MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W210 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg-82/)
-   -   Still interested in turbocharging your E55? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/304821-still-interested-turbocharging-your-e55.html)

Max Hughes 06-23-2009 12:50 PM

Still interested in turbocharging your E55?

First let me show you an example of an STS turbocharged m119 SL500. High compression , unevitably weaker than a m113, and it's got crappy flowing heads but yet it makes 416rwhp and 479rwtq at 7psi w/ a T67 turbo. Do you believe now? What if I told you it was built by Mongillo Motors like a year and a half ago and it's still whistlin?

Video:

https://i44.tinypic.com/335d0qw.jpg
https://i41.tinypic.com/2eg49r5.jpg
https://i39.tinypic.com/14ch6hs.jpg
https://i41.tinypic.com/4ru9m1.jpg

If you're like me you're like "hell ya" for the kit but "hell no" for the final price. Here is a scribbled up list of everypart short of air filters and a tune that gives all the resources to rear turbo your m113, even includes basic labor. Goes to show just how many pennies you can save v. buying the STS 'complete' kit and wasting money due to unused material and crazy labor charges.

Revisions:
Use a Masterpower T70 with a .68 housing(around $600) instead of the Garrett 60-1, substact around $600
I meant to say aluminzed, not stainless, welding since I used aluminized steel in my list.
Add in a $360 Turbowerx.com EXA-pump to handle oil scavenging, guaranteed not to fail and it has a 2 year warranty from them.
https://i44.tinypic.com/oq8xec.jpg

mysticblu999 06-23-2009 01:27 PM

Nice!

pinoyk20 06-23-2009 01:58 PM

nice! this things interest me

mysticblu999 06-23-2009 07:37 PM

why is the wastegate all open like that?

LeeRod80 06-23-2009 07:59 PM

Video of results?

Max Hughes 06-23-2009 09:16 PM

The results are on mongillo motors website mongillomotors.com

They ran the waste gates open because there is no reason to route them to the short down pipe, it will be no quieter and it would look weird if you were looking at the car from behind.

SleepersRock 06-24-2009 01:58 PM

Nice. Is it me or in the second video when the SL drives by, doesn't the car sound like a POD racer from the new Star Wars movies?

I would like a less ricey sound, but then for all that power who really cares?

Max Hughes 06-24-2009 04:28 PM

Video's added to the top!

Rear mount turbo's sound so much more 'whistlely' becuase the turbo blades are usually less than a foot from the exhaust exit :D I love the sound.

saintz 06-25-2009 06:23 PM

The intake charge pipe looks really low to the ground. Is that an issue? I would hate to lose that on a speed bump.

How loud is it in real life? Between open exhaust and open waste gate, all I can think is ouch. I know the turbo will quiet the exhaust a little, but a turbo charger is not anything compared to a real muffler. And open waste gate on a low pressure turbo makes me think you'd be screaming loud every time you get over half throttle. True, or no?

Fabio D 06-27-2009 03:04 PM

What t hell see my eyes!! this is real!!!???

This car are ready??? who are the owner?, damn! this is insane looks an awesome work!

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/s...amg-turbo.html

Fabio Daniel

Max Hughes 06-29-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by saintz (Post 3593387)
The intake charge pipe looks really low to the ground. Is that an issue? I would hate to lose that on a speed bump.

How loud is it in real life? Between open exhaust and open waste gate, all I can think is ouch. I know the turbo will quiet the exhaust a little, but a turbo charger is not anything compared to a real muffler. And open waste gate on a low pressure turbo makes me think you'd be screaming loud every time you get over half throttle. True, or no?

It's like driving a corvette with an aftermarket exhaust. You have that v8 rumbling hum as you cruise. If it's too loud you can add a straight through resonator before the turbo.

mandrewlt250r 06-30-2009 02:59 PM

i'm so doing this. thanks for the list of parts it will make it so much cheaper and easier KUDOS X2 :)

E420SportGT 06-30-2009 04:06 PM

do they have a dyno sheet? I wonder how much lag there is since the turbo is all the way back there.

Max Hughes 06-30-2009 04:09 PM

Did you watch the videos? There is no lag. They didn't post a dyno sheet but since their dyno is in house if you email them they might send you a print out scan of it.

