picked up a 2011 sis - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
SLS AMG Gullwing Discuss the 2011+ SLS AMG Gullwing.

picked up a 2011 sis

Reply

 
 
Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 PM
  #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
picked up a 2011 sis

it had been a few months I was contemplating getting something new something different and I kept thinking what I wanted and I kept going back to an old school gentleman racer like a 60's ferrari or Aston, masarati and alike. well short of spending a million on an old ferrari or aston( which then I would never drive) there was really no other options that fit the bill. Then about two weeks ago it just came to me. The sis is the modern version of one of the most iconic gentlemens racer of all time and it is readily available. until tonight I had never driven one so I had no idea what it was like the only other merc I ever owned was a sl55 back in 2005-6 and I was not very impressed by that car. I can use some choice words but I will hold my tongue. The sls however is nothing like that car (of course I don't have to tell you guys that)

so after about a week of intense searching all over the net and calling everyone I knew if they can find me a car I found one in cali and purchased it last friday and to my surprise it arrived this morning. I have bought most of my cars online and out of state it usually takes over a week to get the car but this was defiantly a pleasant surprise.

picked up a 2011 sis-img_9784.jpg

picked up a 2011 sis-img_9791.jpg
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soroush For This Useful Post:
Espionage (02-16-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 PM
  #2
Super Member
 
NewportSLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 999
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
SLS AMG
Great find and welcome! Keep the pictures coming!!!
NewportSLS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:02 PM
  #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
will do, I will share most of my adventures with the new ride and thanks

also trying to figure out the streaming capabilities of the sound system I believe my car has the B&O but Im not sure how or if I can stream music using bluetooth and I have a connection port in the middle of the glove box that looks odd?? I can't find a rj45 headphone jack for connectivity anywhere either ?? any help would be great.

Last edited by soroush; 02-06-2017 at 11:24 PM.
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 PM
  #4
Member
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 240
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
'11 SLS AMG Gullwing
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
will do, I will share most of my adventures with the new ride and thanks

also trying to figure out the streaming capabilities of the sound system I believe my car has the B&O but Im not sure how or if I can stream music using bluetooth and I have a connection port in the middle of the glove box that looks odd?? I can't find a rj45 headphone jack for connectivity anywhere either ?? any help would be great.
Congrats!!! I don't think I ever heard anyone regret buying an SLS. If there was such a person, they need to get back on their meds, pronto!

You have the ultra delicious CF engine bay. Well bought!

Looks like the interior is the old-school woven brown leather seats. Is that right?

Regarding streaming...in a couple words, you can't. Not out of the box anyway. You need a $30 dongle to attach to the iPod cable in the glovebox and then you can do Bluetooth streaming from your phone. There are some threads floating around here about the right little device to use (there are many to choose from, you want the 'right' one). I think I saved it in my Amazon wishlist...I'll take a look.

Your other option is to take an old iPhone or iPod out of the closet, load it up with your favorite tunes and stick it in the glovebox connected to the accessory cable/input. That's what I did.

PS All be danged...It was in my Amazon wishlist. Turns out it's $88 bucks (not $30). This particular one is for Apple only but I'll bet they make an Android compatible device too.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Sandy Eggo; 02-06-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added link for BT streaming device.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy Eggo For This Useful Post:
Edez mb (02-08-2017), Espionage (02-16-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 AM
  #5
Member
 
Rbcj50cal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 207
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
2011 SLS AMG coupe, 1997 Yellow/Blk Hummer H1, 1967 Blue/Blk Corvette 427, 2014 SLS AMG GT roadster
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
it had been a few months I was contemplating getting something new something different and I kept thinking what I wanted and I kept going back to an old school gentleman racer like a 60's ferrari or Aston, masarati and alike. well short of spending a million on an old ferrari or aston( which then I would never drive) there was really no other options that fit the bill. Then about two weeks ago it just came to me. The sis is the modern version of one of the most iconic gentlemens racer of all time and it is readily available. until tonight I had never driven one so I had no idea what it was like the only other merc I ever owned was a sl55 back in 2005-6 and I was not very impressed by that car. I can use some choice words but I will hold my tongue. The sls however is nothing like that car (of course I don't have to tell you guys that)

so after about a week of intense searching all over the net and calling everyone I knew if they can find me a car I found one in cali and purchased it last friday and to my surprise it arrived this morning. I have bought most of my cars online and out of state it usually takes over a week to get the car but this was defiantly a pleasant surprise.

