MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W210 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg-82/)
-   -   Brake Pad of Choice (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/600786-brake-pad-choice.html)

Swiftmotoring 09-26-2015 12:17 PM

Brake Pad of Choice

While getting my E55 aligned yesterday I noticed I needed new front brake pads. Is it OK to replace the pads and not the rotors if the rotor thickness is in spec? What pad do you like? Mine are stock and very messy, also have more brake pedal travel than I like so I may bleed the brakes when I install the pads. Thanks for your input.

Solo wing 09-26-2015 05:01 PM

When i bought the car i didn't like the brake feel, so I installed SS brake lines from StopTech and replaced the fluid ---> less travel and feels snappier.
I'm using Meyle semi-metallic pads with RacingBrake rotors, dust is far less than stock and looks bright brownish.
I believe there are better ceramic pads with even less/bright dust. Sadly i can't use ceramic pads with the rotors :(

As for installing new pads on old rotors, if it's still within acceptable spec, I see no problem in it.

cm60k 09-26-2015 06:29 PM

+1,

Also, you have to measure Rotors thickness, if they less than (30mm), means new pads will be useless,

prefer to change them at the same time, you can go with alternative Rotors during to the high cost of stock Rotors,(which i believe not it's worth it)..:confused:

ZAYED,,

Schweinhund 09-27-2015 01:58 PM

Best stock feel pad IMHO is by Jurid. Light pedal effort and quiet.

benzokirk 09-28-2015 01:25 PM

I'm running Akebono ceramics right now, and they're my pad of choice

ddb 09-28-2015 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by benzokirk (Post 6569233)
I'm running Akebono ceramics right now, and they're my pad of choice

Me too. They probably don't work as efficiently as OE or OE equivalent pads, but they are close enough for me. They are soooooooo much cleaner than OE pads.

benzokirk 09-29-2015 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by ddb (Post 6569478)
Me too. They probably don't work as efficiently as OE or OE equivalent pads, but they are close enough for me. They are soooooooo much cleaner than OE pads.

That's what I like most about them, over OEM pads :y

Swiftmotoring 09-29-2015 11:24 AM

Thanks for the advice...I am leaning towards Jurid pads and OEM rotors along with new brake fluid...hopefully this will improve pedal feel and travel.

Schweinhund 09-29-2015 12:19 PM

OE pads do dirty up the rim BUT I started using Armor All Wheel Protectant and it works really well. Keeps my rims very clean and when they do finally dust up a little, I use a spray bottle with water and rag. Takes 60 seconds for all four wheels.

pjdough 09-29-2015 01:02 PM

I haven't had to replace my 55 pads in a while; however, earlier this year I replaced my SL65's OE pads with EBC Redstuff ceramics. Stopping power increased significantly. Fade and dust also reduced - dust is way down from OE pads.

I'll use them on the 55 when I need to replace... :y

ProjectC55 10-11-2015 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by pjdough (Post 6570236)
I haven't had to replace my 55 pads in a while; however, earlier this year I replaced my SL65's OE pads with EBC Redstuff ceramics. Stopping power increased significantly. Fade and dust also reduced - dust is way down from OE pads.

I'll use them on the 55 when I need to replace... :y

I have the red ebc pads waiting to go on:zoom:

ProjectC55 10-11-2015 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by cm60k (Post 6568007)
+1,

Also, you have to measure Rotors thickness, if they less than (30mm), means new pads will be useless,

prefer to change them at the same time, you can go with alternative Rotors during to the high cost of stock Rotors,(which i believe not it's worth it)..:confused:

ZAYED,,

Zayed I have to agree with you on the ridiculous price of the stock rotors. Which ones do you recommend?

cm60k 10-11-2015 06:24 PM

Depend of your choice Carl,

you can go with OEM drilled or slotted Rotors, on both, you have to re-drilled hole in the Rotors for small retaining screw, but it's not necessary, i used mine with out that retaining screw..:)

ZAYED,,

Swiftmotoring 10-12-2015 10:47 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone used Hawk pads?

vshahid 09-02-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Swiftmotoring (Post 6581857)
Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone used Hawk pads?

I use Hawk Performance brake parts exclusively. I used to think the Merc OE are the best, but ever since I moved to Hawk on my R class i noticed a Significant (stress significant) improvement in feel and stopping power and control (as in progressively more braking on additional pedal pressure) ever since I started using Hawk. I have since then made it a policy to dump OE pads on any new car I buy and immidiately replace them with Hawk. I did that on a Toyota sienna and noticed a similar significant improvement in stopping behavior on that car too. Additionally they produce a LOT LESS dust. On a GL450 there was a minor improvement from OE. Hawk is a USA made brand and I once worked for the company that owns that brand, I got my first pad set at employee prices, that is the only reason I tried non OE for the first time. I am so glad I tried and even though I don't work for them. I will always buy that brand. (Also I know they can use the extra sales as most US manufacturers of such parts are struggling).

happyeds 01-17-2019 01:51 PM

I noticed you have or had an E550. Did you have the Hawk pads on that setup? If you did which ones the HP+ or the HP 5.0? I'm trying to decide for my 2014 E550. Thanks

GregScheller 03-15-2019 05:47 PM

Akebono & Zimmerman

Don't have anything to compare them to buti I love them and did I mention
....... NO brake dust

I can compare them to OEM

Most brake dust I've ever seen.
They'd be dirty within one day.

Mr. Chris 03-30-2019 08:37 PM

Akebono / Zimmerman

Originally Posted by GregScheller (Post 7706509)
Don't have anything to compare them to buti I love them and did I mention
....... NO brake dust

I can compare them to OEM

Most brake dust I've ever seen.
They'd be dirty within one day.

I'll second this setup. Love it.

Zero dust, pretty good feel for a long-life/Low dust pad, and rotors are coated for rust protection. IMO this setup is hard to beat for DD duty.

GregScheller 04-20-2019 11:35 PM

Okebono & Zimmerman rotors

Very happy with them

Gazwould 04-21-2019 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectC55 (Post 6581095)
I have the red ebc pads waiting to go on:zoom:

Same here , it'll be the 3rd car with a full set .

quik55 04-25-2019 04:54 PM

Zimmerman rotors OEM from FCP euro (Lifetime warranty) Hawk HPS Pads upfront Phantom Series Stainless lines and full MB fluid flush... Biggest brake upgrade i actually did was tighten my wheel bearings.
Brembo rotors and ceramic brembo pads in the back, less dust but squeal in reverse. BUT in my honest opinion the rotors that give the BEST bite are R1 Concept Slotted. Match those with some Hawk HPS pads and youre good to go. Ran then on my '05 cobalt SS back in the day, as well as just put a set on my buddies 450WHP bmw 435 and feel exactly the same...GREAT!