MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   V-Class (https://mbworld.org/forums/v-class-31/)
-   -   Vito (W639) Brake Travelling distance increased (https://mbworld.org/forums/v-class/742906-vito-w639-brake-travelling-distance-increased.html)

schris20 04-25-2019 03:19 PM

Vito (W639) Brake Travelling distance increased

Hello everyone, i am new to the group. I drive a Mercedes Vito w639 2010 and i lately noticed that the brake pedal distance has increased. I went to my mechanic and he told me that the master cylinder needed replacement. I bought a new one and he placed it on. The problem persisted after replacement and he told me that the abs pump needs replacement. I went to another mechanic and he told me that the car was leaking brake fluid from the master cylinder into the servo. I couldn’t find new ones so I bought used servo and master cylinder as one and its been replaced. The problem persisted so i bought a used abs pump but no luck unfortunately. Any opinions and help is appreciated. As for the ones they going to answer with hating comments like you shouldn’t buy used parts, better don’t lose your time. I am also against the used parts but in this case i was not able to reach new ones. Thanks

schris20 05-05-2019 03:37 AM

Problem Solved

Originally Posted by schris20 (Post 7741627)
Hello everyone, i am new to the group. I drive a Mercedes Vito w639 2010 and i lately noticed that the brake pedal distance has increased. I went to my mechanic and he told me that the master cylinder needed replacement. I bought a new one and he placed it on. The problem persisted after replacement and he told me that the abs pump needs replacement. I went to another mechanic and he told me that the car was leaking brake fluid from the master cylinder into the servo. I couldn’t find new ones so I bought used servo and master cylinder as one and its been replaced. The problem persisted so i bought a used abs pump but no luck unfortunately. Any opinions and help is appreciated. As for the ones they going to answer with hating comments like you shouldn’t buy used parts, better don’t lose your time. I am also against the used parts but in this case i was not able to reach new ones. Thanks

After master cylinder and servo replacement and abs pump replacement, i drove the car around. In couple of days the brakes started making a squeaking sound and i was braking and the car was nearly stopped. I went back to the garage to find out the the front right wheel brakes, had a brake pad stuck and worn out. When the mechanic tried to replaced them we found out that the caliper pistons were stuck. After he got the pistons out and cleaned them he put them back and problems solved. Now i order new caliper pistons and i will have them replaced. Hope this helps someone else in future.

Stephen Willis 05-18-2019 10:09 AM

Brake travel after new pads

Similar tale to start with - I changed the front pads in response to an advisory on the MOT, passed the test, and when picking up the vehicle found the travel was right down to the floor. Not exactly spongy, but given time I could get my foot down to the floor. As the brakes worked before reaching that point (and passed the MOT) I wasn't too worried. Mechanic assured me the pads were bedding in, and over the past 100-200 miles, the travel has decreased. I had feared a similar problem (master/abs etc), but I think I learned today that new pads on very old discs = long time for pads to wear down to fit discs. Looking at the discs every few days, it way very clear that when brand new the pads where only rubbing on about 50% of the disc. Presumably pushing the pedal to the floor brought the rest of the pad into contact, but took a lot more travel.