Attachment 348474

Attachment 348475
Congratulations! More pictures please.
Rbcj50cal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:37 AM
  #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
thanks guys and yes the interior is the old school brown and carbon sills and center. I will take more pics when I get a chance!

btw who can offer thoughts on lowering the car? has anyone swapped out for H&R springs? if so can you post some pics there is no adjustability with those but I know there are some adjustable sleeve type hardware you can install on the struts themselves to make the ride height adjustable anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by soroush; 02-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:57 AM
  #7
Member
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 240
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
'11 SLS AMG Gullwing
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
thanks guys and yes the interior is the old school brown and carbon sills and center. I will take more pics when I get a chance!

btw who can offer thoughts on lowering the car? has anyone swapped out for H&R springs? if so can you post some pics there is no adjustability with those but I know there are some adjustable sleeve type hardware you can install on the struts themselves to make the ride height adjustable anyone have any experience with this?
Since you have the 2011, check the build spec to see if you have the AMG Performance Suspension. That option did lower the suspension a fraction and provide more aggressive suspension setup, beefier sway bar, etc. If you don't have it, perhaps it can be added. I'd do that way before doing anything aftermarket but that's just me.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM
  #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Since you have the 2011, check the build spec to see if you have the AMG Performance Suspension. That option did lower the suspension a fraction and provide more aggressive suspension setup, beefier sway bar, etc. If you don't have it, perhaps it can be added. I'd do that way before doing anything aftermarket but that's just me.
unfortunately the car didn't come with lot of paperwork no build sheet, I didn't even get the owners manual, I wouldn't know where to begin to get the specs and although I have never driven a sis before last night the ride seemed very hard to. I wonder if there an easier way to check for the difference in suspension?
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:03 PM
  #9
Member
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 240
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
'11 SLS AMG Gullwing
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
unfortunately the car didn't come with lot of paperwork no build sheet, I didn't even get the owners manual, I wouldn't know where to begin to get the specs and although I have never driven a sis before last night the ride seemed very hard to. I wonder if there an easier way to check for the difference in suspension?
Any MB dealer can run your VIN and tell you what options the car came with.

Someone (probably NewportSLS - what a guy - posted a link regarding who you can call, or email possibly, at MB to get this information). Worth doing a search here or just wait for NewportSLS to chime in.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Eggo For This Useful Post:
soroush (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM
  #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SLS, SLR, CL63, G-Wagon
Congratulations!

I saw your car at Chequered Flag in Marina Del Rey.

I tried to buy the CF engine bay covers from the car but they refused to part with them.

Enjoy!
WLA SLS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:31 PM
  #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
Originally Posted by WLA SLS View Post
Congratulations!

I saw your car at Chequered Flag in Marina Del Rey.

I tried to buy the CF engine bay covers from the car but they refused to part with them.

Enjoy!

Im glad they did !

I went to Mb today and got the build sheet and it appears there is no completion suspension ordered

I tried to order the mb media interface plus and they said that mb does not make that any longer ?? then I asked if they had the trickle charger that uses a magnetic connector in the trunk and they showed me the regular trickle charger that is sold for all other models?? the connector didn't look like it would match up with the connector in the trunk


can anyone post a pic or a part number for the trickle charger that does connect in the trunk via a magnetic connector?
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 PM
  #12
Member
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 240
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
'11 SLS AMG Gullwing
Check these threads:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...e-charger.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...ies-trunk.html

Call a different dealer for the parts...the person you're dealing with is either stupid or lazy. Make sure they know this is for a SLS. I believe the SLS is the only model with this funky (cool) magnetic charging port.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 PM
  #13
Super Member
 
NewportSLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 999
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
SLS AMG
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
unfortunately the car didn't come with lot of paperwork no build sheet, I didn't even get the owners manual, I wouldn't know where to begin to get the specs and although I have never driven a sis before last night the ride seemed very hard to. I wonder if there an easier way to check for the difference in suspension?
Step 1 https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-gullwing/611784-options-list-mb-usa-your-sls.html

NewportSLS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:19 PM
  #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
few more pics

picked up a 2011 sis-img_9811.jpg

picked up a 2011 sis-img_9809.jpg

picked up a 2011 sis-img_9808.jpg


the ride in my car is really rough, Im wondering if it has already been lowered now? looking at pics for you guys that have one in the garage does it look about the same height as yours?? Ive seen pic where they look really jacked up and other that are closer to the wheels but never know what is stock and what is modified
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 PM
  #15
Member
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 240
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
'11 SLS AMG Gullwing
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
few more pics

the ride in my car is really rough, Im wondering if it has already been lowered now? looking at pics for you guys that have one in the garage does it look about the same height as yours?? Ive seen pic where they look really jacked up and other that are closer to the wheels but never know what is stock and what is modified
Ride height does not look out of whack.

Check the tire sizes though - e.g., that front tire looks like it is outside the wheel well which could contribute to a funky ride. Wrong sized rubber or maybe someone decided to put hub/wheel spacers on there to push the tires to the limit of the wheel wells to improve the looks (always debatable).

