Test Use this forum to test posting messages and pictures before posting on the actual forum. If you are a new user, this is a great place to learn how to post.

I have a strong smell of gas inside my car and outside driver's side rear passanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
I have a strong smell of gas inside my car and outside driver's side rear passanger

I have been having this issue for the past two weeks. Each time I drive the car and then stop and get out, I can smell gas from the rear part of the car on the Driver's side. Then if I let it sit for a little while, I can smell the gas inside the car.

When parked in my garage, it makes the whole garage smell.

I have a 2004 E500. I saw on this board similar issues and that there was even a recall for the Fuel Filter Module or Sender unit. 2008-020001.

I called the dealer and MB customer service and both say my VIN did not have this recall. They want me to take it in for Diagnostics at $110 an hr. But won't cover anything since it is no longer under warranty.

I did lift up the rear seat cushion as proposed on another post and saw that on the Driver's side rear , there was some gas actually in the seat cushion that had been absorbed!

I just replaced the altenator on this car two weeks ago my self, so I would like to try to save some $$$ by doing it myself since the dealer won't cover it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Last edited by nixon500; 07-06-2010 at 02:05 PM.