SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Door Straps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS
Door Straps

Newbie owner here, just got my hand on a black series and love it! Can't believe I waited this long to pick one up.

One nagging problem that has seen some limited discussion on the forum here is bothering me however. Is there any truth to the fact that Mercedes made leather straps for shorter customers? I'm 5'7" and it is very difficult/awkward for me to close the door unless I grab it with my left hand and close door as I sit down in one awkward motion.

There is a link on an old thread to a third party one apparently but the website is dead.

Any thoughts from any other owners?? Perhaps another third party solution? As a kid I loved the Delorean and they all have grey straps that dangle from the door handles.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Congratulations on your purchase. Please post up some pics. A nice modified Louis Vuitton belt would work too. 😁 The strap is about the only part I haven't tried to find. Good luck in your search!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I am the same height as you and have had no problem closing the door in the 7 years I have had the car. Before putting my seat belt on I use my right hand to close the drivers door. As you extend your right arm you naturally pivot on to your left side and get more reach than if you extend your left arm straight up.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 SLS Gullwing
Congrats!
I don't think height is your issue. I'm the same height and I don't have a problem grabbing the handle with my left hand. I just do it in one quick movement. I have friends that are over 6ft and they still have a problem reaching the door, so I think it's more about technique.

Is the black series door farther out perhaps?

I'm sure you could get an upholstery shop to make you something. Shouldn't be that expensive, especially since it's black so you're not matching a difficult color.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Congrats on the sls BS!! I'm surprised you have an issue with the door as I'm the same height and don't find it out of reach. Maybe the BS seats sit lower than the standard SLS?