MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W210 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg-82/)
-   -   Rear subframe bushing replacement question? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/605087-rear-subframe-bushing-replacement-question.html)

turbo1k 11-05-2015 07:11 PM

Rear subframe bushing replacement question?

I was doing the lower control arm bushings on the drivers rear and figured I'd do the rear subframe bushings while I was there. I have a jack stand under the control arm and I removed the 2 bolts holding the subframe and jacked it up. It doesn't dropped more than an inch. The shock and sway bar are also disconnected. Am I missing something, everything I've read doesn't mention any other bolts.

Steve

Solo wing 11-06-2015 01:01 AM

Maybe this'll help:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...-bushings.html

turbo1k 11-06-2015 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Solo wing (Post 6606064)

That is one that I had already read. It's the exact way I attempted mine but it does not separate more than an inch.

Thanks for the response. :y

Steve

ddb 11-06-2015 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by turbo1k (Post 6606166)
That is one that I had already read. It's the exact way I attempted mine but it does not separate more than an inch.

Thanks for the response. :y

Steve

Steve - when I changed mine, I too didn't get the needed separation to remove/install the bushings. I could force open enough space using both hands, but then couldn't do anything else since I was working alone. I didn't document it in my DIY, but I used a small scissor jack to force open and hold the needed separation to do the R&R.

Hope this helps,

ddb

turbo1k 11-07-2015 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ddb (Post 6606799)
Steve - when I changed mine, I too didn't get the needed separation to remove/install the bushings. I could force open enough space using both hands, but then couldn't do anything else since I was working alone. I didn't document it in my DIY, but I used a small scissor jack to force open and hold the needed separation to do the R&R.

Hope this helps,

ddb

The gap was just to small so I decided to try the other side to see what happen and worse case I'd lower the subframe in one piece. After undoing the mounts it lowered 6-7 inches and the opposite side was still stuck. The subframe wouldn't drop down. Plan B, took a ride to work grabbed the 4ton porter power. After changing the side that dropped down I started on the stuck rear mount. I placed the rod in the lower control arm and put a piece of steel across the upper spring mount and slowly applied pressure while I was spraying the mount with PB blaster. After a Big Bang it came loose, can't believe that the rust build up was that bad. I decided to put a bead a silicon around the mount so no debris would get in there so the next time I change them in another 230k it will be much easier. Hope this helps anybody that also has the same problem.

Steve

PBE55 05-01-2019 02:17 PM

Great info

I've been strongly considering changing my rear subframe bushings for a couple of months now, and I'm kind of surprised that I hadn't found this thread earlier. I've even posted my own thread trying to solicit information. What I'd really like to do is completely remove the entire subframe and change out all bushings, but I dont want to get in over my head. You mentioned that you wish that you would've had the bushing removal at the start. Is there anything else that you would've done to save time?
Thanks
Patrick

kilbus 09-21-2021 10:04 AM

Ever complete this? About to tackle mine.

Originally Posted by PBE55 (Post 7746060)
I've been strongly considering changing my rear subframe bushings for a couple of months now, and I'm kind of surprised that I hadn't found this thread earlier. I've even posted my own thread trying to solicit information. What I'd really like to do is completely remove the entire subframe and change out all bushings, but I dont want to get in over my head. You mentioned that you wish that you would've had the bushing removal at the start. Is there anything else that you would've done to save time?
Thanks
Patrick

I'm down in Greenville SC, I'm about to tackle the rear subframe out in the driveway. Was wondering if you had success and if you had made a DIY tool?

PBE55 09-21-2021 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by kilbus (Post 8422103)
I'm down in Greenville SC, I'm about to tackle the rear subframe out in the driveway. Was wondering if you had success and if you had made a DIY tool?

I wound up hiring someone to do the job for me. We rented a bushing removal tool that shipped from Washington state if I'm not mistaken. I can try to dig through emails and find the vendor contact info if you would like. Just let me know.

kilbus 09-21-2021 11:44 AM

rental tool would be perfect

thank you for responding!
I'm currently on ebay.de searching "w210, achskörper busche werkzeug" so that would be amazing if you knew who to rent the tool from!
I saw a guy online made one from some bar stock, PVC pipe and nuts and bolts, I was gonna go that route if I cant find a rental or used tool for sale.

Originally Posted by PBE55 (Post 8422168)
I wound up hiring someone to do the job for me. We rented a bushing removal tool that shipped from Washington state if I'm not mistaken. I can try to dig through emails and find the vendor contact info if you would like. Just let me know.

PBE55 09-21-2021 11:54 AM

Bushing removal tool

I rented the tool from creative steel. My car is a W211, so they should have something for the W210.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...018cda534b.jpg

turbo1k 09-21-2021 09:04 PM

Just take your time and if you have any questions feel free to text me. I improvised without any specialty tools. I’ve done a few and have a spare sub frame so I can look at it to answer any questions.

steve 774-274-8345