Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
First off, congrats on the car, it really doesnt get boring, it still makes me howl on full throttle and downshifts! You really need to push the issue that the car doesnt shift in manual mode properly. Tell them that when you flip the paddle it is a really slow enganging the next gear. On downshifts it is not as bad, but tell them in upshift it is really bad. As well, complain that when in Manual mode all the time, if you flip your paddles two or three times during a downshift, it will only shift one gear. This complaint will usually trigger the service advisor to look into the star diagnostics system and will find a TSB to install the new software for the TCU. Trust me when I say this, the update will blow your mind. There was a handful of us on the AMG Private lounge who started this campaign for software update to remedy the crappy manual shifting, and with the AMG engineers on the PL they voiced our displeasure and provided us with this new update. It took about 4 months of busting b@ll$ but in the end AMG did us a big favor. Good luck!!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 PM

Mercedes SLS
I might sound like an ***...

Originally Posted by 1st amg
First off, congrats on the car, it really doesnt get boring, it still makes me howl on full throttle and downshifts! You really need to push the issue that the car doesnt shift in manual mode properly. Tell them that when you flip the paddle it is a really slow enganging the next gear. On downshifts it is not as bad, but tell them in upshift it is really bad. As well, complain that when in Manual mode all the time, if you flip your paddles two or three times during a downshift, it will only shift one gear. This complaint will usually trigger the service advisor to look into the star diagnostics system and will find a TSB to install the new software for the TCU. Trust me when I say this, the update will blow your mind. There was a handful of us on the AMG Private lounge who started this campaign for software update to remedy the crappy manual shifting, and with the AMG engineers on the PL they voiced our displeasure and provided us with this new update. It took about 4 months of busting b@ll$ but in the end AMG did us a big favor. Good luck!!

I know I might sound like a complete *** with the following statement:
If I use this as a daily driver will this update be in anyway negative?

I will be at Mercedes Beverly Hills and will request it again using your language but I just want to make sure this beast can stay SOMEWHAT calm when I need it to do so. I have noticed it's actually MORE jerky in C mode than S+

Daily driving this thing is no problem at all but I don't want to pile an update on top that will make it slightly more difficult. I'm not into track days...alas no time. BUT I will be going to Vegas in two weeks

Man I love this car btw, why does it make me grin like an idiot? I need to go to Bed and Bath and checked to find a farther store than usual. It's so Fu&:7ing fun!!!!

I LOVE the engine sounds. Just amazing

Also one more thing. AMG tips? I read the manual I have driven all sorts of cars from Porsche to Ferrari. But anything I should know about C S and S+?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
damn! looks nice, someday I'll get one.............congrats man
Old 09-09-2014, 04:54 AM

I ended up with a 2012 that is SUPER clean, looks new.