Maybe the tires are original (6+ years old) and just ride like crap because they need replacement. Check the date codes on sidewalls?
Sandy Eggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:35 AM
  #16
Member
 
Rbcj50cal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 207
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
2011 SLS AMG coupe, 1997 Yellow/Blk Hummer H1, 1967 Blue/Blk Corvette 427, 2014 SLS AMG GT roadster
Originally Posted by WLA SLS View Post
Congratulations!

I saw your car at Chequered Flag in Marina Del Rey.

I tried to buy the CF engine bay covers from the car but they refused to part with them.

Enjoy!
I tried to buy your CF engine bay cover as well.
Rbcj50cal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 AM
  #17
Member
 
Rbcj50cal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 207
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
2011 SLS AMG coupe, 1997 Yellow/Blk Hummer H1, 1967 Blue/Blk Corvette 427, 2014 SLS AMG GT roadster
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Check these threads:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...e-charger.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...ies-trunk.html

Call a different dealer for the parts...the person you're dealing with is either stupid or lazy. Make sure they know this is for a SLS. I believe the SLS is the only model with this funky (cool) magnetic charging port.
There are currently both parts of the trickle charger cables on eBay. Just search for these two part numbers:
A1975409405
A1975409505
Rbcj50cal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:15 AM
  #18
Super Member
 
NewportSLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 999
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
SLS AMG
Originally Posted by WLA SLS View Post
Congratulations!

I saw your car at Chequered Flag in Marina Del Rey.

I tried to buy the CF engine bay covers from the car but they refused to part with them.

Enjoy!
They have another one http://www.chequeredflag.com/8653700...s/Details.aspx
NewportSLS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:05 PM
  #19
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
yes I saw both the one I bought had more options and more miles and was cheaper since I plan on driving it a lot I wanted one that had the most depreciation I should have bought a year and half ago when they were in the 130's oh well.....
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM
  #20
Super Member
 
NewportSLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 999
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
SLS AMG
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
yes I saw both the one I bought had more options and more miles and was cheaper since I plan on driving it a lot I wanted one that had the most depreciation I should have bought a year and half ago when they were in the 130's oh well.....
i like your interior the best so does my boy

NewportSLS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 PM
  #21
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
you better watch out he is already reaching for the shifter

great pic!
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:48 PM
  #22
Super Member
 
NewportSLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 999
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
SLS AMG
Originally Posted by soroush View Post
you better watch out he is already reaching for the shifter

great pic!
Oh he is already sayin mine.. mine !
NewportSLS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 AM
  #23
Member
 
bteasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
SLS AMG
Cool car, cool garage floor. Those front wheels are definitely not original. They are sticking outside the wheel well, as was mentioned.

BUT... my car is plenty, plenty bumpy when riding - and it is original. AND I would not want it lowered as then I would scrape the front over bumps and stupid parking cement blocks even MORE often than I do now.

As an sls roadster owner said to me, "Always back in. I used to go front first and it cost me almost $3,000 to repair the damage".
bteasley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 AM
  #24
Junior Member
 
Houdini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 69
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2011 SLS Gullwing
Originally Posted by bteasley View Post
Cool car, cool garage floor. Those front wheels are definitely not original. They are sticking outside the wheel well, as was mentioned.

BUT... my car is plenty, plenty bumpy when riding - and it is original. AND I would not want it lowered as then I would scrape the front over bumps and stupid parking cement blocks even MORE often than I do now.

As an sls roadster owner said to me, "Always back in. I used to go front first and it cost me almost $3,000 to repair the damage".

I'm pretty sure they're the original 10 spoke option wheels, just painted black. I see the little AMG plaque on the outer edge of the wheel. Plus his option list on the other thread shows it came with that option, unpainted.


I don't think the car looks lowered. Although the previous owner did paint the wheels and fins, so I wouldn't put it past him/her that other things might have been modified as wheel.


On the kids note...
Houdini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 PM
  #25
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a few
yes I think they are the original wheels also and I'm about to take them off because I just realized the inner fender lips have been pulled back probably because this car had other wheels on it and or it was lowered at some point that the wheels were rubbing. however Im sure the car was modified before as mentioned the painted wheels and fins someone installed a valentine radar detector built in the mirror (very cool and usefull) looks to be a very clean install and the windows are tinted so the previous owners were not concerned to change the car. I fall in the same boat I like to modify my cars I can't leave well enough alone so I'm not worried about purchasing a slightly modified car My Ford Gt is "slightly modified" (1243 rwph)

I just picked up a second set of wheels for the car that were not painted once i get chance to put them on I will take some more pics and post I want to put slightly wider tires on those wheels as well and I will lower the car also but making sure nothing rubs again

any one use the wisetech coilovers ?
soroush is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: