W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fan

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by armaniE55
Ouch! Sorry to hear the bad news.. How fast were you going? Any pics of the accident?

Also can anyone explain the benefits of going with the Electric Mod compared to the OEM fan? Curious...

Difference/Benefits

Armani

It allows the engine to rev up much quicker similar to that of a lightweight flywheel (but obviously not as pronounced). It can improve mid range pull as well but typically the biggest gains are at higher rpms. It reduces drag on the crank and in conjunction with pulley it makes a drastic difference in the way the car behaves. If you use a curved blade fan you can decrease fan noise as well. Another major difference is the electric fan runs at full speed all the time (steady rpm, unless you have adjustable controller) where as the mechanical fan is based on rpm.

On the older E36 M3 bmws it was very popular to just delete the old mechanical fan and run lower thermostat & aux fan switch... that alone was enough to cool the car, no additional electric fan was needed. Although it never actually made much on the dyno (a few HP at most) it transformed the way the engine would rev & behave so many people like it alot.

hope that helps.
~AMS~

P.S. If anyone wants the 14" fan in stock, will let it go for only $99 + $11 shipping with the wiring harness.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
It allows the engine to rev up much quicker similar to that of a lightweight flywheel (but obviously not as pronounced). It can improve mid range pull as well but typically the biggest gains are at higher rpms. It reduces drag on the crank and in conjunction with pulley it makes a drastic difference in the way the car behaves. If you use a curved blade fan you can decrease fan noise as well. Another major difference is the electric fan runs at full speed all the time (steady rpm, unless you have adjustable controller) where as the mechanical fan is based on rpm.

On the older E36 M3 bmws it was very popular to just delete the old mechanical fan and run lower thermostat & aux fan switch... that alone was enough to cool the car, no additional electric fan was needed. Although it never actually made much on the dyno (a few HP at most) it transformed the way the engine would rev & behave so many people like it alot.

hope that helps.
~AMS~

P.S. If anyone wants the 14" fan in stock, will let it go for only $99 + $11 shipping with the wiring harness.
Yes it does... very well explained... as always....

Thanks AMS
Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Hey, I know its a super old thread. however, I am going electric after a stuck clutch fan destroyed my brand new radiator.

Anyways, I am planning on using a thermostat sensor (not the stick in prob) and so I need a place to install in. Any suggestions? Can I use the current temp sensor and just splice into it?
thanks