SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Choices choices need urgent advices!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 MB CLS 550 4matics
Choices choices need urgent advices!

2012 used SLS AMG or 2016 AMG GT-S ????? Planning to make a choice in the next few months to decide what to get! Both are rear wheel, both are AMG two seater sports car, love the naturally aspirated V8, but great tuning capabilities of the new turbo V8, what to do what to do!!!! Please help distinguish the two thanx and happy holidays
Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM

2013 SLS GT AMG
depending on the answers to the following questions, they should help u to decide:
1. R u planning on a convertible or a coupe?
2. If coupe, are the gull wing doors important to you?
3. Why do u think a V8 TT engine has more tuning opportunities?
4. Lastly, is owning the "current" model a deal breaker for you?

I recently went thru all the questions, except for #3 above, as I don't have need to get more hp or go any faster from this car..., and after the questions, I bought an SLS GT AMG.
Good luck and have fun shopping.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:02 PM

2013 MB CLS 550 4matics
WOW thanks

1. Coupe for sure because never had good experiences with convertibles.
2. Gullwing doors are a great looker but seems like its not good for in and out as a daily driver.
3. Just by seeing all the posts with the AMG 5.5 Turbo upgrades people are posting, should be a easy tune to get the 4.0 Turbo engines to perform all around better than the SLS.
4. My first choice is the SLS, but my budget is only a second hand and AMG GTs is brand new.

1. Hows the maintenance on the SLS cars compare to any other mercedes?
2. Whats the driving experience differences between the 2012 SLS and the 2013 SLS GT?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
It's going to be hard to distinguish the two without being able to drive the amg GT. I'm sure most people on this forum that have bought an sls recently have been in the same situation. For me, I went with the sls. There is no indication that the amg GT will be a limited car so it might turn into another SL...nothing wrong with that, but just something to consider. Made the sls jump out in my book more. As far as daily driving, I am actually shocked at how nice these are to drive daily. My daily driver was a r8 before I bought my sls a few weeks ago and to be honest the gullwing doors are much easier for me to park just about in any situation. I'm just over 6' and about 190lbs and have no issues. Trunk space is much larger and comfort of seats is comparable. Clearance is better in the sls.

Can't help you with the maintenance though, haven't took mine in yet but it seems to be nothing unusual.

What I've read from the forum, it seems the sls GT was pretty much an ecu/tcu tune over the sls but with the update available for the 11/12 sls it seems that they are very similar. Could add exhaust, headers, and additional tunes if you want more power but I think after you drive a stock sls you will be more than happy.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
The GT is a better balanced car and should be quicker around a race track even though it makes less HP. A friend of mine was just out at the AMG GT event at Thermal in california and he confirmed that the GT was much more balamced and easier to drive fast and put down consistant fast times compared to the SLS. The SLS will be more rare and collectable, the GT is going to be very mass produced from what I hear. Their sales targets for the GT in just the first two years of production will far exceed the production numbers of all SLS's ever produced between 2010 and 2015. The GT is a better looking car IMO but the gullwing doors on the SLS are awesome. I guess it also boils down to personal preference on whether you area NA guy or FI guy, turbos are fun but the sound of the SLS's big 6.2L NA V8 is amazing. My freind that was at the GT event in California said both cars sound great in their own right but he said the SLS sounded better and more aggressive at WOT. You can't go wrong with either car. I have an Edition 1 GT-S on order so I should know which one is better soon enough.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:45 PM

2013 MB CLS 550 4matics
Thanks guys for so much details! Here are few more questions and thanks in advance for everyones help

1. Extended Warranty choices?

2. What are the must get options?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
I've been quoted 6/75 for $5,100 and 7/75 for $6,100 through Mercedes. I'll purchase it soon but I still have about a year left on the factory warranty. I'm sure you can find it for cheaper through a third party but going through the manufacturer is much better imo.

Must get options...tough. I'd say all of them but the upgraded sound system. I'm sure you'll find several complaints about it. For the price, it's definitely not worth it. For a used car, try to find the highest optioned because you won't pay too much more it. I would go towards the cf parts if you had to pick. They add to the car a lot. The brakes and sound system you can upgrade after the fact for not much but I have found only a few companies offering cf parts for this car and most are charging crazy amounts.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by Tjandegi
I I'd say all of them but the upgraded sound system. I'm sure you'll find several complaints about it. For the price, it's definitely not worth it.
Though the price is high I got it in my SLSGTC. Worth it with the top down. I had it in my SL and was vey happy with it.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS AMG 12' LeMans Red
i'd go for the sls if I were you...
its the first car amg build from 0,
also the last NA before everybody's shifting to turbo...
the door is just something mb saved for 50 years before creating one since the 300sl

all in all. i am biased..
Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 PM

2013 MB CLS 550 4matics
The limited production make it more rare than most exotics, Gullwing Doors are just amazing, the NA 6.3 liter motor, crazy mean exhaust noise, and so far everyone here made it clear its the SLS.... I am sold thanks for so much great inputs!