SLS/R197/C197 AMG: lowered my SLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a few
lowered my SLS

hardest part was getting the rear panel removed to undo the rear shocks

for anyone who wants to know its held in place with four clips in the front and you have to pull really hard to get them to release then it is also held in the back via some tiny little extensions that need to freed up from the side panel. under, there is one connection to an antenna and oh ya you have to take one of the seats out to get the panel out of the car. then the rear speaker boxes and finally you can get to the upper rear shock mounts.

the shock removal and replacement is pretty straight forward only tricky part is if you can get the whole assembly out without having to undo the upper control arm ball joint or not, oddly enough I was able to do one of the front and rear shocks without having to break apart the upper control arm but not for all,..

took it for a spin didnt really change the way the car handles or rides at all I did put just stock shocks with H&R springs. I like it..

expect to get the SRS fault for disconnecting the seat harness Im waiting on my scan tool to reset it, the one for my audi didnt work on the SLS

upper shock mounts in the rear

front

rear
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Hey man! Thanks for the write up looks good. Take some pics outside when you can.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM

a few
Originally Posted by NewportSLS
Hey man! Thanks for the write up looks good. Take some pics outside when you can.

Thanks and will do! but first Im trying my hand at clear bra'ing the whole front clip lets see how that turns out then pics....
Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
When I first got my SLS someone was selling used H&R springs for it and when I found out how complicated it was to install I chickened out, lol. Especially, when the guy selling the springs told me the shop damaged his car while removing the passenger seat. I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm sure it looks great
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 AM

a few
Originally Posted by ced357
When I first got my SLS someone was selling used H&R springs for it and when I found out how complicated it was to install I chickened out, lol. Especially, when the guy selling the springs told me the shop damaged his car while removing the passenger seat. I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm sure it looks great

thanks! and yes that is why I try to avoid letting anyone work on my cars, especially when its something elective. I'm putting clear bra on the car currently.Im more than halfway done. I have one fender and front bumper left to do. So far the results are ok. Ill post some pics later when its all done.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 AM

a few

got both fenders and hood and mirrors wrapped, next, bumper.
The following users liked this post:
cls55 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
SLS

Great job....
Old 08-11-2017, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
DIY King! Still need outdoor shots !
Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 AM

a few
DIY King! Still need outdoor shots !
here ya go..

finally got done with the clear bra full fenders hood bumper mirrors Im thinking might as well do the rest of the car too now came out pretty good, I'm happy with it

Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 AM

a few

the bumper was the hardest out of all the other pieces but not impossible if this is your first time I suggest take your time and get used to the material I had experience with 3M before this was my first time using expel I think I like 3M better but time will tell, I hear good things about expel healing abilities.. <br/><br/>

next: carbon fiber steering wheel stay tuned...
Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Thanks! It was hard to get a feel for the height in the garage. Looks mean as Hell !!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 PM

a few
Thanks! It was hard to get a feel for the height in the garage. Looks mean as Hell !!

sure thing. I got lucky I found a set of shocks that already had the H&R springs on them on eBay and picked them up at a good price I was concerned with the fact that they are not adjustable and I wasn't sure I would like the ride height or perhaps would want to make minor adjust them, but I do like the end result, thank god... I wasn't looking to redo everything I did anytime soon, now i can actually start driving her more.

If I ever want the originals back on, I should be able to do the job in half the time but then again thats pretty much how things go when you learn on the fly.