Multicontour seats deflating after parked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Multicontour seats deflating after parked

I've noticed my multicountour seats (seat backs/ leg area) are deflating not too long after I park the car. Pretty sure it used to hold the air for longer periods of time, but now it's deflated every time I come back to the car. I'm not too worried about it, but I really don't want my PSE pump to wear our prematurely.

Any ideas guys?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Are you hearing any leaks? Have you checked the lines or inspected the connections at the pump?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Originally Posted by eFifty5AMG
Are you hearing any leaks? Have you checked the lines or inspected the connections at the pump?
+55 on leaks.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
Have yet to check under the rear seat. I checked the front seats and didn't hear any hissing. Do any of you know if there is one line feeding both seats or are they separate ports from the pump?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 e55
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
Have yet to check under the rear seat. I checked the front seats and didn't hear any hissing. Do any of you know if there is one line feeding both seats or are they separate ports from the pump?
'

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject.. my multi contour seats do not react at all, and are not functioning. Any good places to start to sort this out? I have a back injury, so I would appreciate a little lumbar support in my life.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:19 PM

2000 e55
I'm going thru something similar, it's proving to be a real PITA, I'll let u guys know if and when I find the problem..
Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by bluechipbenz
'

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject.. my multi contour seats do not react at all, and are not functioning. Any good places to start to sort this out? I have a back injury, so I would appreciate a little lumbar support in my life.
Start at the PSE pump under the back seat seat and make sure all is connected well. Other areas include the elbow fitting under the seat, otherwise it will require surgery.

Don't feel bad, I have the same issue too. I hear the hiss from inside the seat. The bladder bags are known to leak at this age. Mine fill but leak afterwards.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
Good news and bad news. Bad news is that there is a leak and the pump cycles every 3 seconds. At this rate my pump will fry in no time. I set the seat adjustments to fully deflated and the pumped stopped cycling, so the good news is that I know that the line for the seats are leaking for sure. Now to find out where the leak is coming from. :S

Does anyone know where the line splits to both seats? I'm pretty sure there is only one line coming out of the pump to the seats and since the pump cycles when either seats are inflated, I have a good feeling it's leaking from somewhere along that line. This will probably result in most of the interior coming apart.

Last edited by desired_speeds; 03-28-2015 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:19 AM

2000 e55
Good news and bad news. Bad news is that there is a leak and the pump cycles every 3 seconds. At this rate my pump will fry in no time. I set the seat adjustments to fully deflated and the pumped stopped cycling, so the good news is that I know that the line for the seats are leaking for sure. Now to find out where the leak is coming from. :S

Does anyone know where the line splits to both seats? I'm pretty sure there is only one line coming out of the pump to the seats and since the pump cycles when either seats are inflated, I have a good feeling it's leaking from somewhere along that line. This will probably result in most of the interior coming apart.

This should help

Multicontour seats deflating after parked-603599fc-14e2-4774-9983-b35138cce3ee_zps3pl2jbmj.jpg
Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 AM

2000 e55
In my case, I believe I have two issues.

1st issue being my controllers. Yes both. There's 5 ports at the bottom of the controllers when u remove them, the offset one being the supply port.

I put a 5/16 hose to each port, and used a pump (or blow into) each port. When they're closed, no air SHOULD pass. They all do that, EXCEPT the one for the bottom cushion. Open or closed...air still leaks out. This tells me that controller is bad.

2nd issue is there's leaks on BOTH of my front seat bottom cushions..I hooked up 1/4 line once to controller was removed, to each port, therefore checking each bladder. On BOTH my front seats, the bottom cushion leaks..

In lieu of taking the seats out, and taking the leather covers off, I plugged that port on the controller itself, not allowing any air to the seat bottom bladder. I just plugged up that hole on the controller with RTV silicone..it's what I had laying around. I let it cure up for 48 hours before testing again.

So that's where I'm at now. It cured my problem, and I can use three out of the four bladders on the seat.

The system is closed, meaning if there's a leak anywhere, nothing will work properly.

One day soon, I'll get ambitious and pull the seats out, tear the cover off, and check that bottom cushion bladder. But for now I am satisfied, as these seats have never worked the entire time I've owned the vehicle, since 2012.

I went thru all the same **** you're going thru. My suggestion is pulling off that controller on the side of the seat, and testing each port on the controller and each supply line to the seat. If they all hold, then your problem is from the pump, to the seat.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:53 PM

2000 e55
Guys, let me know if there's any direction you can send me in here. My multi contours do not react to any of the controls. Note, I have read the above comments and done a search.. i'm not ignoring the leak points etc.

I checked pump, took the back seat off, put ignition to position 2, pump goes for about 25 seconds or so and stops. To make it go again, I have to turn key off for a minute or two, it won't activate again if i don't give it a rest in off position. I can't hear any leaking ANYWHERE. One thing I did notice while adjusting driver's seat multi contour controls while pump was running at the start, i could hear the drone of the pump changing pitch (just a touch, not by a lot) when opening one of the bladders. I think the lumbar support one..but not quite sure because they've never worked.