E420SportGT 06-30-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Max Hughes (Post 3600594)
Did you watch the videos? There is no lag. They didn't post a dyno sheet but since their dyno is in house if you email them they might send you a print out scan of it.

yeah I did but that doesn't really tell me much since the SL already has some torque to begin with. I'll check with them as I am interested =D

Thanks for posting this.

Max Hughes 06-30-2009 04:35 PM

Actually torque has nothing to do with turbo lag. Lag comes from the turbine not getting up to speed fast enough. Since the .68 turbine housing is so small on the T70 it spools up instantly.

LCat 07-02-2009 02:37 AM

How the hell do we go about tuning thm :))))))))))))))))))))

Max Hughes 07-02-2009 12:27 PM

LET, VRP or a piggyback ECU could do the job.

mandrewlt250r 07-16-2009 01:55 AM

where do the oil lines hook up for the turbo?? is it easy to do?

Max Hughes 07-20-2009 12:02 AM

One end hooks up to the oil filter housing and the other end goes to the turbo. Takes maybe 5 minutes lol.

mandrewlt250r 08-26-2009 05:49 PM

I have a question if I want to make this and keep this my daily driver not say that you couldn't with it boosted, if you install a boost controller in the cabin and turn the boost off or really low for cruising and then turn it up high for street racing and such will the car run like s#*t if its not running the boost it was tuned/set up for?? Is there any way around that? I would want mine with adjustable boost so I can just turn it up whenever i please

BlownV8 08-26-2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mandrewlt250r (Post 3686505)
I have a question if I want to make this and keep this my daily driver not say that you couldn't with it boosted, if you install a boost controller in the cabin and turn the boost off or really low for cruising and then turn it up high for street racing and such will the car run like s#*t if its not running the boost it was tuned/set up for?? Is there any way around that? I would want mine with adjustable boost so I can just turn it up whenever i please

Why would you want to even consider doing that? The only time the engine will see boost is when you are at WOT. All the other times, the BOV will be venting to the atmosphere and your call will operate as normal. There would really be no need for a special tune unless you wanted to tune for racing gas only.

Fabio D 08-27-2009 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 3686882)
Why would you want to even consider doing that? The only time the engine will see boost is when you are at WOT. All the other times, the BOV will be venting to the atmosphere and your call will operate as normal. There would really be no need for a special tune unless you wanted to tune for racing gas only.

You really understand how works a supercharger/turbo systems my friend?? the blow off valve only works when you release the accel pedal & butterfly close.. all time you depress the accel pedal you have boost

Mandrew: Yes, you can install an electric boost controller (dual) & you can set your boost in 4 - 5 psi to daily drive (really poor) & 8 - 9 psi to road drive or more + psi if you works your machine (pistons & specialy con. roads) you can go with 12 - 15 psi.. but really is not important yu run your engine at 9 psi contant.. the control are in your brain.. if you depress WOT you have amount of boost, if you runs smothly gets slightly boost.

Hope that help

Fabo Daniel

saintz 08-27-2009 10:52 PM

A turbo has a wastegate, which is spring loaded. Most tubos I've used have an 8 pound spring, meaning no matter what you set the boost controller at, the turbo makes at least 8 pounds. It's only when the turbo is making more boost than the wastegate spring that the boost controller can do anything. So you can't really turn a turbo "off."

saintz 08-28-2009 08:43 AM

To expand a little more, there are 3 things that control your boost level: exhaust gas, wastegate, and boost controller.

When the engine isn't producing a lot of exhaust gas (low RPM, low throttle) the turbo isn't spooled up. As you start to add throttle and/or RPM, the turbo starts generating boost. Until you hit the wastegate spring pressure, the turbo's boost level is dependent on exhaust gas. After the wastegate spring pressure, the turbo is making enough boost that the boost controller can open the wastegate and drop boost back down to the wastegate spring pressure. So if you have a 8 pound wastegate spring, and a two stage electronic boost controller (EBC), you could have a street 8 psi and race 12 psi setting, just by hitting a button on the EBC.

One thing to note here is that the engine can make boost even at part throttle, so you can have a situation called PTFB (part throttle, full boost) when using a manual boost controller. This may be very difficult to tune around. Max, do you know?