MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W210 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg-82/)
-   -   E-55 in Winter (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/228-e-55-winter.html)

Corrine 11-14-2001 10:34 PM

E-55 in Winter

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience / advice with E-55's in the winter? Is there any way to make it driveable or is it best left parked?

I need to decide whether to buy snow tires, and if so, was wondering of anyone had any suggestions as to which are best.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Corrine

Drew 11-14-2001 11:15 PM

Re: E-55 in Winter

Originally posted by Corrine
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience / advice with E-55's in the winter? Is there any way to make it driveable or is it best left parked?

Howdy Corrine ... Welcome!

Although I haven't personally driven my E55 in the snow, I've heard the stories from those who have.

I'm assuming your familiar with the 'toggle-switch' located next to the shifter, labeled 'W' & 'S' ... and you probably know that when you press the 'W', you will start-out in second gear for better traction.

Other E55 owners have stated that the combination of snow tires and traction control not only provide more than adequate control of the car, but can actually inspire a little 'spirited driving'.

The irony is: you will likely put on snow tires; and drive safely ... but its going to be some idiot who crashes into you!

Corrine 11-15-2001 12:56 AM

Thanks, Drew.

I am about to bring the new car up north and appreciate anyone's experience.

I just sold a 2000 model, and tried it once in city conditions last winter on the "W" setting, as you suggested. It was ok, but not what one would consider ideal.

I am curious to know how much difference snow tires make.

Thanks again.
Corrine

Daway 11-15-2001 02:02 AM

I'll second Drew's opinion. With a good set of winter tires and "W" mode, there is really no need to concern with E55's ability in winter conditions. This car handles!

What I have on my E55 are 235/45/17 Pirelli Winter 210 Asimmetrico tires all around with '00 E430 replica rims. They look pretty good on the car. So far I have them for two winters, never choked once. Bridgestone Blizzak tires are good choices also, but they wear out a bit faster. Some might prefer "18 tires so they don't have to spend extra money on the rims, but I think "18 are just too big for the winter and cost more. And the left over saving will be off set somewhat by the cost of mounting and dismounting the tires each spring and winter. Besides, which one would you rather replace if $#!^ happens? An AMG, or a replica?

O.K. Just my 2 Canadian cents. :cool:

Vic55 11-15-2001 02:21 AM

You might want to try posting this question in the Tire Forum. Luke@Tirerack is an expert on winter tires and sizes for all Benzes. Good luck.

PetersE55 11-15-2001 10:30 PM

Corrine,

You must have good snow tires. I have Pirelli Sno Sports for my E55 and they are great. This car is extremely well behaved in the snow, however I don't drive it too much in the Winter.

My only complaint I have is that when the engine power cuts out with the ESP on in the snow. It "feels" really weird.

Cheers,
Peter

AMGLOU 11-15-2001 11:27 PM

No need to garage E55!!!

Corrine, I own a 1999 E55 and although I have never driven this car in inclement weather yet, I have driven two separate BMW's for two winters, a 540 i sport and a 740 i sport. It is quite remarkable how well german sedans work in the snow with a good set of winter tires. My cars went through everything, outperforming even front drive cars. I had pirelli snowsports on my 740 and Bridgestone Blizzak LM22's on my 540. Both performed well in the snow. Your only desicion should be whether to use 18 or 17 inch snow tires. I have inquired into both possibilities and ultimately settled on 245/40 18 all around. These tires will fit on all four wheels even though the rear are larger than the fronts. I paid about $950.00 for a set of 4 mounted and balanced. I already have put them on my E55. This winter I am using the Dunlop winter sport M2 as these are the only tires that will fit. I have heard nothing but good things about these tires. As far as dropping to 17 inchers, that setup would cost about $2200.00 and the difference in winter traction according to tirerack is negligable. The only problem with using the 18's is the wear and tear on your beautiful 18inch AMG rims. This is a chance I am willing to take but, you'll have to decide for yourself what route to go. I can tell you one thing for sure, you definately will not need to garage your car for the winter. Hope that helps.

Corrine 11-15-2001 11:35 PM

Thank you so much for the great input -- I'm glad I found this forum!

Sounds like it is time to shop for snow tires.

Which is great, since I was vacillating, I was quasi-shopping for a winter car, only to find that NOTHING compares to the E55!

Thanks again.
Corrine

Drew 11-15-2001 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Corrine

Sounds like it is time to shop for snow tires.

Thanks again.
Corrine

Corrine,

Make sure you tap-into Luke at the 'Wheel, Tire and Suspension Forum. He's given us MBworld Members better deals on Tires than we can get locally.

Again, welcome aboard: don't be a stranger (it gets kinda thick with testosterone here at times ... and it would be nice to get a different perspective once and a while) :D

PM Luke ... he'll hook you up.

MosE55 11-16-2001 10:05 AM

Snow tires are a MUST! I got a set of Blizzak LM-22's on 17" AMG five spokes from Luke at Tire Rack. I put them on last week since I had some time but haven't seen any snow yet. The LM-22's have a higher speed rating designed for Euro performance cars and handle better when the weather is nice (less "squirmy" when cornering, etc) versus the other Blizzak tires...my sense is that the Dunlops and Pirelli's are all in the same league as LM-22's.

Although there is a noticable difference in handling (and looks if you go to 17" wheels...looks like a 430 sport), the tradeoff is worth it IMO since you have the peace of mind of not getting stuck when the first snow falls. Keep in mind that with summer performance tires, even Audi Quattro's end up in a ditch in the winter...

Happy shopping...

Y2KE320 11-17-2001 07:55 AM

Last winter I bought a set (4) of Blizzak MZ01 winter tires for my E320. With the winter mode on, traction control and these tires, the car handled great , especially on the highway when it was snow and ice covered. The Blizzaks give you the advantage of traction on ice that the other brands don't. I previously owned Pirelli P210's on a BMW and the Blizzaks are way better in my opInion.