SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Raising sls?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
Raising sls?

Very strange thing to do but the place I'm staying over the next few months has underground parking and just barely rubs the middle of the sls. Going down is clear but coming up it has rubbed a couple times. Tried all angles and inflating tires so resorting to raising it slightly. I've called Beverly Hills MB and the service department has been pretty bad about getting me an answer. First person said no because "it comes from the factory at that height." Second person got back to me two days later and said I could lower it no problem even though I asked if it could be raised. He then said raiding it shouldn't be an issue but I asked for him to ask the tech...it's been nearly two weeks.

Does anyone know if the sls can be raised with the stock setup or will I need to purchase spacers? Not driving this car fast or tracking it while I need it is raised so not concerned about the compromises.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 SLS Gullwing
I don't think the factory spring perches are adjustable. Do you have the regular suspension or the optional "AMG performance suspension package) that's even lower? If you have the package, maybe you can swap it out for the taller non-optional setup. I think it's 0.6 inches difference.

You could probably get some sort of spacers installed between the spring perch and the actual spring, but I don't know if anyone offers a something like that in a 2 piece application to avoid having to take apart the struts. Either way, between labor, parts, and alignment, it would probably cost you more than it's worth if you're only doing it to survive a few months. IIRC, you have to take the interior apart to get to the top mounts on the rear struts.

Cheaper option is probably putting taller tires on and hope they don't rub.

I would say pay for a different place to park or drive one of your other cars for the time being.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
I would think someone makes after market shock struts that are adjustable, if the car is ever meant to do any sort of racing that sort of thing would be desired. And you do know if the ride height
is changed then the alignment needs to be changed as well.