This is a puzzle it seems and any input I can get will probably save me time if anyone that's been through it has any ideas on where I should start.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:22 PM

2000 e55
Originally Posted by bluechipbenz
Guys, let me know if there's any direction you can send me in here. My multi contours do not react to any of the controls. Note, I have read the above comments and done a search.. i'm not ignoring the leak points etc.

I checked pump, took the back seat off, put ignition to position 2, pump goes for about 25 seconds or so and stops. To make it go again, I have to turn key off for a minute or two, it won't activate again if i don't give it a rest in off position. I can't hear any leaking ANYWHERE. One thing I did notice while adjusting driver's seat multi contour controls while pump was running at the start, i could hear the drone of the pump changing pitch (just a touch, not by a lot) when opening one of the bladders. I think the lumbar support one..but not quite sure because they've never worked.

This is a puzzle it seems and any input I can get will probably save me time if anyone that's been through it has any ideas on where I should start.

Did u verify the supply port (the one that feeds the seat) of the pump is putting out air?

I verified mine by unplugging the line off the pump and put a piece of 5/16 or 1/4 hose, I don't remember, and hooked it up to a gauge, making sure it was actually putting out air and that the air held. If I recall, it's only about 10psi.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:36 PM

2000 e55
If u are getting air at the pump and it holds..the next step would be to disconnect the valves on the side of the seats...the offset one is the supply. Make sure you're getting air there too. If u aren't, then your problem lies between the pump and the seat. If you ARE getting air there, then use the same pump and hose and check each bladder. Also be sure to use a pump and the hose to check each valve. When it's closed, no air should go thru.

Good luck and Lmk if I can help in any way

Note: the pump I used for checking was just a cooling system pressure pump. One used to check leaks in a cooling system on a vehicle. Like this:

http://m.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided
Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
Thanks for the responses and diagram! I had a little time to do some quick tests today. I undid the lines going into each seat individually and slipped a plug over the inlet and turned on the ignition. When the passenger seat's inlet was plugged, there was no difference and the pump was running every 3 seconds. When I plugged the drivers seat's inlet and turned on the ignition, the pump would run every 5-7 seconds. This leads me to believe there is a major leak between the pump and the seats and a smaller leak in the drivers seat. What do you guys think? I won't have time until next week before I can do more tests and I was going to pick up one of those vacuum pumps from harbor freight you recommended.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:01 PM

2000 e55
Thanks for the responses and diagram! I had a little time to do some quick tests today. I undid the lines going into each seat individually and slipped a plug over the inlet and turned on the ignition. When the passenger seat's inlet was plugged, there was no difference and the pump was running every 3 seconds. When I plugged the drivers seat's inlet and turned on the ignition, the pump would run every 5-7 seconds. This leads me to believe there is a major leak between the pump and the seats and a smaller leak in the drivers seat. What do you guys think? I won't have time until next week before I can do more tests and I was going to pick up one of those vacuum pumps from harbor freight you recommended.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but you'd have to pull both valves off both seats and plug both of the supply lines to the seats...the offset one. Remember, it's a closed system, so if you tested one at a time, I don't think it would work.

If that's what you did, then yes the leak would have to be between the pump and the seats.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:04 PM

2000 e55
I just thought about this...you may be able to rent that coolant pressure tester from autozone. You basically leave a deposit, which is what the tool costs, and you get it back once returned..so essentially it's free!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 SL55, '01 E55, '98 Acura NSX, '02 RAM 1500
My seats are dead too...

How do you remove the rear seat? I think I'll start there...
Old 03-30-2015, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by MitchB
My seats are dead too...

How do you remove the rear seat? I think I'll start there...
There are 2 levers at the corners of the seat. If you look visually you will see them. Press the lever on both sides and it it should pop up. PSE pump is behind passenger side encased in a foam box. The reverse requires you to angle the seat in pushed fully to the back and push down with a little force.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
Figured out the leaks after messing around with the controls tonight. Turns out both seat bottoms are leaking. The drivers bottom is leaking at the control and I'm hoping an o-ring or some adjustment will cure it. The passenger seat is leaking from the bladder itself under the leather next to the shifter and I'll have to take off the seat skin to fix that. Also found tube for the passenger bolsters in the seat back popped out on the passenger side. I plugged that back in and tightened all the connections down with some heavy duty zip ties.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 AM

2000 e55
Figured out the leaks after messing around with the controls tonight. Turns out both seat bottoms are leaking. The drivers bottom is leaking at the control and I'm hoping an o-ring or some adjustment will cure it. The passenger seat is leaking from the bladder itself under the leather next to the shifter and I'll have to take off the seat skin to fix that. Also found tube for the passenger bolsters in the seat back popped out on the passenger side. I plugged that back in and tightened all the connections down with some heavy duty zip ties.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Good job man! Let me know when u take that seat apart, I'll have to do the same to mine..maybe take some pics please?:grin:

It'll be a nice thread to refer back to for us and new members, as it seems everyone has a problem with these seats.

For the o-ring, try white lithium grease.